6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/425860-sorta-poll-your-age-do-you-like-dislike-new-vantage.html)

Prefurbia 11-01-2018 08:53 AM

Sorta poll: by your age do you like or dislike the new Vantage

I'm curious. It seems very young people I talk to like the new Vantage, not so much with older people. I'll start the poll:

I'm 66 years old - absolutely do NOT like the direction Aston Martin is going with the new Vantage. Keeping my V12S, unless the next generation (after this one) goes back to the traditional 'gentleman's sports car elegance'.

Zettinger 11-01-2018 09:16 AM

Does 6speed not have a poll option?

I'm 40 years old - Absolutely dislike the new gen cars, including db11. The Merc tech (with even lower output than Mercedes) dilutes the brand, design is missing the fisker touch (in case of the Vantage rather the Fisker WONDER).
The previous cars stunned everyone with first sight, the new gen forces everyone to say: maybe better in person. I'll keep my Vantage and as I call the most beautiful car ever build.

sonies 11-01-2018 10:05 AM

I like the new Vantage. I know I'm one of the few here LOL. I think the DB11 while a big car, is very good looking and beautiful. If you like elegance well good news you can buy a cheaper used aston. Not sure why so many here feel the need to hate on the new ones, they are pretty kick ass cars and will get better with more revisions like they always do. Yes times are changing, cars are getting bigger and faster with more electronic doodads, not a huge deal really to me

handyman2009 11-01-2018 10:39 AM

Since 2005 I wanted to buy an Aston Martin Vantage and I was able to afford one in 2015. I am 54 yrs old and I find the new Vantage a little too boy toy for me and don't consider it true Aston Martin anymore (Engine, trans, interior...) and if I wanted to buy an AMG I would just go to Mercedes dealership.

MRCW 11-01-2018 10:40 AM

It seems to be a challenge to get machine guns under the hood but the grill is large enough for tomahawk missiles...

mid 50's here... like the 2009 version I have now but 10 years from now will likely shop for a nice used version of the new body style

Gene G 11-01-2018 10:54 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...7531d79a1.jpeg
I’m 70 and don’t like the new Vantage. I do like the new DB11 enough that I bought one. I think that the past generation of the Vantage is one of the best looking cars of all time. I will be keeping my 08 Vantage until I’m too old to drive.

lilseevs 11-01-2018 10:57 AM

I'm 27, I think the new vantage is much needed for the AM market, but I dislike the car in general

I love that its an AMG sourced engine, it will open up the aftermarket availability. I dislike how the performance especially for a redesign after a decade- still falls short of it's competitors. Why get the new vantage if you're a prospective new to the brand buyer, when your competitors are putting out faster cars? The interior lacks that Aston oomph in my opinion. I always describe Astons to people who ask why i chose the car - it's too sporty to be considered a a luxury car, it's too luxurious to be considered a sportscar. The new Vantage is clearly defined as a sportscar

I love the rear end design, very aggressive and modern. I absolutely dislike the front end - I see the Vulcan influence but it looks like both ends were designed by different designers. This is not going to be a timeless & iconic car like the current outgoing Vantage is going to be - I think AM truly missed a great opportunity with it

It is going to open up the demographic to new customers and broaden Aston's market appeal, right now Aston's only appealed to a certain subset of the exotic demographic- for the bottom line this is great. For brand dilution, not so much. We will deifnitely see a lot more women driving the cars as well, which I think overall is great. Right now, my Aston gets mistaken more often than not as a Maserati (what a shame, but shows how poorly Aston has been with modern marketing in the past decade)

I think Aston is going to realize they missed the mark on this new redesign and we will see a drastic front-end overhaul in the next 2 years. The DBS Superleggera on the other hand, I believe they executed properly 100%

bolteon 11-01-2018 12:09 PM

33 and much prefer my Centenary 23 Vantage S to the New Vantage.

I agree that AM needs new blood but it needs to start with where the DBS SL is, not where the Vantage went. The cars in general have gotten much larger than the older ones, and while that is also needed- my conclusion that focus at AM is not only on building the best product possible.

sonies 11-01-2018 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4747838)
I'm curious. It seems very young people I talk to like the new Vantage, not so much with older people. I'll start the poll:

I'm 66 years old - absolutely do NOT like the direction Aston Martin is going with the new Vantage. Keeping my V12S, unless the next generation (after this one) goes back to the traditional 'gentleman's sports car elegance'.

hey man if you want every iteration of the car to look the same just buy Porsches hilarious

MRCW 11-01-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sonies (Post 4747874)
hey man if you want every iteration of the car to look the same just buy Porsches hilarious

as a former and still Porsche guy... they all look alike...👍👎

Graze 11-01-2018 01:49 PM

61 and its not for me, although there is a lot of it I like

happy to wait till the right V12 comes along then following that I think a Vanquish might do nicely

Graze

Viper98912 11-01-2018 03:27 PM

I'll say that I'm probably on the younger side...

While the performance upgrades are a well needed improvement to compete in the market, I hate everything about the design, including front, rear, side profile, and 50/50 on the interior.

era2076 11-01-2018 03:58 PM

61 - puke..

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...8641bdb2d5.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...a1b7aed75e.jpg

MRCW 11-01-2018 04:19 PM

i never understood why "ASTON MARTIN" had to be tacked on to the back...

I debadge all my cars...just have the wings... that would be take first thing to go...

Vantagelvr 11-01-2018 04:47 PM

Guess they want to make sure those who have no idea what car it is can read it in big block letters , Instead of mistaking the car for Austin Healey , Austin Marten , Aston Healey etc etc etc .
Mid fifties here , new Vantage is just ugly , way to exotic looking the front and rear views are just awful .
They have completely lost the classic Aston grill shape and now have a puking whale shark look to the front end .

HabitualOffender 11-01-2018 07:01 PM

I just inspected the 3 sitting at FCKAM after the thread talking about the huge panel gaps, which aren't. The clamshell gaps on all 3 were consistent except the china gray had 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. What I did find was panel fitment issues, like doors out of line. Flush at the top but proud at the bottom pooched out from the rear quarter, and this - this isn't going to fly on $184,000 cars except with a great salesman and the "they're handmade" line.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/va...029_135948.jpg

But to the point of the thread, the more I looked at the 3 cars the more I started to dislike them again. I didn't like the pictures, the first personal look it grew on me a little, the second was the test drive and I did that comparison photo shoot against mine, and I still thought it was OK, absolutely LOVED the drive, but we're talking strictly about aesthetics here, and the more I looked at the 3 of them the more I started reverting back to, bleh. Especially with the Vanquish sitting 3 spots away.

Jagman70 11-01-2018 08:40 PM

I'm with Gene G. I have driven the DB11 and think it retains the historic lines of the classic Aston brand. However, the looks of the new Vantage are sadly a disappointment when compared to my 09 Vantage. Perhaps it's because I am an old school 75 year old. However, I believe classic beauty in automotive design is appreciated by all ages. The new Vantage does not seem to have captured that.

astonChap 11-01-2018 09:29 PM

44. AM fan since seeing a new Virage being delivered in 1996. The DB9 was a “one day” dream for many years.

I like the new models. The Vantage the least, the DBS the most. Us lucky few that own our older, naturally aspirated machines can enjoy ours for many years to come, the new models will only add value to the brand.

For me, of the more recent AMs, it doesn’t get much better than a 2012+ Vanquish Coupe. I adore (maybe a little too much, and obsess on the details a little too much maybe, perhaps) my 2010 hardly any tech DB9 Volante.

If I had to choose another, it would be a 2014 ish Vanquish, with the dark blue paint and dark tan interior, with a plate “HP SAUCE” - because, why not.

One day :)

mjanis 11-01-2018 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by sonies (Post 4747874)

The thing is I was a Porsche guy too and every iteration of Porsche has had its detractors. 356 to 912 or 911. 914 to 924. SWB 911 to LWB. 964 to 993. 993 air cooled to 997 water cooled. Etc, etc, etc.

so the brand is evolving much like a Porsche has. Not everyone is going to like it and that is ok. But much like Porsche where everyone hated the Boxster headlights in the 997, Hopefully the AML factory will hear the comments and adjust.

But I digress.

To answer the question set forth, I am 64 years old and own my first Aston a 2007 DB9 Volante. I love the car with all its quirks. For me, the new Vantage is not a car I would want to own. It is too radical departure from the previous. It appeals to a different market than me. Maybe in a few years, after depreciation takes its toll, I would buy a DB11 V12 or a superleggera. That’s more my style.

I think the Front View is bad. The Headlights are too small and the grill opening is too big. It looks like a lamprey or a sucker fish to me. Headlights look too much like the new Miata.

I do like the rear end view and I like the big fender flairs. I am not a fan of putting the AMG engine in the car. I like the styling of the AMG GTS much better.

I do do not like the Block letters on the tail. Just put a badge there. If you want to spell it out, buy a license plate frame. BTW I also hate the way Porsche spells it all out on their new model 911s too.

Aston502 11-02-2018 07:25 AM

New Vantage

Originally Posted by mjanis (Post 4747947)

The thing is I was a Porsche guy too and every iteration of Porsche has had its detractors. 356 to 912 or 911. 914 to 924. SWB 911 to LWB. 964 to 993. 993 air cooled to 997 water cooled. Etc, etc, etc.

so the brand is evolving much like a Porsche has. Not everyone is going to like it and that is ok. But much like Porsche where everyone hated the Boxster headlights in the 997, Hopefully the AML factory will hear the comments and adjust.

But I digress.

To answer the question set forth, I am 64 years old and own my first Aston a 2007 DB9 Volante. I love the car with all its quirks. For me, the new Vantage is not a car I would want to own. It is too radical departure from the previous. It appeals to a different market than me. Maybe in a few years, after depreciation takes its toll, I would buy a DB11 V12 or a superleggera. That’s more my style.

I think the Front View is bad. The Headlights are too small and the grill opening is too big. It looks like a lamprey or a sucker fish to me. Headlights look too much like the new Miata.

I do like the rear end view and I like the big fender flairs. I am not a fan of putting the AMG engine in the car. I like the styling of the AMG GTS much better.

I do do not like the Block letters on the tail. Just put a badge there. If you want to spell it out, buy a license plate frame. BTW I also hate the way Porsche spells it all out on their new model 911s too.

I agree, it looks like an algae eater with Miata headlights. I am 62 and most modern car design seems to lend itself to the "transformer generation" with louvers, slots and wings. Even the new 911s are going here. Not for me.

brightoncorgi 11-02-2018 10:37 AM

The new Vantage is the least attractive of AM's offers in the last few years, but it's still pretty cool to me. There looks to be a lot room to evolve the new design and my hunch is that effort is underway or has already been done.

QuantumV8 11-03-2018 03:21 AM

34, drive a 2010 V8. I prefer the elegance over the race inspiration, which has been creeping in since the lipstick and the stripes.
I think the DB11 retains the elegance and has almost the best-designed Aston wheels of the last decade. But its lacking the manual transmission.
I haven't driven the new Vantage yet. Its performance may well be next-gen, but thats not in my top 5 reasons for wanting to drive an Aston.
Look, sound, feel, manual, marque (then probably performance)

larryg 11-03-2018 06:11 AM

As a healthy (and lucky) 70 year old I have had the privilege of owning some of the most beautiful cars; E-Types, Z8, 330 GTC, Dino 246, R8 and of course my 2014 V8V.
In my opinion performance without beauty/elegance has little appeal.
The new Vantage is an ugly vehicle and will never find space in my garage.

Logannz 11-03-2018 08:53 AM

I'm 47 and I'm genuinely struggling, I have to admit some of the pictures, colours and angles look good though. the new DBS however is simply stunning especially in person, so I definite have hope for the brand for guys like me yet.

It's worth adding, I travel to China regularly, the Boss's all LOVE the new Vantage.. and I mean really really love it. These are factory owners who pay for cars with suitcases, like we pay for dinners. Not one of then could drive a manual for sh*t either..

Argus 11-04-2018 04:11 PM

I am 62. What I don't about the new Vantage or actually hate is the new front grille. If the car had the same grille as the DB 10 it would be a great looking car. Having said that I still like the look of the old Vantage and DB9 better. A friend of mine has a current Vantage and a new one on order so I will see them side by side and will have a better perspective.

rohnin 11-04-2018 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Logannz (Post 4748143)
It's worth adding, I travel to China regularly, the Boss's all LOVE the new Vantage.. and I mean really really love it. These are factory owners who pay for cars with suitcases, like we pay for dinners. Not one of then could drive a manual for sh*t either..

I don’t know if suitcases full of money can buy good taste...

embdenb 11-05-2018 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rohnin (Post 4748357)

I don’t know if suitcases full of money can buy good taste...

I am 73 years old but I know good design when I see it, and the new Vantage’s design is a hot mess.The review’s high rear lights are actually not horrible; however the confluence of bits around the exhaust pipes and the confusing rear diffuser attachment leaves me depressed.The side view is at least pretty good and is the best part of the car.Any design credentials left by Aston was thrown out the window when they designed the front of the car. My guess is that they were so infatuated by the Vulcan that they literally lost their minds.They forgot one of the tenants of design, that is, scale and proportions.To illustrate, I have again attached two photographs of the Vantage and the Ford GT.The Ford Gt is arguably the best looking car in the world. Look closely, the Vantage’s grill and lights look somewhat like the Ford’s, except for the proportions.Where the Ford’s front end, lights and grill are perfectly proportioned, the Vantages’ grill is vastly out of proportion with its lights and the overall size of the front end.Someone mentioned that China loves this car.That about says it all. https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...652d9183f6.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...807b59e657.jpg

Hedged 11-05-2018 09:24 AM

There is definitely something about the proportions of that aggressive front design. Just hold your finger across your field of view. Take off the bottom half of the grill and the headlights look OK, but if you block the top half it just accentuates the relative scale of the grill in the overall design. Contemporary no doubt, and somewhat dates the outgoing Vantage, but time will tell if the new design wears as well as the undeniable classic lines of its predecessor. (61 bought mine new at 57)

007JB 11-05-2018 12:37 PM

I'm 48, NOT a fan at all. the only part that I like is the rear end, the rest of the car is fugly, totally out of proportions & interior is so busy, that make me dizzy when I look for more than 10 seconds. I can stare at my Vantage for hours....

bunob 11-05-2018 12:54 PM

I'm 47 years old - Dislike the new gen cars, including db11.
My "old" Vantage is the most beautiful car ever build.
Except the Vanquish ;-) !

captain Greg 11-05-2018 01:34 PM

I'm mid to late 50.... I'm going to have to do another two tours and earn the Benjamin franklins in the East, I am on the fence with this car, my Vantage is like new never been in the rain ever and never seen a dirt road. That said it's almost 6 years old now and while it's still a stunning car it lacks the new feel, it still a head turner ( not the reason I own it) but with the new body now out the older model will soon age fast, being the label slut that I am I will most likly get this car, I can't see myself going German or Italian, Italian cars scream look at me I have a small penis, the Germans stuff says hey look I got a middle manager job....or I'm a sales person.
aston is a brand amongst brands and it's will always be exclusive, and will always be the one that simply just stands out.
yes it has German DNA now this means we can drive it ....Hard! Something the current Aston owners cannot do, sorry guys don't get sweaty on that comment my definition of hard is not a spirited Sunday drive on the coast road like that video that was posted.
astons when driven hard need work, and with the AMG tried and tested history of reliability it brings a certain amount of we can rivit the darn thing.

just like we had to get over Roger Moore as James Bond we did eventually embrace the new blond bond so if god spares me to bang afew more broads and earn some more US I will be adding this to my toy box

embdenb 11-05-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 4748444)

just like we had to get over Roger Moore as James Bond we did eventually embrace the new blond bond so if god spares me to bang a few more broads and earn some more US I will be adding this to my toy box

Hopefully your wife is not reading this thread (smile)

Ron Avery 11-06-2018 09:12 AM

Ok, I will chime in. I am 61, And have owned a 2007 Vantage and now a 2016 Vantage GT. The Vantage that i currently own is a classic work of art in my opinion.I think the new line of Aston's was a necessary evil in todays market. I was invited to and Aston martin focus group in 2014.
Most of the owners where complaining about the center stack. lack of model identity, better Auto trans, ECT. So think Aston Martin, did was they thought the customer base was asking for. Pus bringing in younger buyers.
The new Vantage is growing on me, after looking at a few at the dealer. I will still hang onto my 2016. For one, 0-60 and 0-100 are nice talking points, But in the real world, it is not worth the higher price of the new cf the Vantage for me. And I like to row mine owner gears.
I don't care that the Auto trans is quicker. For me it is about a normal aspirated motor and a stick shift.
Ron
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...404e87a15f.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...7ef2d8e373.jpg

AXARUNNER 11-06-2018 10:15 AM

I'm 63 and like Ron, I'm on my second Vantage. I like (not love) the evolution of the new car but I simply do not like the front end of it. I also do not like the sound of the AMG V8 turbo engine. I too am a manual transmission guy and I will probably replace my 2013 Vantage S with the new Vantage S manual if that ever arrives (this assumes that AM evolve the front end to something similar to the new DBS). One thing that I noticed whilst driving the new Vantage is that it handles so much better than the old one... but hopping back into my normally aspirated Vantage S I felt the driving experience (sound and manual shifting) to be so pure. For now, I'll be keeping an eye out for updates and will look to make a change when the 2020 model comes out.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...a481c4dee3.png

deckman 11-06-2018 11:12 AM

Since we are doing ages here I'm 58. First Vantage for me former Porsche guy. My last 911 Turbo was fast as all get out and brutally modified with bigger turbos, semi race suspension, howling exhaust and tuned. It was putting down about 520hp to the wheels. But beside nobody wanting to get into the car with me (no fun as a passenger in that car), it left me wanting. I don't street race, I just like windy roads. I could never use that Porsche even close to its limits and if I tried I probably would have killed myself.

Enter the *slow* Vantage. After the 911TT I wasn't looking for 0-60 record setting, but It is still plenty fast enough that I don't hardly ever get it to its limits and it's way more fun to drive than my Porsche's were. I only bring these things up because I think THE major complaint against our car is it's power. Unless you track it regularly that doesn't matter. I doubt any of us take race bait from the kids out there. I bought this car because it's mostly analogue and it's beauty, it's specialness. IMHO the it was until last year the most beautiful car being built today. And it's a blast.

On to the new Vantage, it answers the upgraded power issue, but so what. It still can't be used at it's extremes. The power is mostly for spec sheet junkies and keeping owners feelings from being bruised compared to other cars. All the reviews from the experts are from a track POV. So effing what? Please raise your hand if you are a track junkie? If so, you've probably thought of getting a different platform than any Aston. I think the new Vantage is a major step backward from an aesthetic design standpoint. Fisker did a wonderful job on the previous version especially the original styling. The new Vantage needs a major facelift and even then I don't know if it's salvageable. I like the looks of the DB11 much more and I don't much care for that car. I'm pretty sure my current Vantage will be my last Aston. I'll be retiring soon and will just hang onto it and give to one of my kids someday. It won't hold its value but It will always hold it's beauty. No regrets.

SheriffDep 11-07-2018 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4747927)

I just inspected the 3 sitting at FCKAM after the thread talking about the huge panel gaps, which aren't. The clamshell gaps on all 3 were consistent except the china gray had 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. What I did find was panel fitment issues, like doors out of line. Flush at the top but proud at the bottom pooched out from the rear quarter, and this - this isn't going to fly on $184,000 cars except with a great salesman and the "they're handmade" line.

But to the point of the thread, the more I looked at the 3 cars the more I started to dislike them again. I didn't like the pictures, the first personal look it grew on me a little, the second was the test drive and I did that comparison photo shoot against mine, and I still thought it was OK, absolutely LOVED the drive, but we're talking strictly about aesthetics here, and the more I looked at the 3 of them the more I started reverting back to, bleh. Especially with the Vanquish sitting 3 spots away.

I have noticed on a few DB11's that the panels don't line up perfectly either. The HOODs are the largest issues. Since they are clamshell design they need to line up all around the headlights, the front bumper, the door frame, and the lower side quarters. Thats alot of lining up.

I noticed the hood flares out near the side quarters and due to that they stick out 1/8-1/4 in which makes that corner stick out from the flushness of the door panel. Also near the front bumper on the sides.

What I am noticing is some errors in large number manufacturing. Since AM had started to increase volume hugely from their past, the fit suffers a tiny bit, but I think those errors are in the inspection area. There is likely a gauge they use to say "it'll do" and they move it on. NO ONE but us are even going to notice these issues. For 200k dam if they wont be straight if I bought one. A dealer would hate me when I got done with the purchase.

1. The paint better be absolutely flawless; not ONE scratch or swirl on it (This is almost impossible for them to achieve. The cars do not have enough time at AM to be really paint corrected. There will be buffer trails, pigtails from the orbital wet sander etc....this is absolutely true of any high end manufacturer) Then the dealer prep and washes will input the free DISO option. Dealer Installed Swirl Option. No dealer typically will spend 2-3k to have the paint refined perfectly. (that is if the marks even come out). But again for even a 50k car new, I want the paint to be perfect. Hell its new, so the paint should be also. There is no excuse for this IMO. Its not used, so nothing can be said. Again, this is virtually impossible though. There is NOT one dealer detail shop that IMHO could ever achieve this level of service. They just dont have the experience not tools.

2. Panel Gaps ---- I would measure each and every one to make sure they all line up appropriately. I would not allow a door to stick out further on a corner or on the bottom. The hood better line up for all panels.

3. Glass better be perfect with no acid rain etchings

These are the typical issues I see on most new high end vehicles. They only ones that escape most of the above are ones delivered to the customer immediately upon arrival. Or, they sit in the showroom. IF they are on the lot, then they will have cosmetic issues. A professional Paint Corrector (trained detailer) can mitigate most of these issues but at a 2-4k cost. So most people should prepare if they even care. Most dont, and most would never even notice these issues. So therefore dealers dont spend more money out of thier profit unless its needed.

MikeR397 11-07-2018 02:10 PM

33, well for another day then 34. I dislike the new vantage. Mazda Miata front and boring rear with tiny exhausts. I also don’t like that it has a turbo engine at all and sounds close to every amg out there now. I’ll be sticking with my tunes 14 v8v with super sport exhaust. I do like the looks of the new vanquish though, at least the front but the back is still blah to me.

rohnin 11-07-2018 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by SheriffDep (Post 4748728)
I have noticed on a few DB11's that the panels don't line up perfectly either. The HOODs are the largest issues. Since they are clamshell design they need to line up all around the headlights, the front bumper, the door frame, and the lower side quarters. Thats alot of lining up.

I noticed the hood flares out near the side quarters and due to that they stick out 1/8-1/4 in which makes that corner stick out from the flushness of the door panel. Also near the front bumper on the sides.

What I am noticing is some errors in large number manufacturing. Since AM had started to increase volume hugely from their past, the fit suffers a tiny bit, but I think those errors are in the inspection area. There is likely a gauge they use to say "it'll do" and they move it on. NO ONE but us are even going to notice these issues. For 200k dam if they wont be straight if I bought one. A dealer would hate me when I got done with the purchase.

1. The paint better be absolutely flawless; not ONE scratch or swirl on it (This is almost impossible for them to achieve. The cars do not have enough time at AM to be really paint corrected. There will be buffer trails, pigtails from the orbital wet sander etc....this is absolutely true of any high end manufacturer) Then the dealer prep and washes will input the free DISO option. Dealer Installed Swirl Option. No dealer typically will spend 2-3k to have the paint refined perfectly. (that is if the marks even come out). But again for even a 50k car new, I want the paint to be perfect. Hell its new, so the paint should be also. There is no excuse for this IMO. Its not used, so nothing can be said. Again, this is virtually impossible though. There is NOT one dealer detail shop that IMHO could ever achieve this level of service. They just dont have the experience not tools.

2. Panel Gaps ---- I would measure each and every one to make sure they all line up appropriately. I would not allow a door to stick out further on a corner or on the bottom. The hood better line up for all panels.

3. Glass better be perfect with no acid rain etchings

These are the typical issues I see on most new high end vehicles. They only ones that escape most of the above are ones delivered to the customer immediately upon arrival. Or, they sit in the showroom. IF they are on the lot, then they will have cosmetic issues. A professional Paint Corrector (trained detailer) can mitigate most of these issues but at a 2-4k cost. So most people should prepare if they even care. Most dont, and most would never even notice these issues. So therefore dealers dont spend more money out of thier profit unless its needed.

My Vantage GTS was delivered directly to me and it had plenty of issues: wings badge on the trunk not lined up, trunk hatch not aligned evenly, leather imperfections, paint, mechanical problems, etc. I doubt anyone really inspects the car before leaving the factory. This was very disappointing for my dream hand made car which I waited until the last year of production to work out any kinks. I guess that’s the British way

Prefurbia 11-07-2018 04:17 PM

Rohnin: I had a 2015 GT (Andy Palmer era) - tons of issues in the two years I owned it - about $20K of warranty work vs. the previous 8 years of having two' Ford era' Vantages with hardly any issues. It would have been interesting to see the evolution under a different leadership. That said, the fit and finish on my 2015 V12S is pretty good with zero issues so far. The GT and GTS were somewhat price leaders - maybe the inspection was not as good. Also I went to look at the Aston clothing line (I used to like to buy Aston shirts, hats, etc), but the latest offering looks like cheap crap. Not sure what's happening there.

SheriffDep 11-07-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by rohnin (Post 4748840)

My Vantage GTS was delivered directly to me and it had plenty of issues: wings badge on the trunk not lined up, trunk hatch not aligned evenly, leather imperfections, paint, mechanical problems, etc. I doubt anyone really inspects the car before leaving the factory. This was very disappointing for my dream hand made car which I waited until the last year of production to work out any kinks. I guess that’s the British way

I understand completely. I never noticed any issues with the Vanquish's. Never saw a paint blemish. Now I only get, LOL, black or dark grey cars from the dealer to paint correct. Just so happens that way. So any blemish is easily seen typically. I found a small blemish on the hood of a DB11 today. Dime size and 95% of the people would never notice it. But was a clear coat blemish blob that likely could have just been block sanded and looked fine, but I dont get paid for that.

"That'll do" is somewhat the British way. But wish these high-end manufacturer would not brag about the intense inspections they do, some even say any worker can pull a car out of line at any time if they find a blemish or flaw. .........Then the car is delivered, dealer initial inspection and prep is where they can find blemishes and complain and Aston will pay to have them fixed, but the yahoos typically in the back dont know to look for them, dont care as much, or dont have the training to even evaluate it. Glue seams showing, clear coat pushed back on rocker panels, polish from AM factory polishing really stuck in creases that are almost impossible to get out.

A dealer point of view in only 5% of people will even complain. Most say "wow" its so shiny and new. Then they never wash them, so they dont see the flaws.