6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Vantage Rear View Mirror Back up Camera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/425930-vantage-rear-view-mirror-back-up-camera.html)

MRCW 11-04-2018 02:25 PM

Vantage Rear View Mirror Back up Camera

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished my rear view mirror back up camera project. many Thanks to Rich @ redpants and James at Aston Installation (UK) for help and inspiration. Attached is a brief write up and parts list.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...c5ce0ebaf1.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...257699cbbf.jpg

embdenb 11-05-2018 05:34 AM

Terrific write up. This is certainly an option for those who don’t have the Nav system

Dalecannavan 11-05-2018 06:38 AM

As above. Well done.

blue2000s 11-05-2018 12:31 PM

In general, I don't think backup cameras are required. As long as my head turns, I can figure out how to back up. But the visibility out the back of this car is pretty bad. I could see behind me better in my convertible Boxster. So for the Vantage, this is a great improvement.

sonies 11-05-2018 01:46 PM

I think I'm going to have to do this, thank you very much for the detailed write up!

Jagman70 11-06-2018 07:57 AM

Great write up MRCW. Can anyone tell me how the map light cover is removed? Is there a screw under that black plastic piece between the map lights that holds it in place?

MRCW 11-06-2018 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jagman70 (Post 4748561)
Great write up MRCW. Can anyone tell me how the map light cover is removed? Is there a screw under that black plastic piece between the map lights that holds it in place?

yes, pop that black cover off ands there is a screw. There is a metal tab by windshields

Jagman70 11-06-2018 08:50 AM

MRCW, Thanks. I will give it a try.

TR-Spider 11-06-2018 11:32 AM

Great writeup, very useful, thanks a lot!

Thomas

Edit:made good use of the idle days and just installed mine! Really a usefull addition.
Thanks again for pointing it out...

Edit2:One thing I learned meanwhile:
one should best buy a camera which allows the adjustment of the distance lines (which are displayed in the view image) to the car's width .
Otherwise it may be that the Aston's width is not taken car of with a non-adjustable camera,
i.e. the lines appear too narrow and one can't use them properly for targeting a parking gap.
However, as the feature is included in the camera, it's not such a big thing to fix.

MRCW 03-11-2019 06:36 PM

As an update, just finished installing a front camera to keep from running into parking bumpers, curbs and stuff.
All built into the rear view mirror monitor... fully reversible, no holes drilled, and using a remote for switching. Hopefully will post some pictures and a brief write up.

while I have the nav system, I never use it and find the screen up to be a nuisance and ruins the lines of the interior...

the mirror monitor works great, brings the image closer to your eyes, screens is instantly on... no waiting for the screen to turn on and rotate.

DB9 05-23-2019 03:52 PM

Hi everyone. I considered doing this but have decided not to.
Just like the OP I purchased a used Vantage/DB9 mirror from overseas because I didn't want to modify my original mirror mount. I have the mirror + mount if anyone wants to purchase it. Please PM me.
Thanks

Vantage_007 05-24-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4748434)
In general, I don't think backup cameras are required. As long as my head turns, I can figure out how to back up. But the visibility out the back of this car is pretty bad. I could see behind me better in my convertible Boxster. So for the Vantage, this is a great improvement.

I agree with you that they're not required, and I've never actually owned a car with one. However, I reverse the car onto a four-post lift in my garage, and I need to get the rear end within 2" of the metal safety plates of the lift. I have a monitoring camera mounted on my garage wall, and typically when backing the Aston in, I whip out my phone and live-watch the camera to line the car up closely. Of course, a back-up camera would solve having to do this...

blue2000s 05-24-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vantage_007 (Post 4783881)
I agree with you that they're not required, and I've never actually owned a car with one. However, I reverse the car onto a four-post lift in my garage, and I need to get the rear end within 2" of the metal safety plates of the lift. I have a monitoring camera mounted on my garage wall, and typically when backing the Aston in, I whip out my phone and live-watch the camera to line the car up closely. Of course, a back-up camera would solve having to do this...

Wheel chocks would also work in that situation. I use the old tennis ball on a string from the ceiling for my wife.

MRCW 05-25-2019 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vantage_007 (Post 4783881)

Interesting that you are commenting on a system that you have never had on a car you own.

A backup camera attached to the rear of a vehicle is to aid in backing up, and to alleviate the rear blind spot. It is specifically designed to avoid a backup collision. The area directly behind vehicles has been described as a "killing zone" due to the associated carnage.

Did you know back up cameras are now required safety equipment on all new cars. In March 31, 2014, four years past its deadline, the U.S. NHTSA announced that it would require all automobiles sold in the United States built beginning in May 2018 to include backup cameras.

It makes sense to me to retrofit them when you can. I know of know one who can swivel their head around to see the blind spot behind the car, especially one with such limited rear visibility as an Aston Martin. Every vehicle I own has one, whether factory OEM for retrofit.

Import 12-04-2021 05:24 PM

Great write up…and thanks for posting..I am going to do this install soon..