Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Just so darn happy

Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Just so darn happy

Please forgive the pointlessness of this post, but I just returned home after a short 20-mile out-and-back jaunt in my '06 DB9 Volante...and I'm just so darn happy that I have to write about it.
I'm 65 freakin' years old, and I had to go help my daughter move from one apartment to another. My knees ache and I was tired and cranky after a long day at work, but top-down driving on a June evening in an Aston Martin cures just about everything.
The explosion of sound in my garage when I push the Start button...
The 25 mph saunter through my neighborhood, casually nodding at people I know on my way to the county road...
The exhilarating dash to 70 mph on that half-mile stretch of two-lane where I can see all around and where there's no place for a speed trap...
The entrance ramp to the highway, where those passing by in their sensible daily drivers can see there's something special about to spend a moment in their lives...
The merge, where the Camaro driver thought he was going to make me wait until he passed, but where he learned otherwise and had to smile anyway...
The settling down to 62 mph in the 55 limit, because I really don't need to go any faster and "What I Like About You" is pounding on the classic rock station...
The waves, the thumbs-up, and even the playful puckers from young women a third of my age who are just sharing my moment and acknowledging that life really isn't all Emily Dickinson...
I'm gonna have this car forever. It takes me back to Van Morrison and days when my knees didn't ache.
I've enjoyed and respected and admired other cars, but I LOVE my Aston Martin. It makes me just so darn happy.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
My knees ache like heck too. But I get it, I get it!

Thanks for allowing us to "share" that moment with you.

TAC

Old 06-27-2018, 08:12 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
The best blast for me last week was a 120 mph dash on the on ramp... truly a wonderful experience

Last edited by MRCW; 06-27-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=zuman;4724404]Please forgive the pointlessness of this post, but I just returned home after a short 20-mile out-and-back jaunt in my '06 DB9 Volante...and I'm just so darn happy that I have to write about it.
I'm 65 freakin' years old, and I had to go help my daughter move from one apartment to another. My knees ache and I was tired and cranky after a long day at work, but top-down driving on a June evening in an Aston Martin cures just about everything.

Mike, At 74 years, I truly feel your pain but am just as happy to take a spirited drive in my Vantage roadster on a sunny day.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:40 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
My knees ache, from getting in and out of small low sports cars for 40 years.

Love the story. I actually resisted a red light wrangle with a 5.0GT last week. I could hear him revving it but thought, eh, not tonight. He went tearing off and I just set of normal, passed him about 10 seconds later anyway

Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Your post is not at all pointless... it encapsulates perfectly why we love our Astons!

Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
hell yea man! I hope to still be driving these kick *** machines when I'm your age!

Old 06-28-2018, 09:43 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
"..something special about to spend a moment in their lives". Such prose rarely graces our forum.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I am 60 years young. I have owned and still own some cool cars.
But my Vantage has a real sense of occasion. And I also will keep it for has long has I can drive it. It was my one and only special car to purchase for my self. I wanted to be able to enjoy it while I was young enough to drive it with confidence and a skill set that it deserves.
Your story was very cool, and shows the reason that we own rolling sculpture, that is our Aston Martins.
Ron

Old 06-28-2018, 01:25 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I get it, really get it. These are truly treasured times that the too young are unable to see. Well said Mike and thank you for the wake up call. Time for drive.

Regards,

Old 06-28-2018, 01:38 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
I love stories like this, glad the car is able to bring smiles on everyone's faces. If it's not, you're not in the right car!!

Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Talking

Parked in the garage or on the road, it's funny how Astons make your/our day! Keep smilin'

Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Great post. Now I think I’ll grab a glass of wine and just go out in the garage and enjoy looking at my cars. The Vantage is rolling sculpture, and I never tire of looking at it.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
The other side of the story...

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but as the 30 day-ish owner of an AM, I’ve seen both admiring and fawning glances, as well as downright ugly and aggressive behaviors. Granted, I live in a relatively small southern town, where pickups and SUVs outnumber exotics (and certainly Aston Martins) by at least several thousand to one. So I expect some rudeness. But I have had people purposely try to cut me off in traffic, tailgate, box me in, etc. What gives? Have we become that rude as a society?

Forgive my rant - one too many glasses of Malbec tonight!

DRW

Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DonRW2007
What gives? Have we become that rude as a society?

The simple answer is yes, especially when intolerance is preached daily. But the long answer is, still yes

You just became the a-hole driving your half million dollar car rubbing your 1% in everybodies face. The fact that it cost less than a new GMC pickup has nothing to do with it, I've never found those driving 20 year old F150's flying a confederate flag on a pole in the bed are that astute on exotic car pricing. But still your average Joe won't either, so with the admiring and fawning stares you also get your share of the vile. I found a simple solution, I just quit looking at people.

I've been squeezed out of a merge because they know I'm not going to get that close to their 03' Celica, and I've had the door just slammed on me many times. It's not going to keep me from letting others in or leaving a space for those to turn in front of me, just because there is an endless supply of a-holes doesn't mean we have to join them

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just so darn happy