Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help......Vantage Roadster roof pump fluid top-up and bleed advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 AM
BritDownUnder is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Help......Vantage Roadster roof pump fluid top-up and bleed advice

Hi All

I have an '09 V8 Vantage Roadster.......one of the hydraulic pipes (#13) failed and leaked and the roof stopped operating. I'm in process of replacing the pipe (its pretty straightforward) but was hoping someone would have advice on:
1) what level the hydraulic fluid should be refilled to (nothing seems to be marked on the pump reservoir cylinder and the workshop manual is less than helpful). The cylinder is currently a bit under half full;
2) process for bleeding the system to expel air remembering that the pump ends up being covered by the roof both when up and down making the reservoir end v hard/impossible to access whilst the operation is occurring; and
3) other final 'recommissioning' steps (in addition to window resets).

Thanks everyone!

T

Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 PM
BritDownUnder is an unknown quantity at this point
Update.....

.....ok I guess no-one is able to provide any guidance on this!

Quick update - new hose was quoted over $600 (AUD) from Aston dealership in Australia - seemed ridiculous for a 75cm piece of plastic tube. They also said it would take over a week to get it delivered from the UK. Sadly no local hydraulic workshops had the right end fittings to make one locally. Thanks to Chris Porter at www.cabriolet-roof-hoses.com in the UK - he custom made one for me and had it delivered to me all within 5 days and under $100AUD....... better quality hose than the original too.

Fitting was v easy. Made sure to route the hose as per the original and check for any snags pinching. Then used a syringe with some 3mm hose to fill the new pipe with fluid before connecting both ends - helps minimise air in the system. BTW mercedes does the correct hydraulic fluid at 50% of the price of the same stuff from Aston.......must be a first to go to a Mercedes dealership to save money.

In the end I filled the reservoir to just over half full (when held horizontally as this is what it seemed to look like from the picture in the workshop manual). Operated the roof a few times manually to push some fluid around the system. Then operated a couple of times with the motor - sounded pretty awful at first but gradually got better/quicker and seemed to self adjust. Checked the fluid level again and topped up a bit more (just above halfway). All seems to be ok. I will check fluid again in a week or two and probably top-up a bit more.