Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Piano Black Center Stack Fascia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 AM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Question Piano Black Center Stack Fascia

For those of you that have it on your cars - I have a dumb question about the piano black center stack fasica: how does this finish hold up over time? Specifically, does it tend to craze, crack or dull? I'm looking at a couple of different Vantages and one of them has the piano black stack. While it does look awesome I'm curious how it will hold up in the long run after being exposed to sunlight, etc.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:32 PM
talltim is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi can crack from each corner of the sat nav aperture particularly on later variants which use a different substructure

Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
my 2012 fascia still looks great. it does get scratches but I just use car polish to bring it back to a gloss.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
my 2012 fascia still looks great. it does get scratches but I just use car polish to bring it back to a gloss.
For any scratches or marring, a simple 1-2" buffing pad with a polish will take them right off. For protection I actually use a coating on all clear coated surfaces in the interior. Helps a bit against marring, but keeps it from uv damage. Easier to clean also.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I wipe down the piano fascia with furniture polish like Pledge and it looks great. Same with wood veneer in cars that have them.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:22 PM
rgi
rgi is on a distinguished road
Slight hijacking of the thread (sorry) but it's almost related.

Is the piano black cover for the nav strong enough to hold a suction cup for a phone without cracking? I'm struggling to find a good place to mount my phone. I've scanned the forums and have yet to see a great solution. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
my 2007 v8v piano black waterfall still looks like new, 11yrs old now. guess it depends on how much
direct sunlight it is subject to on baking hot summer days.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:06 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rgi
Slight hijacking of the thread (sorry) but it's almost related.

Is the piano black cover for the nav strong enough to hold a suction cup for a phone without cracking? I'm struggling to find a good place to mount my phone. I've scanned the forums and have yet to see a great solution. Any advice is appreciated.
i use a magnetic disk mount that annoys to the AC grill for my phone mount.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:08 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
has anyone painted the edges of the piano black fascia, around the nav screen. . you can see any unfinished edge all around mine. I was thinking about painting or or at least a black marker to darken the edges...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Liilpa09 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MRCW
has anyone painted the edges of the piano black fascia, around the nav screen. . you can see any unfinished edge all around mine. I was thinking about painting or or at least a black marker to darken the edges...
I plan on going the marker route to get rid of the tan coloring that is right underneath the black but visible around the edges, it does bother me as well!

Old 09-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I found you have to be extremely careful - not a great material for a cars interior that can be easily scratched. I changed my Piano Black upper to Ash. The radio screen is also very soft. I just purchased a 2013 SLK55 with 15,000 miles - the interior is as showroom new, I wish Aston's were as durable, however the leather is much stiffer in the Mercedes.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:22 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Liilpa09

I plan on going the marker route to get rid of the tan coloring that is right underneath the black but visible around the edges, it does bother me as well!
You should feel the opposite. That's real piano finished wood as evidenced by the layers of ply visible on the edges, not some imitation plastic.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
You should feel the opposite. That's real piano finished wood as evidenced by the layers of ply visible on the edges, not some imitation plastic.
while this is true, I've never seen a piano with exposed edges on display...

Old 09-10-2018, 07:28 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MRCW
while this is true, I've never seen a piano with exposed edges on display...
This is not a piano, it is an Aston Martin and therefore it is perfect by design. Only a philistine would dare to 'fix' perfection. And using a black marker! You, sir, are NOT a spy!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RandyV
For those of you that have it on your cars - I have a dumb question about the piano black center stack fasica: how does this finish hold up over time? Specifically, does it tend to craze, crack or dull? I'm looking at a couple of different Vantages and one of them has the piano black stack. While it does look awesome I'm curious how it will hold up in the long run after being exposed to sunlight, etc.
On my 09 Vantage roadster,, 16k miles, my piano black fascia has been as original. FWIW, I do try to minimize sun exposure (except when diving top down).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Piano Black Center Stack Fascia