6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Apparently they don't manufacture the Conticomfortkit for our run-flat tires anymore (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/425665-apparently-they-dont-manufacture-conticomfortkit-our-run-flat-tires-anymore.html)

sonies 10-23-2018 08:37 AM

Apparently they don't manufacture the Conticomfortkit for our run-flat tires anymore

So I have to drive across the country in a couple weeks and wanted to get a new tire kit in case I get a flat somewhere since my kit is about 8 years old and they go bad after like 3 years... well apparently after much google searching they don't make the Conticomfortkit anymore, I called tire rack and Continental directly and they discontinued it! They are supposedly going to make a newer and better package in the uncertain future but I was pretty disappointed to hear this news.

So I bought a slime kit from amazon for only 18 bucks https://amzn.to/2PUiBMV ... I REALLY hope I don't need to use it, but will let you know how well it works if I do since this is quite the unfortunate thing to have happen!

Anyone else have any experience with these kits?

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 10:24 AM

You can order the refill bottles from Bits. It's the bottles that are dated, nothing wrong with the rest of the kit.

http://www.astonmartinbits.com/model...age/parts/2076

sonies 10-23-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4746061)
You can order the refill bottles from Bits. It's the bottles that are dated, nothing wrong with the rest of the kit.

http://www.astonmartinbits.com/model...age/parts/2076

but if they aren't making them anymore aren't they just selling old bottles?

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 10:46 AM

EXPIRY DATE 10/2022

4 years left.

blue2000s 10-23-2018 10:54 AM

AAA membership and a cell phone is a much better solution.

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 11:00 AM

Cross country, middle of nowhere, a tire could take 3 days to get. If the fill kit works you drive it and get a tire wherever you're going.

sonies 10-23-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4746066)
EXPIRY DATE 10/2022

4 years left.

oh thats not bad at all, now I know for the future!

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 11:04 AM

If they're not making any more in the future the expiry date is still going to be 10/22 ;)

blue2000s 10-23-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4746076)
Cross country, middle of nowhere, a tire could take 3 days to get. If the fill kit works you drive it and get a tire wherever you're going.

Fix-a-flat doesn't always work and can't help on a significant cut.

No AAA, stuck in the middle of nowhere, can't hold it up with fix a flat. Better hope someone nice comes by.

I'll take AAA every time.

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 11:28 AM

Correct, and you have a good point, but it's a 50/50. If the tire is fixable you're off and on your way. NO sealant and you have no other option. And I've never had AAA. I have a phone and google tells me what tow trucks are open in the sticks you find yourself in. AAA gets you a small discount from a specific company with no flexibility.

blue2000s 10-23-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4746096)
Correct, and you have a good point, but it's a 50/50. If the tire is fixable you're off and on your way. NO sealant and you have no other option. And I've never had AAA. I have a phone and google tells me what tow trucks are open in the sticks you find yourself in. AAA gets you a small discount from a specific company with no flexibility.

It's actually a significant discount depending on the situation. I'm not sure how a random tow truck near you is better than a AAA backed company, but I suppose there's logic in it to someone.

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 11:44 AM

In the sticks, it's near me. That AAA backed company I pay for every year for that chance to get a discount once a decade may not be the one near me, in the sticks.

It's a choice thing, I like having choices, AAA sends who they're going to send. It doesn't mean they're the best, it means they've proven adequate enough to be in the network.

My Z decided to leak all the slave fluid 5 floors down in a very tight Madison Ave parking garage. It took 7 calls, including 3 that had AAA labels, to find a tower with a flatbed and enough experience to take on the job of pulling it out. They came with a pickup loaded on the flatbed, the pickup pulled me out, by chain on my tow hook. I actually had to steer the car while one drove the truck and the other spotted. It took a full hour to get it out and on the truck, and then another hour to tow it 15 miles into Jersey to the nearest Nissan dealer on my side of the river.

They were not AAA rated. Did a fantastic job.

Graze 10-23-2018 02:52 PM

I had a flat about 18 months ago and used the tyre kit. Perfect. Got me home and new tyre.

when I went to get a replacement bottle I found it was hard to find. Eventually sourced a Volvo one (my car is an 07 V8V) from Volvo dealer for about $50 and can dig out the part no if anybody wants it

i also had to clean out the pump unit and lines to make sure the foam didn't set in them and block them for next time

Graeme

HabitualOffender 10-23-2018 02:54 PM

There is a BMW equivalent also I ran into searching for it on this side of the pond. There are larger bottles but the ones that fit in the kit are harder to find.

J doubleU 10-23-2018 07:08 PM

Astons do not have run flat tires. If you have good tires I would not worry about a thing. That's what a road trip is all about. Throw some things in the car n go. AAA and $$ will help one survive. Try having an adventure before navigation systems, cell phones and gas n food stops every 50mi.