Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Where do you put your gas cap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Noahcpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do you put your gas cap?

filling my V8V - not sure where to put the gas cap. I don’t want it to scratch the car.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
The post on the cap fits into a slot on the gas cap door

Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The post on the cap fits into a slot on the gas cap door
+1
Ron

Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
Kind of.... it doesn't sit in very deep, at least mine didn't, less than 3/16" which felt unstable. I pushed it in too far one time and that caused mine to spring into 4 pieces when i pulled it out... i got it back together and later drilled the hole out to a bigger diameter so that it now sits much deeper with no chance of falling out and easily pulls out without getting stuck. Its soft aluminum and easy to drill out with a hand drill. (I was a machinist in an earlier life... so i dont hesitate on that sort of thing)

Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BDubbs
Kind of.... it doesn't sit in very deep, at least mine didn't, less than 3/16" which felt unstable. I pushed it in too far one time and that caused mine to spring into 4 pieces when i pulled it out... i got it back together and later drilled the hole out to a bigger diameter so that it now sits much deeper with no chance of falling out and easily pulls out without getting stuck. Its soft aluminum and easy to drill out with a hand drill. (I was a machinist in an earlier life... so i dont hesitate on that sort of thing)
+1 I did the same drill out the hole.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
As to bit size I used a 23/64" (9mm) bit and allowed a bit of a wobble to match the progressive change from .890mm to 9.30mm. Then chamfered the opening with a 45deg bit.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Definitely drill the hole larger. If you continue to make it fit in the tight hole one day when you are not paying attention the bottom of the gas cap where the post is will stay in the slot and the nice little spring and spring retainer in the cap will find its way down the fill spout into your gas tank.
(guess how I know this)

Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by papigko
Definitely drill the hole larger. If you continue to make it fit in the tight hole one day when you are not paying attention the bottom of the gas cap where the post is will stay in the slot and the nice little spring and spring retainer in the cap will find its way down the fill spout into your gas tank.
(guess how I know this)
Careful drilling out that hole. Place a rag under a piece of wood to catch that bit before it ruins the fender.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:09 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I just stick it in the hole, it's not going anywhere unless you bang it hard enough, but when you pull it out make sure to grab the whole end of the cap so you don't put pressure on the parts that pull apart.

Has anybody tried to just sand a little off the post instead of drilling out the hole?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I just stick it in the hole, it's not going anywhere unless you bang it hard enough
That's what I did.

Or bring your better half to hold gas cap while you fill the tank...