6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Loud hum (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/425935-loud-hum.html)

Denny 6.53 11-04-2018 03:37 PM

Loud hum

I have had a lot of help on this site, so here I go again! Haven't driven my car in a few weeks - rainy weather. Today is sunny so I took the car out. After a few miles, I started to hear a hum which kept getting louder. By the time I got home, it was pretty loud. I have felt like the clutch was starting to slip. Can the two be related? Thanks. BTW, my car is an '11
V8V S with the ss2

embdenb 11-05-2018 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Denny 6.53 (Post 4748302)
I have had a lot of help on this site, so here I go again! Haven't driven my car in a few weeks - rainy weather. Today is sunny so I took the car out. After a few miles, I started to hear a hum which kept getting louder. By the time I got home, it was pretty loud. I have felt like the clutch was starting to slip. Can the two be related? Thanks. BTW, my car is an '11
V8V S with the ss2

Need more info. Where is it coming from, does it vary with speed or braking. BTW unlikely it’s the clutch.

Denny 6.53 11-05-2018 07:39 AM

The noise is outside of the car and sounds like it's on the right side. Almost like a pump, but not a squeal like a bearing. Water pump? The direction of
the sound can be deceiving, but I left the car running when I got home, and it sounded like the right side.

embdenb 11-05-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Denny 6.53 (Post 4748379)
The noise is outside of the car and sounds like it's on the right side. Almost like a pump, but not a squeal like a bearing. Water pump? The direction of
the sound can be deceiving, but I left the car running when I got home, and it sounded like the right side.

A pump in the engine compartment? Or towards the rear of the car? A mechanics stethoscope can be helpful.

J doubleU 11-05-2018 08:29 AM

You have a Vacuum leak for the exhaust bypass, simple to check, remove fuse #22 in the left rear fuse box. (under the carpet in the trunk) yellow 20amp fuse.

cuddapah 11-05-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by J doubleU (Post 4748390)
You have a Vacuum leak for the exhaust bypass, simple to check, remove fuse #22 in the left rear fuse box. (under the carpet in the trunk) yellow 20amp fuse.

After removing fuse #22, how to test?
I recently removed it and got emission service required message. I cleared the fault code and it came back after a week. I put the fuse back, cleared the fault codes and waiting to see if it comes again.

J doubleU 11-05-2018 05:40 PM

Fuse is for the vacuum pump in the right rear of the car. Removes the power to the pump to keep it from running. Later models the fuse is a 5amp in #15 slot. you may want to check that.

Denny 6.53 11-05-2018 06:59 PM

OK ! I pulled fuse 22 and started the car. Definitely louder at idle. I am going to drive it tomorrow or Wednesday,
when the shop is closed. No hum at the moment.

Thank you, everyone !

thisistcab7 01-10-2021 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What was the final verdict on this? I am having the same issue, removed fuse 15/22 and the sound still is there on startup

Denny 6.53 01-10-2021 08:45 AM

No verdict. Life was a lot busier at the time. Since then, I have retired and now I am busier than ever.
Now that you remind me, I will get the car up on the rack before spring and see if I can find the vacuum line.