Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Got T-boned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:15 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Got T-boned

So basically I was going straight and had the right of way during traffic and a car came out from my right trying to turn left on a big street when he hit my passenger side. My window exploded and the side airbag went off, my driver seat belt is now stuck also. The car drives fine but went into crash mode immediately afterwards with lots of shaking until I turned it off.

My questions are: how can I get diminished value reimbursed from their insurance, also how can I get an in-kind rental reimbursement for however many months it will take to repair or will they total it? It’s a custom ordered 2016 Vantage GTS 1 of 100 and was my dream car. Now I don’t think I can live with it having gone through this, and I don’t really want to keep it. I’ve called both insurance companies and filed a claim with theirs (Triple A) and the adjuster will call me tomorrow so I want to be prepared. This is in Los Angeles. Should I take it to Harry’s or European Motor Car works in OC? Thank you everyone

Last edited by rohnin; 12-28-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Oh man that's tragic - sorry to hear this

hope you get a solution

graeme

Old 12-28-2018, 04:42 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
Glad you are ok. I read a post on this forum a while ago about a guy that had his tires changed at a place that missed the jacking points and made a crease in the frame. It was a total loss because the uni-frame could no longer be certain to crumple in an accident. You very well may have a total loss here if the frame underneath is bent at all.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That's a hard lick! Stupid careless drivers. Appears safety worked with the bag and belt. I can't speak for Harry's work but I have used European Motors for 2 repairs and have been pleased with the repairs. I would get it to a shop ASAP to start the process of repairing and to figure out what is best and everything involved. Glad your OK, physically.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to see and read about this happening to your car.

You'll never get "in-kind rental reimbursement", just a regular car rental unfortunately. Work with your local AM dealer and/or AM certified body shops for appraisals. Stick with the certified shops only on this.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:56 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
This is going to take some leg work on your end for you to come out as good as possible. You'll need to find repair costs, times, rental costs, and the value of a car with an accident in it's history. Then you'll be in a position to decide what you want to do. At that point, hand the bill to the driver at fault. Let him/her deal with their insurance company. When things go south, you can sue them. Your insurance shouldn't be involved at all unless you want them to handle the deal and subrogate for you, but then you're not in control.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-28-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
This sucks and it looks like this may be totaled. The main thing is that you’re OK.

sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
oh my god this makes me so sad!!!

Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
If it's your dream car, why do you think you won't be able to live with it after the repair (assuming it's repairable... and I'd bet it is)? When a car is repaired properly, you should never notice a difference in how it drives or looks. Do you actually plan to sell your dream car someday, in which case, the diminished value would matter? I don't understand your concerns.

Regardless, I'm really sorry that happened. I'd be devastated, too.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
We can have more than one dream car, right? I wouldn't want to own it after that. It's fine for the next owner to start off with when repaired correct. That's a 20K repair if done by a certified shop; my guess.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Do you think I should just drop off the car ASAP to the Aston certified shop? Either way it will need to go there to be fixed or assessed. Or should I take it to a dealer first as is to see how much devaluation happened?

All I know is that the car will never be the same again after a repair no matter how good and even though it’s my dream car it’s ruined

Old 12-28-2018, 11:00 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear this. I'd have AM dealership send a tow truck and let them handle it from here. You can potentially file a diminished value claim if the vehicle is repairable (not totaled).

Originally Posted by rohnin
All I know is that the car will never be the same again after a repair no matter how good and even though it’s my dream car it’s ruined
It's not the same when the car is marked with an accident on the report.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by rohnin
Do you think I should just drop off the car ASAP to the Aston certified shop?
Absolutely. You need all the of the facts. How much will it cost to be repaired. Their number is what your insurance company will use instead of their regular appraisers who assume Earl Scheib is painting it. It's a big deal to repair an Aston per factory standards. Certified shops charge like $40+ an hour more (than they would on MB. Audi, etc..) and the total time is much longer.

After you get that number, then go by your dealership to discuss (service manager). They are on your side and want you to continue to be customer in either your repaired car or a new to you one. They should give you honest advice.

One thing about cars; there's always another.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
"There's always another".... not that he custom ordered and is the original owner of. Unless he can go to Aston Martin and order another good-looking generation Vantage, he'll be driving somebody else's specified car.

It only matters that there's an accident on the history report for resale value. So if you don't sell it, the accident doesn't matter. If it's repaired properly, it absolutely will feel the same (anything else is in your head). And if it feels the same and looks the same and you still want to sell it, I think you're being ridiculous.

If your wife had to have surgery, but the incisions healed and you literally couldn't tell she ever had surgery, would you divorce her because "she's just not the same"?

It's a silly collector mentality to think a car is inherently worse just because it's been in an accident. If Aston Martin looks at it and says it's repairable, they mean "it can be like it was before the accident." In fact, I'd encourage you to ask the AM certified shop specifically that--will it be like it was before the accident? If they say no, then you're justified in selling.

Last edited by Mathman85; 12-28-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:18 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Happy to hear your ok- Sad about your pride & joy. Hopefully your insurance company is in step with your wishes. They will go after the at fault driver's insurance. Keep a log of your conversations with everyone you speak with. Allow what your are told to sink in. Don't be too quick to answer or committee unless your 100% satisfied. The question about diminished value has come up before with various answers but a lot depends on the laws of the state you live and the car is insured. Some insurance companies offer "agreed upon value" policies. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got T-boned