Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I'm mid to late 50.... I'm going to have to do another two tours and earn the Benjamin franklins in the East, I am on the fence with this car, my Vantage is like new never been in the rain ever and never seen a dirt road. That said it's almost 6 years old now and while it's still a stunning car it lacks the new feel, it still a head turner ( not the reason I own it) but with the new body now out the older model will soon age fast, being the label **** that I am I will most likly get this car, I can't see myself going German or Italian, Italian cars scream look at me I have a small *****, the Germans stuff says hey look I got a middle manager job....or I'm a sales person.
aston is a brand amongst brands and it's will always be exclusive, and will always be the one that simply just stands out.
yes it has German DNA now this means we can drive it ....Hard! Something the current Aston owners cannot do, sorry guys don't get sweaty on that comment my definition of hard is not a spirited Sunday drive on the coast road like that video that was posted.
astons when driven hard need work, and with the AMG tried and tested history of reliability it brings a certain amount of we can rivit the darn thing.

just like we had to get over Roger Moore as James Bond we did eventually embrace the new blond bond so if god spares me to bang afew more broads and earn some more US I will be adding this to my toy box

Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by captain Greg

just like we had to get over Roger Moore as James Bond we did eventually embrace the new blond bond so if god spares me to bang a few more broads and earn some more US I will be adding this to my toy box
Hopefully your wife is not reading this thread (smile)

Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Ok, I will chime in. I am 61, And have owned a 2007 Vantage and now a 2016 Vantage GT. The Vantage that i currently own is a classic work of art in my opinion.I think the new line of Aston's was a necessary evil in todays market. I was invited to and Aston martin focus group in 2014.
Most of the owners where complaining about the center stack. lack of model identity, better Auto trans, ECT. So think Aston Martin, did was they thought the customer base was asking for. Pus bringing in younger buyers.
The new Vantage is growing on me, after looking at a few at the dealer. I will still hang onto my 2016. For one, 0-60 and 0-100 are nice talking points, But in the real world, it is not worth the higher price of the new cf the Vantage for me. And I like to row mine owner gears.
I don't care that the Auto trans is quicker. For me it is about a normal aspirated motor and a stick shift.
Ron

Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I'm 63 and like Ron, I'm on my second Vantage. I like (not love) the evolution of the new car but I simply do not like the front end of it. I also do not like the sound of the AMG V8 turbo engine. I too am a manual transmission guy and I will probably replace my 2013 Vantage S with the new Vantage S manual if that ever arrives (this assumes that AM evolve the front end to something similar to the new DBS). One thing that I noticed whilst driving the new Vantage is that it handles so much better than the old one... but hopping back into my normally aspirated Vantage S I felt the driving experience (sound and manual shifting) to be so pure. For now, I'll be keeping an eye out for updates and will look to make a change when the 2020 model comes out.

Last edited by AXARUNNER; 11-06-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Since we are doing ages here I'm 58. First Vantage for me former Porsche guy. My last 911 Turbo was fast as all get out and brutally modified with bigger turbos, semi race suspension, howling exhaust and tuned. It was putting down about 520hp to the wheels. But beside nobody wanting to get into the car with me (no fun as a passenger in that car), it left me wanting. I don't street race, I just like windy roads. I could never use that Porsche even close to its limits and if I tried I probably would have killed myself.

Enter the *slow* Vantage. After the 911TT I wasn't looking for 0-60 record setting, but It is still plenty fast enough that I don't hardly ever get it to its limits and it's way more fun to drive than my Porsche's were. I only bring these things up because I think THE major complaint against our car is it's power. Unless you track it regularly that doesn't matter. I doubt any of us take race bait from the kids out there. I bought this car because it's mostly analogue and it's beauty, it's specialness. IMHO the it was until last year the most beautiful car being built today. And it's a blast.

On to the new Vantage, it answers the upgraded power issue, but so what. It still can't be used at it's extremes. The power is mostly for spec sheet junkies and keeping owners feelings from being bruised compared to other cars. All the reviews from the experts are from a track POV. So effing what? Please raise your hand if you are a track junkie? If so, you've probably thought of getting a different platform than any Aston. I think the new Vantage is a major step backward from an aesthetic design standpoint. Fisker did a wonderful job on the previous version especially the original styling. The new Vantage needs a major facelift and even then I don't know if it's salvageable. I like the looks of the DB11 much more and I don't much care for that car. I'm pretty sure my current Vantage will be my last Aston. I'll be retiring soon and will just hang onto it and give to one of my kids someday. It won't hold its value but It will always hold it's beauty. No regrets.

Last edited by deckman; 11-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:21 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender

I just inspected the 3 sitting at FCKAM after the thread talking about the huge panel gaps, which aren't. The clamshell gaps on all 3 were consistent except the china gray had 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. What I did find was panel fitment issues, like doors out of line. Flush at the top but proud at the bottom pooched out from the rear quarter, and this - this isn't going to fly on $184,000 cars except with a great salesman and the "they're handmade" line.

But to the point of the thread, the more I looked at the 3 cars the more I started to dislike them again. I didn't like the pictures, the first personal look it grew on me a little, the second was the test drive and I did that comparison photo shoot against mine, and I still thought it was OK, absolutely LOVED the drive, but we're talking strictly about aesthetics here, and the more I looked at the 3 of them the more I started reverting back to, bleh. Especially with the Vanquish sitting 3 spots away.
I have noticed on a few DB11's that the panels don't line up perfectly either. The HOODs are the largest issues. Since they are clamshell design they need to line up all around the headlights, the front bumper, the door frame, and the lower side quarters. Thats alot of lining up.

I noticed the hood flares out near the side quarters and due to that they stick out 1/8-1/4 in which makes that corner stick out from the flushness of the door panel. Also near the front bumper on the sides.

What I am noticing is some errors in large number manufacturing. Since AM had started to increase volume hugely from their past, the fit suffers a tiny bit, but I think those errors are in the inspection area. There is likely a gauge they use to say "it'll do" and they move it on. NO ONE but us are even going to notice these issues. For 200k dam if they wont be straight if I bought one. A dealer would hate me when I got done with the purchase.

1. The paint better be absolutely flawless; not ONE scratch or swirl on it (This is almost impossible for them to achieve. The cars do not have enough time at AM to be really paint corrected. There will be buffer trails, pigtails from the orbital wet sander etc....this is absolutely true of any high end manufacturer) Then the dealer prep and washes will input the free DISO option. Dealer Installed Swirl Option. No dealer typically will spend 2-3k to have the paint refined perfectly. (that is if the marks even come out). But again for even a 50k car new, I want the paint to be perfect. Hell its new, so the paint should be also. There is no excuse for this IMO. Its not used, so nothing can be said. Again, this is virtually impossible though. There is NOT one dealer detail shop that IMHO could ever achieve this level of service. They just dont have the experience not tools.

2. Panel Gaps ---- I would measure each and every one to make sure they all line up appropriately. I would not allow a door to stick out further on a corner or on the bottom. The hood better line up for all panels.

3. Glass better be perfect with no acid rain etchings

These are the typical issues I see on most new high end vehicles. They only ones that escape most of the above are ones delivered to the customer immediately upon arrival. Or, they sit in the showroom. IF they are on the lot, then they will have cosmetic issues. A professional Paint Corrector (trained detailer) can mitigate most of these issues but at a 2-4k cost. So most people should prepare if they even care. Most dont, and most would never even notice these issues. So therefore dealers dont spend more money out of thier profit unless its needed.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
33, well for another day then 34. I dislike the new vantage. Mazda Miata front and boring rear with tiny exhausts. I also don’t like that it has a turbo engine at all and sounds close to every amg out there now. I’ll be sticking with my tunes 14 v8v with super sport exhaust. I do like the looks of the new vanquish though, at least the front but the back is still blah to me.

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-07-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:49 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I have noticed on a few DB11's that the panels don't line up perfectly either. The HOODs are the largest issues. Since they are clamshell design they need to line up all around the headlights, the front bumper, the door frame, and the lower side quarters. Thats alot of lining up.

I noticed the hood flares out near the side quarters and due to that they stick out 1/8-1/4 in which makes that corner stick out from the flushness of the door panel. Also near the front bumper on the sides.

What I am noticing is some errors in large number manufacturing. Since AM had started to increase volume hugely from their past, the fit suffers a tiny bit, but I think those errors are in the inspection area. There is likely a gauge they use to say "it'll do" and they move it on. NO ONE but us are even going to notice these issues. For 200k dam if they wont be straight if I bought one. A dealer would hate me when I got done with the purchase.

1. The paint better be absolutely flawless; not ONE scratch or swirl on it (This is almost impossible for them to achieve. The cars do not have enough time at AM to be really paint corrected. There will be buffer trails, pigtails from the orbital wet sander etc....this is absolutely true of any high end manufacturer) Then the dealer prep and washes will input the free DISO option. Dealer Installed Swirl Option. No dealer typically will spend 2-3k to have the paint refined perfectly. (that is if the marks even come out). But again for even a 50k car new, I want the paint to be perfect. Hell its new, so the paint should be also. There is no excuse for this IMO. Its not used, so nothing can be said. Again, this is virtually impossible though. There is NOT one dealer detail shop that IMHO could ever achieve this level of service. They just dont have the experience not tools.

2. Panel Gaps ---- I would measure each and every one to make sure they all line up appropriately. I would not allow a door to stick out further on a corner or on the bottom. The hood better line up for all panels.

3. Glass better be perfect with no acid rain etchings

These are the typical issues I see on most new high end vehicles. They only ones that escape most of the above are ones delivered to the customer immediately upon arrival. Or, they sit in the showroom. IF they are on the lot, then they will have cosmetic issues. A professional Paint Corrector (trained detailer) can mitigate most of these issues but at a 2-4k cost. So most people should prepare if they even care. Most dont, and most would never even notice these issues. So therefore dealers dont spend more money out of thier profit unless its needed.
My Vantage GTS was delivered directly to me and it had plenty of issues: wings badge on the trunk not lined up, trunk hatch not aligned evenly, leather imperfections, paint, mechanical problems, etc. I doubt anyone really inspects the car before leaving the factory. This was very disappointing for my dream hand made car which I waited until the last year of production to work out any kinks. I guess that’s the British way

Old 11-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Rohnin: I had a 2015 GT (Andy Palmer era) - tons of issues in the two years I owned it - about $20K of warranty work vs. the previous 8 years of having two' Ford era' Vantages with hardly any issues. It would have been interesting to see the evolution under a different leadership. That said, the fit and finish on my 2015 V12S is pretty good with zero issues so far. The GT and GTS were somewhat price leaders - maybe the inspection was not as good. Also I went to look at the Aston clothing line (I used to like to buy Aston shirts, hats, etc), but the latest offering looks like cheap crap. Not sure what's happening there.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:27 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rohnin

My Vantage GTS was delivered directly to me and it had plenty of issues: wings badge on the trunk not lined up, trunk hatch not aligned evenly, leather imperfections, paint, mechanical problems, etc. I doubt anyone really inspects the car before leaving the factory. This was very disappointing for my dream hand made car which I waited until the last year of production to work out any kinks. I guess that’s the British way

I understand completely. I never noticed any issues with the Vanquish's. Never saw a paint blemish. Now I only get, LOL, black or dark grey cars from the dealer to paint correct. Just so happens that way. So any blemish is easily seen typically. I found a small blemish on the hood of a DB11 today. Dime size and 95% of the people would never notice it. But was a clear coat blemish blob that likely could have just been block sanded and looked fine, but I dont get paid for that.

"That'll do" is somewhat the British way. But wish these high-end manufacturer would not brag about the intense inspections they do, some even say any worker can pull a car out of line at any time if they find a blemish or flaw. .........Then the car is delivered, dealer initial inspection and prep is where they can find blemishes and complain and Aston will pay to have them fixed, but the yahoos typically in the back dont know to look for them, dont care as much, or dont have the training to even evaluate it. Glue seams showing, clear coat pushed back on rocker panels, polish from AM factory polishing really stuck in creases that are almost impossible to get out.

A dealer point of view in only 5% of people will even complain. Most say "wow" its so shiny and new. Then they never wash them, so they dont see the flaws.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
My 2010 has deep sanding scratches in aluminum in the top of the hatch just off the ducktail, and a thumbprint in the base coat on the top of the passenger front wing. The hatch is slightly out of alignment that my mechanic pointed out, but the panel alignment on my car I would call very good. It's stalled 4 times since the new engine so while it's FAR better it is not cured.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
I purchased my new 2014 V8V from the Washington, DC area Aston dealer. It is Volcano red with Obsidian interior.
The paint, panel fit and interior quality are as perfect as I have ever seen on an automobile.
Perhaps I simply got lucky.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
some even say any worker can pull a car out of line at any time if they find a blemish or flaw
This is any automotive plant today, even the ones building your $15,000 Ford Fiesta. They don't physically lift it off the line (that would actually be a really big deal), but they do push it off into a quarantine area after a certain breakpoint in the line to get repaired. The operator flags his supervisor, supervisor reviews and tags, and life moves on. If it's something that can be done after the car is finished (like a paint blemish), they'll assemble the whole car and then drive it into the rework area.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
I have been a Porsche club member since 1978 and have owned a number of Porsche's over the years, as I am not known for keeping my cars for very long. Among those have been twelve 911's. Obviously, I have loved these cars. About three years ago, I was perusing a local import dealer's website and came across my 2007 Tungsten Silver Vantage. The photos alone nearly sold the car as I couldn't get over the beauty of the car.

The next morning, I drove my 2007 Porsche 997 to look at and drive the car. I drove the Vantage home about two hours later. Three years for me is a long time to keep a car but I feel my Vantage is the best car I have ever owned. I love the exterior and interior design, the fact that it has a manual transmission, and the glorious sound of that engine when 4,000 RPM arrives. In my eyes, it is a classic design that will age well. Plus, it is has been extremely reliable. I do my own work on my cars and the only thing I have had to do, besides normal maintenance, is to replace the thermostat.

As for the new Vantage, it is way out of my price range (there are some benefits to the Vantage's depreciation) so I will not be buying one even if I liked it. I have only seen photos so far but am not impressed. My particular beef is the nose, as it does not have an Aston Martin "look".

I am 72 and am pretty sure, if I were in my forties (I vaguely remember those years!), I would still prefer my car to the new one.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:09 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Obviously, I like the look of the new Vantage, or I would not have bought it.

Overall my 2015 Vantage was a good car. I did have some issues, but not any big ones (stalling in reverse, Moisture in a tail light, standard Vantage stuff) the biggest things for me, were that the electronics in the car are antiquated, the old Volvo stuff was at least 10 years old with nary an update. I hated the Bluetooth, little to no noise canceling, and static to the point that If I was on a call in the car everyone was asking me to repeat and saying that I should roll the window up. In the end, I just unpaired the phone and would put it on speaker, that worked better. The other issue is that it did not look like a new car. Yes it's a beautiful design, and in 2006 it was drop dead gorgeous, but in 2018 / 2019 it was looking very dated.

The new Vantage is a big departure from the old car. It looks modern, all the electronics inside work. and best of all, I still get all the benefits of the Handmade Aston Martin brand, but a greatly updated and with a very usable interior. In every area, change is always disruptive and forces people to take a fresh look at something, not everyone likes change. I have to admit that I'm a "New" addict. I'm always an early adopter for technology and new designs. I'm in my early 50s and like the new Vantage and DB11.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage