Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Indy mechanic going rate

Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Indy mechanic going rate

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking into working with a local independent dealer/shop (Hammersley Motors in glorious Lynchburg, VA) for my AM servicing. They quoted a rate of $129/hour for Aston Martins. Not sure if this implies they have a different rate for Jaguar, MB, Porsche and other brands they service. I have few data points regarding service rates.

For the sake of stimulating discussion, how does $129/hour sound? High to me, except for items that require specialty tooling and/or knowledge, hence the nature of an earlier post. I guess I’m more inclined to change my own oil at this rate, even though I’m (usually) OK

Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It's going to vary ALOT. Especially depending on the competitiveness of the market. That would be really cheap for my area.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Considering AMDC charged $4500 for the 9.5 hours to install a clutch, I would consider it a steal unless you have a better alternative in your area that is expert in your car because the dealer rate is whatever they remove from their posterior.

The rate has to reflect the value of what they work on because a portion of that has to go toward the insurance to cover what could be a very expensive ooops or lawsuit. Don't expect to ever find trustworthy exotic car service for the $69/hour Pep Boys charges [I have no idea what Pep Boys charges].

Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
$100/hr min then depending on experience and regional reputation in the exotic circles....then up! Remember some charge "book" labor time. A job could really take 30 minutes but the rate book says 1 hr -- you pay the book time. The other consideration, is will they STAND BEHIND their work?
In any case your research is important.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:56 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
My local AM - Lotus dealer charges $135 for Lotus and all other makes (they do a ton of older exotic's work) and $150 for Aston Martin.

Kind of rubs me wrong that they charge more for AM since it's the same tech doing the work, but it's still cheaper than the hourly in other locales.