Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 Vantage vs R8 V10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:11 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by black penguin
Financially, Aston is doing very well at the moment and their product pipeline looks solid. They have a mid-engined car on the way (personally excited by that). At the moment the future of Aston looks very bright.

I might be wrong, but the V12 Vantage appears to be the very last 6 speed, V12 car sold by any manufacturer (the 7 speed would likely be the last manual V12 sold).

Porsche = last NA Flat 6, 6 speed
Corvette = last NA V8, 6speed
Viper = last NA V10, 6 speed
Vantage = last NA V12, 6 speed

Did I miss anyone?
Yes, you are correct. Ferrari offers a V12 but only with the 7 Speed F1 Dual Clutch transmission and the Lamborghini Aventador has a V12 and a 7 speed ISR Semi-automatic.

So your argument carries weight except ......

Now I am going to play the Devil's Advocate:

Read this Bloomberg article:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-a-stick-shift

So selling a V12 with a 6 speed transmission is Old School, not better, not faster, just more fun and more engaging.

But that only makes it desirable to a certain breed of driver,. You have bragging rights that you have one of the last, but you also have the distinction of being behind from a technology perspective. As the article states its analog in a digital world.
I am afraid that the number of people in the future who will want a manual gearbox will be steadily declining and I am not sure how valuable that will be in the long run. It makes it rare but does it become an asset or a liability?

Does a car with the last 3 on the tree, 4-speed, or 5-speed become more valuable because of it?
So what makes you happy? Does shifting your own transmission through 6 or 7 gears make you happy? Or does being the fastest guy on the track make you happy?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
No One Asks for a Manual McLaren. —-> Correct, but that’s because the whole point of that car is to be the fastest.

Being the fastest has never been the point of Aston Martins (though that may change). They weren’t even really that fast when they were new (compared to the very fastest from the competition). While the Porsche GT3 cars, the Vipers, the Ferraris, the McLarens etc are chasing numbers, Aston was chasing a different type of driver engagement.

Its funny how Porsche now separates their sports cars into two camps, PDK cars for ultimate lap times and 6 speed cars for ultimate driver involvement. The Touring cars are a strange hybrid of both ideologies.

At this point cars like the V12V are almost vintage in their appeal. Everything about them feels like they are at least a generation or two behind. For the type of driver who wants the latest, the fastest, the most bragging rights, that’s a huge drawback. But for the type of automotive enthusiasts who seek out older cars, the rules are different. For those drivers and you only need 1200 worldwide, there might be real appeal in cars with big naturally aspirated engines, 6 speeds and analog gauges etc.

Not to mention as the price of 6 speed F cars rises, they likely lift the value of the brands too.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
No One Asks for a Manual McLaren. —-> Correct, but that’s because the whole point of that car is to be the fastest.

Being the fastest has never been the point of Aston Martins (though that may change). They weren’t even really that fast when they were new (compared to the very fastest from the competition). While the Porsche GT3 cars, the Vipers, the Ferraris, the McLarens etc are chasing numbers, Aston was chasing a different type of driver engagement.

Its interesting how Porsche now separates their sports cars into two camps, PDK cars for ultimate lap times and 6 speed cars for ultimate driver involvement. The Touring cars are a strange hybrid of both ideologies.

At this point cars like the V12V are almost vintage in their appeal. Everything about them feels like they are at least a generation or two behind. I think they are going to feel very old in the next few years as cars make the next leap. For the type of driver who wants the latest, the fastest, the most bragging rights, that’s a huge drawback.

But those people aren’t really ever going to buy one of the V12 cars. They will likely appeal to the enthusiasts who seek out older cars, and for them the rules are different. For those drivers and you only need 1200 worldwide, there might be real appeal in cars with big naturally aspirated engines, 6 speeds and analog gauges etc.

We could find the old NA V12 cars with their slow 6 speeds, could become the air cooled 911’s of the Aston future. Or they could just be old cars no one likes. What the Vantage has going fo them is universal love for how they look, and that carries a lot in the future used market.

Not to mention as the price of 6 speed F cars rises, they likely lift the value of the brands too, as they price out many buyers and they seek alternatives.

Then again they might lose all appeal once electric is the dominant mode.

Last edited by black penguin; 08-15-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by black penguin
We could find the old NA V12 cars with their slow 6 speeds, could become the air cooled 911’s of the Aston future. Or they could just be old cars no one likes.
For sure the former. They are just too pretty and special to be looked past, moving into the future.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mjanis
kind of sad driving has gone from being fun and engaging to "gotta have the best numbers" track poser nonsense when in reality like what 2% of cars ever even make it to a track?

might explain why everyone has their cell phone stuffed in their face these days as driving is just plain BORING with an automatic

Old 08-16-2018, 12:23 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sonies
kind of sad driving has gone from being fun and engaging to "gotta have the best numbers" track poser nonsense when in reality like what 2% of cars ever even make it to a track?

might explain why everyone has their cell phone stuffed in their face these days as driving is just plain BORING with an automatic
I sent a picture of an F12 Ferrari the local dealer has for sale to a friend. I think the car had like 700 hp and friend is like "I thought it would be faster 0-60 with all hp..." He just doesn't get it. It's not about the paper stats...

Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sonies
as driving is just plain BORING with an automatic
Sorry, have to take issue with that statement. I've had torque converter automatics in my various daily drivers for the last 15 years, and none of them has been boring. It all depends on the car, the quality of the transmission, and most importantly, the engagement level of the driver.

The real reason you see so many people with cell phones glued to their ears or fingers while driving is the same reason you see people change lanes without signalling, drift in their lane, pull off at the last moment, run lights, etc. - a lack of engagement with the task at hand. Most people couldn't care less what they are driving, whether it was boring or interesting by some enthusiast's definition.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:35 PM
One of the issues with most of the newer generation cars is the huge torque bands, not the transmissions. Even with manual transmissions, there is just no crescendo, so you find you are stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time. The truth is you barely shift even though you have a fantastic shifter (I had this issue with the latest generation Porsche Spyder).

On the other hand I had a turbo 4 in my Alfa 4C that needed constant shifting (paddle) to keep it on boost. It was very old school in many ways as the engine had some turbo lag. People complained, but it honestly made you DRIVE the thing. You had to shift, and at the right time.

My memory of my V12V was that it was a fun car to shift and that motor reved up so fast to the unmarked redline.

Last edited by black penguin; 08-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.