Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Should you clear bra headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:02 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Should you clear bra headlights?

Some say it’s fine and others say don’t do do it on the headlights because it traps heat and can cracks it. Anyone have experience on their AMs? Do brands really matter?

Last edited by lovingit; 11-19-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:14 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Mine are clearbra'd and thank god, the Aston headlight covers are very prone to scratches/chipping

Old 11-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Xpel vs Suntek vs 3m vs others? Is color, performance and thickness all about the same?

Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Nowadays, they're all pretty good. I think mine have Suntek (headlights included) and it's over three years old without any issues at all. I absolutely love the amount of protection it provides and will have it on every car I own from now on.

Last edited by Mathman85; 11-19-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:31 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Definitely clear wrap the headlights. My 2006 was wrapped as new, and I re-wrapped them 5yrs ago. Headlights look absolutely perfect. Zero aging or haze.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
Definitely clear wrap the headlights. My 2006 was wrapped as new, and I re-wrapped them 5yrs ago. Headlights look absolutely perfect. Zero aging or haze.
Every shop sells different brands. Most around here have Suntek or 3M. Xpel is harder to find. One shop has Llumar. One shop says 3m is thicker than Xpel and Suntek and it’s better to have thicker for protection. All have 10 year warranty. So is performance all the same?

Last edited by lovingit; 11-19-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Mine are Xpel. I had the car paint corrected, then ceramic coated. Sealed in with clearbra on top. Entire front end minus grill is covered, front quarter panels and headlights - highly recommend it. When you see the amount of chips in the clearbra it makes you never want to drive a car without it again

Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Anyone heard of STEK Dyno for clear bra? I haven’t before.

comparison of 3m vs suntek vs xpel. Seems like 3m wins.

Last edited by lovingit; 11-19-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lilseevs
Mine are Xpel. I had the car paint corrected, then ceramic coated. Sealed in with clearbra on top. Entire front end minus grill is covered, front quarter panels and headlights - highly recommend it. When you see the amount of chips in the clearbra it makes you never want to drive a car without it again
+1, Er 2 I have had both of my Astons covered completely in the front, Hood, fenders, headlights, A-pillars. the Xpel is amazing stuff and does a great job protecting the cars from bugs, bird droppings, small crap thrown up by the car in front of you. Also agree on getting the pain corrected first, then wrapping.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lilseevs
Not sure why you coated the Aston before the paint protection film (PPF). The paint would be protected by the PPF, then the coating helps to protect the PPF itself. Now your PPF is bare and the coating is doing nothing. All else is great.

Originally Posted by lovingit
Every shop sells different brands. Most around here have Suntek or 3M. Xpel is harder to find. One shop has Llumar. One shop says 3m is thicker than Xpel and Suntek and it’s better to have thicker for protection. All have 10 year warranty. So is performance all the same?
Go with Xpel, Suntek, 3m PRO, or Clear Guard Nano. Dont even look further. I believe you said you front end was already PPF'd. So your just asking about the headlights. Get Clear Guard nano, its 8mm thick, and the clearest of all of them. Also the most expensive. But clearer is better especially on headlights.

All of them are about 6mm thick. 3M Pro makes their own film, adhesives, etc....They held the patent on it. Xpel, Suntek and others get their films made for them. All will last close to 10 years, but its recommended to remove and replace in the 5-7 year time frame. The longer the film is on the paint, the harder it is to remove. At some point, the film will come off in small pieces and at around $175 to remove and a signed disclaimer holding me responsible for paint peeling off, it can take 10+ hours to just remove. Not including the paint correction that typically need to follow it.

Couple schools of thought here:
I use a very professional person to do all my clients PPF work. I cannot even compare to his quality, so I dont compete. But I am certified to do it by 3M and one of the forum sponsors.

1. The PPF glue will and does fill in imperfections in the paint, so my guy says not to do a paint correction.
2. The new PPF's have thier own hydrophobic coatings on them, so no need to TOP it with a sealant or coating

My philosophy on the subject

1. Although the glues do fill in imperfections, I want them gone, but also I want the gloss levels maximized. The PPF will take away some gloss, just because you are applying a layer on top of the paint. So I want that gloss to be the best it can be.

2. PPF is really expensive. Its also really hard to apply correctly without stretching it too much, bubbles left in it, scratching it beyond its self healing ability with the squeege. etc...SO I say you should protect it. Why not put a sacrificial layer on top of it, so that the PPF last longer in its original condition. Coatings are the best form of protection on top of the PPF. Also the coating on top will enhance the gloss again, so none in the end is lost.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Mine was done in 2010 with a very thick 5? piece kit, that's starting to get a little lift and dirt under some spots and edges. I'd have it replaced but I'm afraid there are alot of rock chips under it and it'll need paint before getting replaced. So for now I'm just going to leave it. I don't think there is anything on my lights though, except more rock marks.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:18 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
We use XPEL on all of our cars and we do probably close to a thousand cars a year. PPF is perfectly safe on the AM's headlights...actually the only car that I know of that it is not safe on is the new Porsche headlights as they come with a factory lamination. Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Not sure why you coated the Aston before the paint protection film (PPF). The paint would be protected by the PPF, then the coating helps to protect the PPF itself. Now your PPF is bare and the coating is doing nothing. All else is
I am coated underneath and on top of the Xpel

Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Bear in mind the Aston headlights have a coating on them. I went to have xpel ppf on headlights and installer needed to remove to reposition and pulled off a slight part of the coating.