Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage

Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
None of what you mentioned matters to me. I don't call people when I'm driving, I don't use Nav. I listen to either Sirius or music on my UBS stick. That's the problem with the new Vantage, it doesn't look as good as the 1st gen to many people, and the areas which are 'improved' are not those that are important to many. You can say what you want, but polarizing is not good for a small company trying to increase production. I suspect that Vantage/DB11 is nowhere near the production levels of the previous gen. If they don't sell at greater levels than the previous gen, I would call them failed.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:52 AM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
I'm 42 and the new Vantage is a missed opportunity for me. Loved my 2014 Vantage S, but after deciding to make a change I went with a new 911 GTS rather than the new Vantage.

Like several others have said, the new DBS superleggera design is leaps and bounds ahead of the Vantage. I know Aston was intent on not having all the models look the same a la DB9, Vantage, Vanquish, so its unlikely they will redesign the new Vantage to look like the DBS. Hopefully the do rethink the proportions in front and out back. With a manual transmission option and a good redesign front and rear, I'd come back to the brand in a couple years. But i'm not holding my breath on that one.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:07 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I’ve already test driven the new Vantage and have been offered a 24h test drive but I’m not wasting my time. I don’t want to be seen in that ugly car. I’ll keep my custom 2016 GTS forever

(Now if they offered me a 24h test drive of the DBS that’s a different story)

Old 11-08-2018, 02:19 PM
ntlr will become famous soon enoughntlr will become famous soon enough
35, I'm okay with the new Vantage. I probably wouldn't buy one (as have a DBS coming in soon), but can appreciate that it is different from the previous Vantage and I actually look at them as discrete, individual cars. I still think the old Vantage is such a hoot and a gorgeous car, but you can't deny how fun and sharp the new one is to drive.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about

Old 11-11-2018, 10:30 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ntlr
I still think the old Vantage is such a hoot and a gorgeous car, but you can't deny how fun and sharp the new one is to drive.
This statement: +1000.

I was recently invited to track the new vantage. Wow. It's handling is so balanced and yes, sharp! The car rotates so easily through corners with a quick flick on the steering wheel. Matt Becker did an absolutely amazing job. Now, I am keen to add one to the collection.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Parvenu is on a distinguished road
I'm in my 70's. Up to a few days ago I hated every photo or video I'd seen of the new Vantage, and believed they had killed an absolutely gorgeous, elegant and timeless design. Last week I brought my Vantage in for service to the Aston dealer in Palm Beach, and while there a new Vantage rolled in...silver with black top and wheels, and all glass including the windshield totally blacked out (my car's tint is the legal limit, but this was way beyond that). Anyway, while the car was absolutely stunning it nevertheless confirmed my prior belief. Was it as gorgeous, elegant and timeless as mine...no way, but it did blow away the new McLarens sitting nearby. My main concern is that despite the obvious improvements in power and handling, it's too much of a departure from what has always been immediately recognizable through the years and various models as Aston specific design details. Maybe it's an age thing, older geezers like me appreciate tradition and elegance (as well as manual trannys!) while younger dudes not so much. By the way, the sound of the new Vantage was very disappointing, at least compared to my Quicksilver exhaust. I reckon I'll keep mine for a few more years.

Last edited by Parvenu; 11-11-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Parvenu
By the way, the sound of the new Vantage was very disappointing, at least compared to my Quicksilver exhaust. I reckon I'll keep mine for a few more years.
The sound of the Mercedes engine is the least appealing V8 sound to me. Two friends have Biturbo V8; one in an AMG-S car the other in a Renntech tuned car. Both are just deep bass and nothing else. I saw the AMG-GT drive around the F1 track in Montreal all by itself. Sounded totally lame to the Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup cars. Aston at least was able to bridge the gap some to adapt the sound, but could've done more. Personally, I would've preferred Aston going with a Toyota or Ford built engine... Imagine the Vantage with the V8 from the GT350!!!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 AM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The sound of the Mercedes engine is the least appealing V8 sound to me. Two friends have Biturbo V8; one in an AMG-S car the other in a Renntech tuned car. Both are just deep bass and nothing else. I saw the AMG-GT drive around the F1 track in Montreal all by itself. Sounded totally lame to the Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup cars. Aston at least was able to bridge the gap some to adapt the sound, but could've done more. Personally, I would've preferred Aston going with a Toyota or Ford built engine... Imagine the Vantage with the V8 from the GT350!!!
+1, its totally a subjective thing, but I've never liked the AMG exhaust note, and the new Vantage has it.... slightly disguised, but not enough for my liking.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
In looking at the new Vantage one might be excused into believing that Aston Martin has lost its design mojo.
However in July 2018 (I believe) they came out with the V600, a limited production Vantage version that Aston has become famous for. This car, dubbed the V600, has a V12 naturally aspirated engine producing 600 BHP.

The design is, IMHO, a natural continuation of the classic Aston front end, as found currently on the new DB11.
The following pictures of the current 2018 Vantage and the V600 shows that some designers at Aston Martin still has the skill to design a terrific car. Unfortunately management ignored this and produces the current monstrosity.

For those who have convinced themselves that they love the new front end design of the new Vantage, can you honestly say that it looks better than the V600?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
For those who have bought the new Vantage and love the car I apologize if I was a little too harsh.
Aston has made the new car better mechanically, I just believe that Aston Martin could have done so much better designing the front end. (smile)

Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by embdenb
For those who have bought the new Vantage and love the car I apologize if I was a little too harsh.
Aston has made the new car better mechanically, I just believe that Aston Martin could have done so much better designing the front end. (smile)
I wonder how far out the slats are as an option?

Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
or be more to form and use the supercharged V8 from Jaguar

Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by sonies
or be more to form and use the supercharged V8 from Jaguar
Well, Jaguar is moving to a BMW built V8 :-(

Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Daarthvader is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a huge fan of the looks but being an AMG owner aswell the new bi turbo v8 are verrrrrry mod Friendly and these will make a lot of power.

But I ll never sell my db9 for the newer one...... V12 ftw!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage