Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 Vantage waterfall removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:10 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
2013 Vantage waterfall removal

The first step in the workshop manual for the waterfall removal shows using a tool inserted in the vents to "release" the waterfall before pulling it up at the corners. Yet I have not seen this mentioned in any of the posts I've found on removing the waterfall. Is this something new for the 2012.5+ cars or just something that is unnecessary? Thanks.

David

Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
They sell more vents that way.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The waterfall cracks so easily when I switched to an Ash panel, for $80 Morries Aston Martin changed it because if I did it, the thing would have likely shattered.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:01 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
I removed the waterfall in my DB9 to paint it gloss black and didn't use any tools. I began by releasing the top from the nav by releasing 2 clips, one in each corner. Then I placed both hands in the opening that was created, pulled upward and the waterfall readily came out.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
There's fat wedge plastic trim tool sold by many places in a kit, I just insert the wedge along side and wiggle up, ski-slope/waterfall pops right out. Just make sure to get under the panel and not between the panel and wood itself. Here's a link to the same kit I use..nothing special about it except mine is orange

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...set-67021.html

Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
I have the same kit from Harbor Freight. Mine are red. What I'm hearing is that I don't need to worry about relasing anything from inside the vents. My waterfall is carbon fiber so should be pretty tough, but I'm going to be extra careful.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by davidm17
I have the same kit from Harbor Freight. Mine are red. What I'm hearing is that I don't need to worry about releasing anything from inside the vents. My waterfall is carbon fiber so should be pretty tough, but I'm going to be extra careful.
There's nothing in the vents to release. The AM tool is just a hook that fits into a hole in the vent, the tool then gives the tech something to pull on. I've found over the years, using this AM tool would scrap more vent surrounds when tool slips versus just using the plastic wedge watching out for the leather trim.

If you have Garmin nav, just make sure to have a Phillips driver ready, there's a safety strap with 2x screws needing to be removed from the top center speaker grill area(along with all the connectors). Once you remove the wood trim, you will then have access to these 2x screws.