Potential New Owner has questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Potential New Owner has questions

Hello Gents,

Considering joining the V8V family.

Looking to maybe sell my '13 Jag XK and move in to the AM Vantage. I've owned a 911 and Cayman S previously. Let me just say how much I truly enjoy my XK; the driving experience. It's not all about raw power in the XK and that's one of the things I love about it.

Budget for the replacement toy car (not my DD) is probably <60K. I've been reading reviews, forums, you name it. V8V gets great reviews and I love the car buying process.
I'm looking for the 4.7L motor which puts me 2009-2011 based upon budget.

Questions are:
Other than "buy the newest model year you can afford", any major differences or interesting differences between the '09 and '11 car or just get the example that meets my spec requirements?
Importantly, any known gotchas to look for?

Here's my thought process thus far:
  • Prob looking to purchase from a dealer for accountability purposes; have the clutch wear check done assuming a manual.
  • Prob looking to purchase from a dealer to trade my XK (vs. dealing with the BS of a private sale) and pick up the Ext Warranty if available.
  • Would consider buying from a Private seller if the car has full service history and honestly, I like the seller.
  • Not looking for a garage queen, but not high mileage either; somewhere around 20K preferred and 30K high water mark will work. Being around the 911s, there are many issues with barely driven cars that have very low miles.
  • Prob looking for Black interior since ALL my experiences with light leather has shown that the lighter the leather the more it stains (shirt dye, etc...).
  • I do have a full service lift etc at home, so home maintenance is not a problem... I can wrench and find it therapeutic honestly.
  • I tend to like the Silver, Grey, Black and BRG (more traditional colors). I'm not a fan of the Red, Blue etc... They look nice, just not what I want in my Aston.
What are the typical/expected reductions on a dealer sell price? For a $55K car, what's typical to pay for it...$50k? I get that it comes down to a negotiation, but I'm curious in the Aston world if the prices are static or if they move much?

My purchase time frame is end of 2018; got a few weeks to find a good car.

Any additional advice and or thing I should consider would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Matt.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:47 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by englishmatt
Hello Gents,

Considering joining the V8V family.

Looking to maybe sell my '13 Jag XK and move in to the AM Vantage. I've owned a 911 and Cayman S previously. Let me just say how much I truly enjoy my XK; the driving experience. It's not all about raw power in the XK and that's one of the things I love about it.

Budget for the replacement toy car (not my DD) is probably <60K. I've been reading reviews, forums, you name it. V8V gets great reviews and I love the car buying process.
I'm looking for the 4.7L motor which puts me 2009-2011 based upon budget.

Questions are:
Other than "buy the newest model year you can afford", any major differences or interesting differences between the '09 and '11 car or just get the example that meets my spec requirements?
Importantly, any known gotchas to look for?

Here's my thought process thus far:
  • Prob looking to purchase from a dealer for accountability purposes; have the clutch wear check done assuming a manual.
  • Prob looking to purchase from a dealer to trade my XK (vs. dealing with the BS of a private sale) and pick up the Ext Warranty if available.
  • Would consider buying from a Private seller if the car has full service history and honestly, I like the seller.
  • Not looking for a garage queen, but not high mileage either; somewhere around 20K preferred and 30K high water mark will work. Being around the 911s, there are many issues with barely driven cars that have very low miles.
  • Prob looking for Black interior since ALL my experiences with light leather has shown that the lighter the leather the more it stains (shirt dye, etc...).
  • I do have a full service lift etc at home, so home maintenance is not a problem... I can wrench and find it therapeutic honestly.
  • I tend to like the Silver, Grey, Black and BRG (more traditional colors). I'm not a fan of the Red, Blue etc... They look nice, just not what I want in my Aston.
What are the typical/expected reductions on a dealer sell price? For a $55K car, what's typical to pay for it...$50k? I get that it comes down to a negotiation, but I'm curious in the Aston world if the prices are static or if they move much?

My purchase time frame is end of 2018; got a few weeks to find a good car.

Any additional advice and or thing I should consider would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Matt.
search forum
Get "book"
dealer cannot check clutch wear on a true manual
Where are you? US or UK or ROW?
Color combos are pretty standard. Should be good examples out there
Get PPI from dealer our good Indy
don't avoid private party... many are meticulous with their cars
good luck

Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Thank you for you reply, helpful and much appreciated.

oh - I’m in the US. Atlanta to be precise.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:04 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Matt,

The early 4.7 are fairly rare as not too many were produced but they are still out there to be found, take your time and do your research and you won't regret it. Good luck

Here is a good example right in your backyard... https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos...antage/1905396

Last edited by handyman2009; 10-30-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: adding
Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Matt,

The early 4.7 are fairly rare as not too many were produced but they are still out there to be found, take your time and do your research and you won't regret it. Good luck

Here is a good example right in your backyard... https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos...antage/1905396
Thanks for your reply. I actually went to see this car; unfortunately it's not as good as the ad shows. The car's engine blew on a test drive and is now waiting for a new one from AM. There are chips and marks all over the car and the leather seats are stretched quite badly for such low mileage. Lastly, they have a deposit on the car so it's sold. This is a car I'd take a pass on.

Yes, I'm taking my time, have no issues traveling to look at the right car and purchasing from anywhere in the country. I have a garage full of motorcycles from all over the country (I love a good road trip).

Cheers for the reply.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I bought a 2009 Vantage (many years ago) with 30K miles on it - drove it 14K miles trouble free, the next owner had to do the clutch - not sure at how many miles. I had a 2007 - trouble free and a 2015 (not so trouble free). As with any 'sports car' scheduled and required maintenance is important, and any of the previous owners could have been overly aggressive driving. Most of the Vantage owners I know don't beat them up, but a few I've seen be overly aggressive. I also think buying from an Aston dealer and asking for at least 1 year warranty as part of the sale would help protect you - keeping in mind that wear items like the clutch are not under warranty.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by englishmatt
Thanks for your reply. I actually went to see this car; unfortunately it's not as good as the ad shows. The car's engine blew on a test drive and is now waiting for a new one from AM. There are chips and marks all over the car and the leather seats are stretched quite badly for such low mileage. Lastly, they have a deposit on the car so it's sold. This is a car I'd take a pass on.

Yes, I'm taking my time, have no issues traveling to look at the right car and purchasing from anywhere in the country. I have a garage full of motorcycles from all over the country (I love a good road trip).

Cheers for the reply.
there's a thread on here about that particular car... apparently sold to someone in Florida... had six owners and pretty beat up

Old 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Get the "Definitive Guide" book. It has a detailed list of the differences between the various years. If you are serious about getting a car then the book is a valuable resource and will pay for itself. Take your time like others said and don't get so tied to a car that you can't walk away. I would look at all cars for sale, dealer and private, and evaluate each one separately. I saw some dealer cars that looked sketchy and many by owner cars were immaculate. If you want to trade in the Jag then obviously a dealer is your only option. Color combo and the manual will be your limiting factor as manuals are harder to come by. Many of us, myself included, looked and waited for months before the right car came up for sale. You may be hard pressed to find the car you want in a few weeks time.

avid

Old 10-30-2018, 01:37 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
As a former XK owner, I can appreciate your affinity towards that car. I'd look for leaking from the front of the engine. Expensive job. Assume you'll need a clutch at some point and keep that budget handy. You'll be much better off unloading your Jag first and then looking. I had an '11 with sports suspension which I believe came standard on newer models. I would not disqualify and appealing color. Look for leather shrinkage at the top of the center console and the two flat pieces on top of the dash. Look to see if the wheels have been repainted and the status of the brakes. If you are worried, go for an older model from an AM dealer with the Timeless warranty for a couple of years. Just like a new car warranty. You can also get a car certified by Aston and then be qualified for their warranty. Was thinking of doing that on my Rapide, but local dealer service manager seemed to think my car was solid as is... It's insurance....

Have you considered the DB9 or Rapide? I would drive them all before deciding.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
I'm on the fence contemplating on selling mine.
It's a 2014 Vantage manual (6 speed) Tungsten Silver and red calipers with Obsidian leather and red stitching.
Car currently has 19,2XX miles. It's my daily driver. I use it but I don't abuse it. It's always serviced at AM Newport Beach (have all papers/records). Car runs perfect. Needs nothing as is.
It's a California car. I'm second owner (bought from AM Newport Beach with 1,600 miles. Previous owner was an older MD from Santa Barbara)
Car has Full (bumper to bumper including mirrors and roof) clear Suntec PPF (paint protection film) placed around time of 4,000 miles.
Has full owner transferable factory extended warranty (original expired July 2017) until July 2019.
I don't know how much you're planning to spend...?
If this car fits your requirement then shoot me a PM.
After all, it's an used AM Vantage so I have realistic expectation for a selling price but I'm going to give the car away for dirt cheap either.
What would you guys/gals here think it's a fair market price for a car like mine??

Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PK_Vantage
What would you guys/gals here think it's a fair market price for a car like mine??
Mid 70's

Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You buy an 09-11' because you want that lower paint edge on the front instead of the later splitter cars with extended duck tail. That was the reason I specifically wanted a 09-11', and the fact that after 11' it takes over 10 seconds to turn the nannies off in a 2 part operation, twice as much time as on the previous one step, and I always turn them off. The pre splitter cars have that pure original design but with the added power, updated interior, and you the N400 sills post 09', though I do prefer the mirrors on the 09'.

Getting the book is the best advice you'll get in this thread, besides have patience, narrow down exactly what you want, and then spend all the time necessary to buy the right car. And I stress if it's 3000 miles away, fly 3000 miles and inspect it in person.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
You buy an 09-11' because you want that lower paint edge on the front instead of the later splitter cars with extended duck tail. That was the reason I specifically wanted a 09-11', and the fact that after 11' it takes over 10 seconds to turn the nannies off in a 2 part operation, twice as much time as on the previous one step, and I always turn them off. The pre splitter cars have that pure original design but with the added power, updated interior, and you the N400 sills post 09', though I do prefer the mirrors on the 09'.

Getting the book is the best advice you'll get in this thread, besides have patience, narrow down exactly what you want, and then spend all the time necessary to buy the right car. And I stress if it's 3000 miles away, fly 3000 miles and inspect it in person.
i got my 09 for most of the reasons above, plus of course the 4.7, updated center console and the updated ASM software...

Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 AM
I bought my '11 as that was the coolest looking one of any year I could afford at the time. N400 sills & manual were the only two mandates. The color combo I was open to as long as I thought it was cool looking.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
i live right down the road from you in ksaw and selling mine, but it's not a 4.7. i personally debated btw the 2 during my search process but settled on the 4.3 not only due to cost, but the fact that w/some fairly simple bolt on's, performance was comparable to a 4.7. goodluck in your search.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential New Owner has questions