Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

can you turbo or blow an Aston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:48 PM
flGT2 can only hope to improve
can you turbo or blow an Aston?

Hi Guys, after owning a GT2 and a 997.2 turbo I'm looking at maybe getting into an Aston. My question is, has any one either put twin turbos or supercharged one.What power did it make and was it reliable? Any other suggestions for getting more power. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Forced induction is quite expensive for these cars, but it's been done. The ready off the shelf kit is from GMR

http://gmr-uk.co.uk/

Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM
nice info, Thankyou

Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
just buy a V12, will probably wind up costing you less...

Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Stuart was working on a twin turbo that was in testing but was building too much heat and they started over a few months ago

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4729633

Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The first question is which Aston are you looking at? A couple are already turbo charged and others have more than enough power that you may not be thinking it's needed. There are also header/tune kits that bump up HP quite well. Which models have you test driven so far?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:55 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Excellent review Richard. As you know, when you're ready I'm ready for the GMR supercharger.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 PM
The first question is which Aston are you looking at? A couple are already turbo charged and others have more than enough power that you may not be thinking it's needed. There are also header/tune kits that bump up HP quite well. Which models have you test driven so far?

Looking at Vantage V8,
with the header,exhaust and tune what sort of extra power can be gained ?
After driving the Porsche with the PDK Im thinking about the sport shift but the reviews on this are very mixed.What is the issue with this gearbox?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
OK - this is my opinion only, so take it with a gain of salt. I have a V12S with 565HP which I feel is a bit overpowered for the car for my daily driving in Minneapolis traffic. Having an 07, an 09 and a 15 Vantage GT all V8's, I can tell you each have a unique but great personality. The 07 was loud and high revving but low torque - so you have to be in the upper rev ranges all the time to get the power out of it, which became immensely enjoyable after I got used to it. Somewhat like an older Ferrari. Really loved the sound. Then I got an 09 (base) Vantage and the power was more Mustang-like with a ton more low end torque and drove very different, but I lost that always in the upper revs sound. The 09 was my first Sportshift where I was able to eliminate the heavy clutch of the 07 and still be involved modulating the gas pedal... the right combination of raw involvement without the pain of everyday traffic. My 2015 GT was more visceral - louder and a bit more power. Both the 09 and the 15 had 20" wheels with a lot fatter tires than stock, and both in aggressive driving allowed me to floor the car without ever breaking the tires loose - typically on entrance ramps in city traffic. The first time I drove a V12 was a 2011 Vantage and it was a cold day (about 55 degrees) and I was constantly breaking the tires loose. The first time I drove a V12S - same thing. You cannot drive a V12 like a V8 as it will be constantly be fighting the traction control nannies (wearing down the brakes and tires). The Vantage GT (same as a Vantage S) sounds spectacular, the V12S I find not so much. The V8's powerband varies so you can hear by sound and feel where you are at, whereas the V12S (for me at least) is like an electric motor - extremely linear, so it's more difficult to feel and hear where in the powerband I'm at. So why did I get a V12S anyway if I found it less enjoyable than the V8's? It's a more special car - only 160 Coupes imported into the USA in 2015, the difference in trading up was only $20K from my 2015 Vantage GT and I gained an extra 2 years warranty, the V12S looks more impressive even though it's only slightly different, and the materials throughout and attention to detail seems more upscale which might be my imagination. I think possibly long term, the 2015 V12S vs. the 2015 GT will hold it's value better if I keep it long term. Instead of looking at an older Vantage to modify, I'd test drive one of the many Vantage GT (2015 or 2016) on the market - some at great prices, you may find them pretty sweet as is.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:19 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Instead of looking at an older Vantage to modify, I'd test drive one of the many Vantage GT (2015 or 2016) on the market - some at great prices, you may find them pretty sweet as is.
This is great advice and then there's always the V12 Vantages...

Old 09-26-2018, 11:34 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
OK - this is my opinion only, so take it with a gain of salt. I have a V12S with 565HP which I feel is a bit overpowered for the car for my daily driving in Minneapolis traffic. Having an 07, an 09 and a 15 Vantage GT all V8's, I can tell you each have a unique but great personality. The 07 was loud and high revving but low torque - so you have to be in the upper rev ranges all the time to get the power out of it, which became immensely enjoyable after I got used to it. Somewhat like an older Ferrari. Really loved the sound. Then I got an 09 (base) Vantage and the power was more Mustang-like with a ton more low end torque and drove very different, but I lost that always in the upper revs sound. The 09 was my first Sportshift where I was able to eliminate the heavy clutch of the 07 and still be involved modulating the gas pedal... the right combination of raw involvement without the pain of everyday traffic. My 2015 GT was more visceral - louder and a bit more power. Both the 09 and the 15 had 20" wheels with a lot fatter tires than stock, and both in aggressive driving allowed me to floor the car without ever breaking the tires loose - typically on entrance ramps in city traffic. The first time I drove a V12 was a 2011 Vantage and it was a cold day (about 55 degrees) and I was constantly breaking the tires loose. The first time I drove a V12S - same thing. You cannot drive a V12 like a V8 as it will be constantly be fighting the traction control nannies (wearing down the brakes and tires). The Vantage GT (same as a Vantage S) sounds spectacular, the V12S I find not so much. The V8's powerband varies so you can hear by sound and feel where you are at, whereas the V12S (for me at least) is like an electric motor - extremely linear, so it's more difficult to feel and hear where in the powerband I'm at. So why did I get a V12S anyway if I found it less enjoyable than the V8's? It's a more special car - only 160 Coupes imported into the USA in 2015, the difference in trading up was only $20K from my 2015 Vantage GT and I gained an extra 2 years warranty, the V12S looks more impressive even though it's only slightly different, and the materials throughout and attention to detail seems more upscale which might be my imagination. I think possibly long term, the 2015 V12S vs. the 2015 GT will hold it's value better if I keep it long term. Instead of looking at an older Vantage to modify, I'd test drive one of the many Vantage GT (2015 or 2016) on the market - some at great prices, you may find them pretty sweet as is.
So nicely summed up!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 PM
@Prefurbia

@Prefurbia
[img]/6speed/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif[/img]
[img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif[/img][img]/6speed/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif[/img]

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this.It was very informative and helpful too me. I am going to look at a Vantage S tomorrow, I test drove a DB9 today and although the look of the car,and its interior were absolutely gorgeous the drive was a little lack luster. Unfortunately coming out of a highly tuned 911 turbo,most everything is going to seem tame. Im just going to have to get my head around the fact they are 2 very different beasts.
Thank you all for input on this,curious to know how much extra power you guys can get from headers,exhaust and a tune on the 4.7 V8 ?

Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I think the most important word in Prefurbia's post is "personality". These cars have character, they aren't merely tools of speed like a Porsche. You have to enjoy the car, not the speed. The looks, the smell, the feel of the controls, the sounds. There will always be faster cars, but nothing has the personality of an Aston Martin.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:30 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
>Thank you all for input on this,curious to know how much extra power you guys can get from headers,exhaust and a tune on the 4.7 V8 ?

I couldn't find a dyno report from Velocity on the complete power pack on the 4.7 but it would be a little better than the 4.3.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage Power Pack Upgrade with Exhaust
Our Price: $7,595.00 Exc GST

Save $1500 with this package price!

The Ultimate Aston Martin V8 Vantage Performance Package Includes all of the Following Velocity Automotive Performance Products:
  • Performance Exhaust in Your Choice of 3 Sound Levels, or custom-tailored to your specification
  • 200 Cell Sports Catalysts
  • Performance Equal Length 4-1 Exhaust Manifolds/Headers (NOW HOMOLOGATED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON ASTON MARTIN RACING GT4 RACE CARS!)
  • High Flow Motorsport Air Filters
  • Performance ECU Tune
This Power Pack was independently tested on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road. Known the world over for being the most accurate and consistent dynos, Dyno Dynamics are also known as 'The Heartbreaker' because they are notorious for their low-readings. Our customer's car produced baseline peak performance figures of 335.5BHP. Following the installation of our manifolds, sports catalysts, exhaust system & ECU Tune, the peak BHP figure was raised to 378.8BHP. An increase of 43.3BHP or 12.9%.

Given that Dyno Dynamics are notorious for giving low readings, it is important to recognize that these dyno results actually represent a BHP gain of greater than 43.3BHP. The manufacturer's stated output for the 4.3L V8 Vantage is 380BHP. A 12.9% increase over this figure would represent a gain of 49BHP, and a flywheel output of 429BHP.

Similarly, torque has been increased by 35-40ft/lbs from 4000RPM onwards, an increase of around 13-15%. The manufacturer's stated maximum output is 302ft/lbs @5500RPM. The true flywheel torque figure on this test car is now likely around 345-350ft/lbs. This is perhaps the most significant area of improvement. Downshifting is now much less necessary in order to access the torque band, and this 4.3L car will now outrun a 4.7L later model car.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 AM
Hi , What are the gains on the 4.7 ? would they be around the same ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can you turbo or blow an Aston?