Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all

I just inspected the 3 sitting at FCKAM after the thread talking about the huge panel gaps, which aren't. The clamshell gaps on all 3 were consistent except the china gray had 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. What I did find was panel fitment issues, like doors out of line. Flush at the top but proud at the bottom pooched out from the rear quarter, and this - this isn't going to fly on $184,000 cars except with a great salesman and the "they're handmade" line.

But to the point of the thread, the more I looked at the 3 cars the more I started to dislike them again. I didn't like the pictures, the first personal look it grew on me a little, the second was the test drive and I did that comparison photo shoot against mine, and I still thought it was OK, absolutely LOVED the drive, but we're talking strictly about aesthetics here, and the more I looked at the 3 of them the more I started reverting back to, bleh. Especially with the Vanquish sitting 3 spots away.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
I'm with Gene G. I have driven the DB11 and think it retains the historic lines of the classic Aston brand. However, the looks of the new Vantage are sadly a disappointment when compared to my 09 Vantage. Perhaps it's because I am an old school 75 year old. However, I believe classic beauty in automotive design is appreciated by all ages. The new Vantage does not seem to have captured that.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 PM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
44. AM fan since seeing a new Virage being delivered in 1996. The DB9 was a “one day” dream for many years.

I like the new models. The Vantage the least, the DBS the most. Us lucky few that own our older, naturally aspirated machines can enjoy ours for many years to come, the new models will only add value to the brand.

For me, of the more recent AMs, it doesn’t get much better than a 2012+ Vanquish Coupe. I adore (maybe a little too much, and obsess on the details a little too much maybe, perhaps) my 2010 hardly any tech DB9 Volante.

If I had to choose another, it would be a 2014 ish Vanquish, with the dark blue paint and dark tan interior, with a plate “HP SAUCE” - because, why not.

One day

Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sonies
hey man if you want every iteration of the car to look the same just buy Porsches
The thing is I was a Porsche guy too and every iteration of Porsche has had its detractors. 356 to 912 or 911. 914 to 924. SWB 911 to LWB. 964 to 993. 993 air cooled to 997 water cooled. Etc, etc, etc.

so the brand is evolving much like a Porsche has. Not everyone is going to like it and that is ok. But much like Porsche where everyone hated the Boxster headlights in the 997, Hopefully the AML factory will hear the comments and adjust.

But I digress.

To answer the question set forth, I am 64 years old and own my first Aston a 2007 DB9 Volante. I love the car with all its quirks. For me, the new Vantage is not a car I would want to own. It is too radical departure from the previous. It appeals to a different market than me. Maybe in a few years, after depreciation takes its toll, I would buy a DB11 V12 or a superleggera. That’s more my style.

I think the Front View is bad. The Headlights are too small and the grill opening is too big. It looks like a lamprey or a sucker fish to me. Headlights look too much like the new Miata.

I do like the rear end view and I like the big fender flairs. I am not a fan of putting the AMG engine in the car. I like the styling of the AMG GTS much better.

I do do not like the Block letters on the tail. Just put a badge there. If you want to spell it out, buy a license plate frame. BTW I also hate the way Porsche spells it all out on their new model 911s too.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
New Vantage

Originally Posted by mjanis

The thing is I was a Porsche guy too and every iteration of Porsche has had its detractors. 356 to 912 or 911. 914 to 924. SWB 911 to LWB. 964 to 993. 993 air cooled to 997 water cooled. Etc, etc, etc.

so the brand is evolving much like a Porsche has. Not everyone is going to like it and that is ok. But much like Porsche where everyone hated the Boxster headlights in the 997, Hopefully the AML factory will hear the comments and adjust.

But I digress.

To answer the question set forth, I am 64 years old and own my first Aston a 2007 DB9 Volante. I love the car with all its quirks. For me, the new Vantage is not a car I would want to own. It is too radical departure from the previous. It appeals to a different market than me. Maybe in a few years, after depreciation takes its toll, I would buy a DB11 V12 or a superleggera. That’s more my style.

I think the Front View is bad. The Headlights are too small and the grill opening is too big. It looks like a lamprey or a sucker fish to me. Headlights look too much like the new Miata.

I do like the rear end view and I like the big fender flairs. I am not a fan of putting the AMG engine in the car. I like the styling of the AMG GTS much better.

I do do not like the Block letters on the tail. Just put a badge there. If you want to spell it out, buy a license plate frame. BTW I also hate the way Porsche spells it all out on their new model 911s too.
I agree, it looks like an algae eater with Miata headlights. I am 62 and most modern car design seems to lend itself to the "transformer generation" with louvers, slots and wings. Even the new 911s are going here. Not for me.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The new Vantage is the least attractive of AM's offers in the last few years, but it's still pretty cool to me. There looks to be a lot room to evolve the new design and my hunch is that effort is underway or has already been done.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:21 AM
QuantumV8 will become famous soon enough
34, drive a 2010 V8. I prefer the elegance over the race inspiration, which has been creeping in since the lipstick and the stripes.
I think the DB11 retains the elegance and has almost the best-designed Aston wheels of the last decade. But its lacking the manual transmission.
I haven't driven the new Vantage yet. Its performance may well be next-gen, but thats not in my top 5 reasons for wanting to drive an Aston.
Look, sound, feel, manual, marque (then probably performance)

Old 11-03-2018, 06:11 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
As a healthy (and lucky) 70 year old I have had the privilege of owning some of the most beautiful cars; E-Types, Z8, 330 GTC, Dino 246, R8 and of course my 2014 V8V.
In my opinion performance without beauty/elegance has little appeal.
The new Vantage is an ugly vehicle and will never find space in my garage.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Logannz is on a distinguished road
I'm 47 and I'm genuinely struggling, I have to admit some of the pictures, colours and angles look good though. the new DBS however is simply stunning especially in person, so I definite have hope for the brand for guys like me yet.

It's worth adding, I travel to China regularly, the Boss's all LOVE the new Vantage.. and I mean really really love it. These are factory owners who pay for cars with suitcases, like we pay for dinners. Not one of then could drive a manual for sh*t either..

Old 11-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
I am 62. What I don't about the new Vantage or actually hate is the new front grille. If the car had the same grille as the DB 10 it would be a great looking car. Having said that I still like the look of the old Vantage and DB9 better. A friend of mine has a current Vantage and a new one on order so I will see them side by side and will have a better perspective.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Logannz
It's worth adding, I travel to China regularly, the Boss's all LOVE the new Vantage.. and I mean really really love it. These are factory owners who pay for cars with suitcases, like we pay for dinners. Not one of then could drive a manual for sh*t either..
I don’t know if suitcases full of money can buy good taste...

Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rohnin

I don’t know if suitcases full of money can buy good taste...
I am 73 years old but I know good design when I see it, and the new Vantage’s design is a hot mess.The review’s high rear lights are actually not horrible; however the confluence of bits around the exhaust pipes and the confusing rear diffuser attachment leaves me depressed.The side view is at least pretty good and is the best part of the car.Any design credentials left by Aston was thrown out the window when they designed the front of the car. My guess is that they were so infatuated by the Vulcan that they literally lost their minds.They forgot one of the tenants of design, that is, scale and proportions.To illustrate, I have again attached two photographs of the Vantage and the Ford GT.The Ford Gt is arguably the best looking car in the world. Look closely, the Vantage’s grill and lights look somewhat like the Ford’s, except for the proportions.Where the Ford’s front end, lights and grill are perfectly proportioned, the Vantages’ grill is vastly out of proportion with its lights and the overall size of the front end.Someone mentioned that China loves this car.That about says it all.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
There is definitely something about the proportions of that aggressive front design. Just hold your finger across your field of view. Take off the bottom half of the grill and the headlights look OK, but if you block the top half it just accentuates the relative scale of the grill in the overall design. Contemporary no doubt, and somewhat dates the outgoing Vantage, but time will tell if the new design wears as well as the undeniable classic lines of its predecessor. (61 bought mine new at 57)

Old 11-05-2018, 12:37 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
I'm 48, NOT a fan at all. the only part that I like is the rear end, the rest of the car is fugly, totally out of proportions & interior is so busy, that make me dizzy when I look for more than 10 seconds. I can stare at my Vantage for hours....

Old 11-05-2018, 12:54 PM
bunob is on a distinguished road
I'm 47 years old - Dislike the new gen cars, including db11.
My "old" Vantage is the most beautiful car ever build.
Except the Vanquish ;-) !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage