Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

To Clay or Not to Clay, bars, towels or mitts or don't do it !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 11:56 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
To Clay or Not to Clay, bars, towels or mitts or don't do it !

With all the new products on the market I'm hoping to hear some experiences members have had with Claying (other than dropping the car off at a detail shop). Aston paint is known to be soft and of course expensive. We have members rebuilding V-12's, surely some are tackling their paint finish with these new products! Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:43 PM
LuvBurninFuel will become famous soon enough
Claying is easy. You don't use any pressure, and a lot of detailing spray or clay lubricant. I would pressure wash first using auto shampoo that strips any wax or sealant so you start with a clean surface. Claying doesn't take long and only remove contaminants, it does not polish. So you have a clean slate to polish, wax, seal etc. Chemical guys and Adams have great products and a lot of videos.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/complete-clay-system-kit/CLY700.html?gtmListValue=Internal%20Search

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/clay-bar-decontamination/products/adam-s-visco-clay-bar

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-03-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:15 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
There are lots of threads here on washing, prep, correcting, polishing and coatings for our finishes... I'd explore some of those threads first and then start asking some questions

Old 06-03-2022, 04:30 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
I recently did 2600km in the V12 through some atrocious weather and when I got back the car was filthy. I washed it twice but couldn't get the stuck on road grime off. Using a clay bar and plenty of the fluid it was an easy process to get the panels smooth and clear. Then a light polish and car looks brilliant again.

simple to do, doesn't take long and so long as you keep the surface lubricated doesn't damage the paint.

Graze

Old 06-03-2022, 09:03 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
100% you should clay before a polish or a ceramic coat, you will be amazed how smooth your paint will get
I have been a fan for years, it knocks off contaminants without harming the clear

Yes, you can drop it off at a detailer, I find satisfaction in doing it myself . . . Not often, but I do it
I also recommend watching "Pan the Organizer" on YouTube, great tutorial along with product (mostly non-sponsored, I believe) reviews-- Good luck! KH

Old 06-04-2022, 04:07 AM
a102768 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to use clay but use a mitt now. It is so much quicker and seems to do the same job.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:56 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by a102768
I used to use clay but use a mitt now. It is so much quicker and seems to do the same job.
Big time on the mitt!!

I like the fine grade nano-mitt. I can do the whole car in about 20 minutes. Clay or mitt does mar the paint. You should do a polish afterwards. A Rupes polisher is worth every penny. They sell pads that have a matched polish and it's super easy to get pro results if you follow their steps.

The most innovative "must have" detailing product I have relied on recently is CarPro Eraser. It cleans the surface of the car of any oils or residue from polishing before a sealer/ceramic/wax finishing product goes on. The difference it makes and how well the finishing products lasts is noticeable.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:55 AM
Bones 53 is on a distinguished road
Eraser is also a great window cleaner!
Thanks,
JH

Old 06-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Tom_Boy will become famous soon enough
+CLAY! It's like the first thing I do to clean/smooth the paint... Can't go wrong...

Old 06-05-2022, 09:04 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Appreciate the feedback. Always solid info on products for our cars from DYI forum members!