Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Porterfield brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
Porterfield brakes

I recently switched my DB9 over to Porterfield R4-S brakes mainly because i couldn't stand the ridiculous amount of brake dust the OEM pads made. I had a difficult time fitting the OEM anti squeal shim plates to the new brake pads ( both front and rears wouldn't line up correctly). After fiddling with them for a bit I finally got it together.
I've been driving it for a few days and I'm pretty happy with them so far but the rears are starting to saueal a little under light braking. More of a nuisance then anything. I'm considering taking out the squeal plates and just slathering the pads with some "disc brake quiet" and see what happens.
Kind of wondering how everone elss was running their setup? Ive seen some using EBC pads running no shim plates at all front or rear. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
I also installed the Porterfields on my V8V. I did have squealing for a while and now it only happens intermittently. But the brake dust issue is 99% better. I had them installed at a gas station so I don't know anything about shim plates.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Another happy Porterfield brake user. Very happy with them on my V8 Vantage. Now if I could find the for the DB11. It makes a crazy amount of dust. I have to clean the wheels every time I drive it.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I have the Porterfields and installed them myself without any shims or anti-squeal paste. No squealing, ever. And lots less brake dust than OEM.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
I put Porterfields on our V8V this past spring. Much better regarding dust, did have issues with squealing - ended up getting the front disks skimmed - did not do the same with the rears. I didn't install the shims but did use some anti-squeal paste. Still get occasional squeal from the rear but generally not a big deal. Some say the noise comes from the hand brake pads and not the new main pads, although not sure why changing main pads would cause the hand brake pads to start making noise.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:28 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Do you guys bed them when new?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Been selling these going on 10 years now for the Astons. If you have the odd bit of squeal, an anti-squeal paste will help, but I find just getting some heat into them now & then cures the problem for some time, if they squeal. But that said, I've had many owners who had squealing issues with the original equipment, and found the R4-S was squealing way less.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-09-2018, 05:52 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Purchased the RS-4 pads from Stuart when my Vantage was new. Perfect!!!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
I switched to Porterfield R4-S pads because of the constant dusting from the factory pads. I installed them myself. Used CRC Brake quiet. Bedded them in with a couple of highway runs. They work like a charm. No squeal- No dust. You can get them from Rich at Redpants.lol or Stewart@VelicityAP. I figured I would spend more $ buying wheel cleaner than the cost of the Porterfields if I didn't change them.
If anyone is interested in a set of slightly used original brake pads, let me know.