6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Flashing the CRM, what does that mean? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/424792-flashing-crm-what-does-mean.html)

Denver V8V 10-01-2018 12:21 PM

Flashing the CRM, what does that mean?

I'm about to replace the CRM in my V8V R and in watching redpants video he mentions I have to take it to the dealer to have it flashed. What is "flashing"? What does it do? He also mentioned some CRM's may not have to be flashed.

I located anew one from Scuderia at what seems to be a reasonable price v. the dealer. Redpants doesn't sell them anymore.

cuddapah 10-01-2018 02:55 PM

Flashing is the process of updating software with pre-defined optimal settings for various modules in the car.
In your case it might be just setting new CRM to work with your car.

J doubleU 10-01-2018 03:01 PM

Yep, programming new module to vehicle. You shouldn't have to do it. Plug and play. Unless you have any other roof faults.

Denver V8V 10-01-2018 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by J doubleU (Post 4741719)
Yep, programming new module to vehicle. You shouldn't have to do it. Plug and play. Unless you have any other roof faults.

Well my instrument panel went dead, no speedo, tach and icon light for brake and more lit up. Of course roof won't operate either. After reading thru the forum and seeing a photo that shows exactly what my issue is it was easy to arrive at this conclusion. Glad to hear I may not need to have it flashed. I would assume a plug and play situation

Thanks for the info

got one 10-05-2018 04:56 PM

So, was it an easy fix? Where in Denver are you?

Denver V8V 10-07-2018 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by got one (Post 4742691)
So, was it an easy fix? Where in Denver are you?

No. I have to replace the CRM and ordered the part.

Downtown, not far from the ballpark

zuman 10-08-2018 03:27 PM

When I had to replace my CRM I ordered a replacement from one of the well-known overseas supply houses. The new unit arrived, I plugged it in myself, and it didn't work. I reconciled myself to getting it flashed by a dealer, so I drove four hours to the nearest one. The service manager called me and said that the technician couldn't get the new unit to accept the flash, but their parts department had a CRM on the shelf. I shrugged and said ok, and they installed their unit, saying it did not need to be flashed.
It's worked fine since then, and I returned my other unit, eating the postage and restocking fee.
Good luck!
By the way, you probably know that if you remove the defective unit your gauges and lights start working again. Your roof won't open, but at least the rest of the car functions.

BMW-North 10-08-2018 04:11 PM

I read this and another related thread with interest as I am trying to understand why the CRM failure would cause items to stop functioning that are outside it's control and actually controlled by a different module (CEM)?. I think an earlier poster might be correct when he stated that the CAN bus which is the comm network CEM uses to control those devices is pulled down by the failure of the CRM. The post above seems to confirm that. Still seems odd though? Any ideas?

Curious also to any diagnostic errors folk who had this issue have seen.

robkat 09-23-2019 05:43 AM

Re-activating this post for questions and HELP.

I also assumed I had a dead CRM, roof not working, many errors on the dash, etc. I ordered a new CRM unit from Scuderia, paid about $700. Then I had a local mechanic swap them out. Nothing. Same problems, still have dash lights showing Tire Pressure, Check Engine, Passenger Air Bag issue, and the roof is not functioning.

I get that the car might need to be flashed now, but someone said in an earlier post, the top should still work with the CRM installed, correct? I'm just going to get the lights all crazy and acting up or a dead dash, but it should still function.

If that is the case, anyone know what to check to see why my roof isn't working at all after installing the new CRM?

Cryptogenic 09-23-2019 06:59 AM

Is that an easy fix?

randyb 09-23-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by robkat (Post 4801931)
Re-activating this post for questions and HELP.

I also assumed I had a dead CRM, roof not working, many errors on the dash, etc. I ordered a new CRM unit from Scuderia, paid about $700. Then I had a local mechanic swap them out. Nothing. Same problems, still have dash lights showing Tire Pressure, Check Engine, Passenger Air Bag issue, and the roof is not functioning.

I get that the car might need to be flashed now, but someone said in an earlier post, the top should still work with the CRM installed, correct? I'm just going to get the lights all crazy and acting up or a dead dash, but it should still function.

If that is the case, anyone know what to check to see why my roof isn't working at all after installing the new CRM?

Not necessarily, mine still acted up till I got the CRM flashed. Your roof will not work till the CRM is programmed, one of the things it does is tell your motor when to stop.

robkat 09-24-2019 06:37 AM

Thanks for your feedback, the dealer is always booked or unavailable for weeks for an appointment. Seems crazy just to have something flashed quick, but alas, that is Aston. And a dealer is the only place huh? No special computer anyone else would have at repair places?

Ginzao 11-09-2023 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by zuman (Post 4743065)
When I had to replace my CRM I ordered a replacement from one of the well-known overseas supply houses. The new unit arrived, I plugged it in myself, and it didn't work. I reconciled myself to getting it flashed by a dealer, so I drove four hours to the nearest one. The service manager called me and said that the technician couldn't get the new unit to accept the flash, but their parts department had a CRM on the shelf. I shrugged and said ok, and they installed their unit, saying it did not need to be flashed.
It's worked fine since then, and I returned my other unit, eating the postage and restocking fee.
Good luck!
By the way, you probably know that if you remove the defective unit your gauges and lights start working again. Your roof won't open, but at least the rest of the car functions.

I myself have been looking for a savvy CRM system that will be reliable and you can no longer worry about the bottom line. This is really important now if you want to get ahead in various social networks. For example, in the same onlyfans. I was lucky enough to find onlyfans management here and they really helped me. I now use this CRM and can track all the trends in my channel and correct problems and shortcomings in a timely manner.