Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wind noise coming from windshield on driver side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 03:22 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Wind noise coming from windshield on driver side

I noticed loud wind noise coming from windshield on driver side. Sticked tape all round the windshield and didn't notice any change. Noise can be heard even at low speeds like 38mph. I reset the windows. It didn't help. Any thoughts ?

Last edited by cuddapah; 10-21-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
It might not be wind noise. I had a show car that I swore had wind noise. The car was perfectly restored and came from a notable collection. It was restored but never sorted or driven. It turned out that the front wheels were out of alignment and the tires were scrubbing making a noise like wind noise.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:10 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I inspected a car in Florida and the guy had a habit of leaving his windows down, evidently part way one time because the weather striping had melted into the window compressed in one spot and when I was test driving it there was a lot of hiss from the poor seal. Not saying that's it but I would check the weather striping.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:28 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gene G
It might not be wind noise. I had a show car that I swore had wind noise. The car was perfectly restored and came from a notable collection. It was restored but never sorted or driven. It turned out that the front wheels were out of alignment and the tires were scrubbing making a noise like wind noise.
Thanks Gene! Tires are new, balanced and aligned. But, I'll call Orlando AM Service and setup an appointment today.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I inspected a car in Florida and the guy had a habit of leaving his windows down, evidently part way one time because the weather striping had melted into the window compressed in one spot and when I was test driving it there was a lot of hiss from the poor seal. Not saying that's it but I would check the weather striping.
Thanks! Will get this checked.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Also check the 'dropped window' function... perhaps it could be a simple reset of the drivers window module.

Don Byrd at Aston Orlando is a great SA.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by MRCW
Also check the 'dropped window' function... perhaps it could be a simple reset of the drivers window module.

Don Byrd at Aston Orlando is a great SA.
Thanks! I already did a rest on the both the windows. Checking with Don for an appointment.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I had a wind noise on my RR after taking delivery we thought it was an out of line wing mirror, it turns out Land Rover put ther top guy into the car and he told me it's the door rubber on the passenger side ?
i thought what a twit, as it turns out they ordered a new rubber trim put it in and the noise was gone?
Wind noise can be very decieving
i think the window could also be out of alighnment the side windows on the Vantage they are adjustable in the sub frame and with constant opening and hard closing it could have moved

just some thoughts from my side guys.

Let us know now when you get it sorted

greg

Old 10-25-2018, 06:24 PM
AM Tech showed small gap on the top corner with windows in top position and adjusted them. Seems to be ok now.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Convertible?

Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by randyb
Convertible?
Coupe.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:10 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Look at the top side window, just below where the door meets the A frame. there is a hard plastic piece. Just below that, it pushes the weatherstripping out and will cause leaks.
IM me you email addres and I will send a pic.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by randyb
Look at the top side window, just below where the door meets the A frame. there is a hard plastic piece. Just below that, it pushes the weatherstripping out and will cause leaks.
IM me you email addres and I will send a pic.
PM'd you.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:32 PM

And now water seeps in and destroys the speaker. Not sure what the tech fixed.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cuddapah

And now water seeps in and destroys the speaker. Not sure what the tech fixed.
Just a thought---- try one of two things----1. Clean the rubber window gasket seal with isopropyl alcohol; so it is clean. Clean the groove also that the window slides into there in the front corner if I am thinking correctly. 2. Try maybe pulling out on the gasket just a bit and see if that seals it better. If it does, then its just a matter of adding something to the under neath part of the gasket to keep it out a bit.

Obviously its a seal that is not sealing with pressure. Also at speed, pressure may be sucking the glass outwards, which then allows for air and now water to seep in. Hence your wind noise above 38mph.

I would think something along the lines of what I said will fix it. The water has now helped you figure out just where the issue is. So that is a huge plus IMHO. Should be a simple enough trial by error fix. This definitely is not a common issue with DB9's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wind noise coming from windshield on driver side