Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Vantage -- another disappointment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
I think you may only be thinking of the Elise... The Evora 400 is a 3.5L V6 at over 400 HP and dimensions at V8 Ferrari models.

I got way more looks & "red carpet" in the Evora than I have ever in either Astons. One of the reasons for getting rid of the Evora as it attracted too much of a crowd.

Here are both the new Vantage and Evora 400 at the local AM-Lotus dealership; they look similarly cool to me.

Bright the blue thing is very pretty for sure and def not an Elise
we don't get those here, nice car !

Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
The bumperettes are the least issue on the Vantage and just government regulations. Porsche's bumperettes are fulgy as well.
There are several other, larger train wrecks hidden on that car.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:33 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sonies
Tiff Needelll loves the new vantage compared to the DB11... watch this video the first minute it had me laughing so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITL1RNsfSg0
geeeee zus Tiff has got old.
wot a boring video, watched to the end ....hoping to see him trash the s h 1 T out of it ....what a disappointment.....in line with the new Vantage

Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by V12Vin
4-time Lotus owner here btw. I don't think ever bought a Lotus expecting to get the attention. I got it for the go-kart feel. I don't care if pple takes me seriously or not even if it's powered by 3 corgis.

I do however concur with your comment about home-made kit car, especially for the Evora. Heck, I even think McLaren feels like a kit car.

But it doesn't mean there is no room for improvement. Lotus will overcome that with the new ownership.
I did not buy it for attention either, but it sure gets it. It looks like it could be a Ferrari, Lamborghini, NSX, McLaren... People just know it's something like one of those. I guess kit car and light fall into the same feeling? I never had any rattles in my Evora.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sonies
Tiff Needelll loves the new vantage compared to the DB11... watch this video the first minute it had me laughing so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITL1RNsfSg0
Surprised how both of these sound like crap compared to previous gen. Of course, that's what I should've expected considering the use of an AMG fart can motor...pass.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by captain Greg
lets be honest the new Lillttle ankle biter from Lotus is cute, but let's be real no one will bother to take you seriously if you arrive in Lotus ....e.g.: do you bother entertaining the boys in the Subaru at the lights? Exactly but they are nice cars for young petrol heads with a limited budget and don't come into consideration when we are taking Vantage price tag, or pure on road presence.
Lotus has always looked like a home made kit car contraption IMO
I've gone through 3 Vantages while I've kept the same Lotus for 10 years. I would always consider Lotus no matter the price point, because their cars drive like nothing else on the road. They make pretty much every other car built in the last 25 to 30 years feel like driving through molasses. They are an object lesson in everything that is wrong with modern cars: excess mass.

It strikes me that perhaps you have not had much seat time in Lotus cars. If you have, well, we'll just have to agree that you and I are clearly looking for different things from our sports cars.

As for on road presence, there is no comparison. My Exige has always drawn WAY more attention than any of my Astons.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:55 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Nobody can deny that Lotus is one of the best suspension tuners on the planet so that the cars drive amazing would be expected. And of course anything with lots of wings and scoops and flares will make people look, like driving a Lambo. The beauty of the Aston is, it's beauty. Not everybody is going to stare, you don't stick out like a smashed thumb.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by spinecho
I've gone through 3 Vantages while I've kept the same Lotus for 10 years. I would always consider Lotus no matter the price point, because their cars drive like nothing else on the road. They make pretty much every other car built in the last 25 to 30 years feel like driving through molasses. They are an object lesson in everything that is wrong with modern cars: excess mass.

It strikes me that perhaps you have not had much seat time in Lotus cars. If you have, well, we'll just have to agree that you and I are clearly looking for different things from our sports cars.

As for on road presence, there is no comparison. My Exige has always drawn WAY more attention than any of my Astons.
See post #43. Lotus owners know why they're special, others will never understand why.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
of course anything with lots of wings and scoops and flares will make people look, like driving a Lambo. The beauty of the Aston is, it's beauty. Not everybody is going to stare, you don't stick out like a smashed thumb.

Mmmm now it's clear that you and I are on the same page, mabye the guys who buy cars in order to be noticed need a bit of on the couch therapy as on the road therapy is second price?

personaly I dislike fins excessive scoops wings and high pitched high reving annoying little cars, in an underground parking you hear these annoying things for ages before they finally find a parking, in contrast the burble of a well tuned V8 is not as disturbing.

gents I'm TIBA on this one, but in conclusion this is a Aston place for Aston men, ...I don't bother reading Lotus Forums, Audi R8 forums, or they brand that every dick with a car allowance can afford the Porsche Forums, however in its Defence the new 2018 911 GT I drove was brilliant in its ride and feedback, handling.....but I doubt if I owned any of these I would look back at it after locking it in a parking lot....just to admire it.
when I park the Aston I can't help looking back and saying to myself my god that is perfection...

Old 09-15-2018, 12:43 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Same paragraph

I drive my Vantage because it makes me smile from the time I see it until the time I don't. Pushing in the Emotional Control Unit to start and hearing it burble to life makes me smile. Turning up the B&O on my favorite song can change your mood. Semi hard launches from 3000 are a hoot, almost as much as a hole shot from 5000! The sound of it passing 6000. The perfect heel toe thru 3 gears and hitting the apex just right. And roasting the tires every now and then is mandatory, That always gives me goosebumps! The occasional shot of adrenaline when the back end floats out unexpectedly, and intentionally, or you catch a 4 wheel slide because you're at the apex when you realize, did it just rain here? That was yesterday in the hot offramp, took me all the way to the grass off gas before the front bit enough to get the back in line, there was a little oh **** moment in there. The off duty fireman that walked over last night getting gas and asked if I minded if he looked at my car, like it was my girlfriend and I may get jealous, great guy, long chat, I didn't buy it because others would covet it, I covet it, but it is nice to see the smiles it gives others too.

But that's just me. There are those that would rather see a Honda with a 6" exhaust and tires at a 45* angle, and that's what makes them smile, and some of us scratch our heads

Old 09-16-2018, 03:41 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
And our first used example. Built 4/18 with VIN 00110 - probably a press car.

Last edited by yankee04; 09-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by yankee04
And our first used example.
I'd bet that is one of the demo cars.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I just bought for a daily driver an AMG SLK55 (2013) with 414HP which weighs similar to the V8 Vantages I used to own - that's where the similarities stop. Forget parts mixing etc, the older Vantages (not 2019) are visceral in multiple ways. My SLK55 while being a very well made car, tiny and powerful, does not have the 'personal connection' in any form any of my V8 Vantages (2007, 2009, & 2015) had. It probably can do 0-60 better than a V8 Vantage, just won't feel like it. It might even corner better - just won't feel like it. You sit in the SLK55, it's ok - just ok, you sit in a V8 Vantage, its wonderful. What the previous Aston Corporate ownership nailed correctly is the essence of the car - the soul and beauty thanks to Fisker's talent, and the feedback that gives the perception of better power, handling, etc. You pull up in a V8 Vantage and everyone will think you have great taste - everyone. I pull up in the SLK55 and they wonder why my wife is letting me drive her car. You pull up in the 2019 Vantage and people will wonder - not in the same way as before, just wonder. Some in a good way, others not so much. The new ownership has zero clue what the essence of Aston historically was - elegance. The DB11 in certain colors can be elegant. The V8 Vantage, maybe in Black or some other color that hides the weirdness of the design, but not sure what can be done with the interior. I drove the new Vantage - did not get any of that old feeling I traditional felt in 30 years of Aston ownership - none of it. Of course with a great number of dealers all committed to a minimum volume of orders and a short floor planning period, they might profit, even if the dealers don't. I certainly won't be buying any Aston stock primarily because of the 2019 Vantage, but would have 10 years ago if they went public.
I’m not sure I understand how you can compare a SLK55 (MSRP in the low to mid $70k’s) with a V8 Vantage ( MSRP north of $125k)?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by captain Greg

re....can't you read ...I said I just been with one.....?
sorry thought you just said you saw one, not drove it... btw you sound like my best friend who is also a private pilot, your posts always crack me up!

Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=sonies;4739056, your posts always crack me up![/QUOTE]

That's refreshing, normally they just insult a certain sector of the owner group ....you no the type who sit at home in the rocking chair, pipe in the mouth looking at the fat wife and trying to convince himself he has had a full life, while glancing over at the shotgun and wondering if he should rid himself or her

your mate knows the advantage if being a private for hire pilot I'm sure .....it's the only job in the world unless your Donald Trump where you come home and announce your off to some place for work for a few days, park your car in the hanger and fly of to Nikki beach for a bit of R&R we try not to come home with a new accent like Russian you also have to be carful not to mention ping pong ***** and bottles in the conversation

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Vantage -- another disappointment