Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston lost a client today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Aston lost a client today

Ok so I have been waiting for the new Vantage hearing of it some three years ago.
as we know the car is out and we can order, in South Africa the dealer is Daytona Group who look after high end brands like AM, RollsR and and they own a big BMW outlet in joburg.

now I have owned my Aston for some 6 almost 7 years had a dealer service every year until 2 years back when it had no warranty left, I had AM put in a new clutch at a cost of R80k +- 6000 USD to you guys.
in simple terms I have paid for this car, I have loved this car and my car is as new inside and out never driven in the rain ever!
i buy a new car every year for myself rewarding myself for working hard, I have always kept my Vantage as it's special trading something lesser,
now I am pedantic with maintenance being a pilot it's just that I believe in basic maintenance and I believe in oil and filter every year irrespective of the km driven between changes.
in this case the car has done 2563km since last oil change some 14 months back

i approached Redpants for a price on filters and also a set of gas shocks for boot and door, got a response email and never got a quote for the bits or the shipping to South Africa... so frustrated I attempted to source an aftermarket oil filter locally with the help from a fellow Aston enthusiast

i exhusted every local possible aftermarket oil filter (cutting open and comparing) GUD,Mann,Baldwin, none looked like OEM.

i approached Aston Martin Cape Town to supply me a filter ....I can get oil and I certainly have the knowledge to do a oil change, they refused saying it must come to them? This is a 7 year old garage queen with 33000km on clock!

i am further frustrated with this attitude and decided right there that I will not add a new Vantage to my toy box in the next 6 months, so a filter cost them a client and sale of a new car !
the manager locally knows me and knows I'm a serious buyer with him having flown with me and seen and driven my other cars, himself knowing I will buy the new Vantage when it's available.

well f$&&k them
I can buy parts for my Italian toys my American toys my Range Rover and even merc if I want too.

so guys I'm out

in the mean time Kirsty at Aston Martin bits U.K. Have confirmed that oil filters and gas shocks for my Vantage are packed and will leave for Cape Town tomorrow

i want to spend my money with people who want it and who need it ....not arrogant companies that are doing me a favour

rant off

Old 11-26-2018, 12:02 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Good for you -with individual rights being taken every day around the globe, is it rewarding we can still vote with our money.

chr

Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
That’s a crazy story. Good for you!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
In 1976 - I had a Ford Capri that had a squeak in the clutch the dealer failed to fix - after about 6 months the squeak became a squeal, and they said the clutch bearing was never lubed from the factory, so they replaced the defective part and added grease. I said I've been driving the car for 6 months - why not replace all the affected parts - they said in a sarcastic way: read the warranty - we just have to replace the defect - the clutch lube. I immediately traded the car and said I'll never buy a Ford product again... and I did not till a few years ago when I leased a new Ford Focus during the recession and Ford had the best financing. I also went through about a car every year or two, so Ford lost out big time.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
@captain Greg You should write Andy Palmer with a summary of events if you think there may be a dim glimmer of hope of buying another Aston. I know you are pissed right now, and rightfully so. The local dealer may need a dressing down from corporate.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Good for you opting out and not buying the pig Vantage.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:37 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
@captain Greg You should write Andy Palmer with a summary of events if you think there may be a dim glimmer of hope of buying another Aston. I know you are pissed right now, and rightfully so. The local dealer may need a dressing down from corporate.
I feel approaching the head of the co to moan about a small thing (in this case a filter) is not going to get me the good feelings I have had with AM, when I purchased mine it was special to me a token of achievement ( in SA when I purchased my car one could have purchased a small family home, for similar money) to put it into perspective

if the local dealer is now bullied into providing me a part that as they say goes against their company ethos and business plan then our relationship will be tarnished and I would always wonder how will they look after me with my new Vantage and possibly my last as I'm not getting younger and my working (read income years are limited)

Toby Venter sells 100's of Porsche cars per year in SA, mabye it's time I went to the dark side because after all people buy from people not corporations and I'm right frustrated trying to get a oil filter for a car that is paid and the local dealer has profited from in the past yet they have tea time rules.....no Sir a Vantage locally sells for ZAR 3 million and this is a huge amount of cash.
Possibly a new brand is more hungry? More prepared to just make a plan for a customer...?
i will keep my old one and will now send it to Crosly and Webb if it needs heavy maintenance that I can't do, my relationship with the local dealer is over we have seen their true colors.

one thing the local manager knows me and knows I was keen and knows I have the coin saved for this last splurge before I settle down to full retirement let him remember that when discussing his sales targets.

will I miss the brand ( the new addition) I'm not sure I have had reservations about it being a Mercedes and not a pure AM at heart.

in saying that I was privleaged last week to give my wife her final car we think,.. it is a A class Mercedes and I must say the fit and finish is superb and a 6 year full motor plan included.
things happen in life for a reason and I'm sure as I calm down and dust settles things will be more in focus

in my comments on the new Vantage in other threads I did comment that I felt it's a car that can be driven hard with its merc drive train, something I have been uncomfortable with regarding my 6 speed manual and the weak OEM clutch (locally the agent would not fit an aftermarket clutch) at the time

for you you guys who own the 2019 and who are getting enjoy it ....don't let my comments cloud the waters

Old 11-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
In 1976 - I had a Ford Capri that had a squeak in the clutch the dealer failed to fix - after about 6 months the squeak became a squeal, and they said the clutch bearing was never lubed from the factory, so they replaced the defective part and added grease. I said I've been driving the car for 6 months - why not replace all the affected parts - they said in a sarcastic way: read the warranty - we just have to replace the defect - the clutch lube. I immediately traded the car and said I'll never buy a Ford product again... and I did not till a few years ago when I leased a new Ford Focus during the recession and Ford had the best financing. I also went through about a car every year or two, so Ford lost out big time.
just touching on your Ford expierence I must say that I am loving my Ford Mustang GT it's a blue collar working mans car but it's great fun and less than a third the price of a new Vantage I have had it for 15 months now and it's done almost 10000km so I must be enjoying it let's hope the local dealer does not let me down when it needs major service, it's the one car that puts a smile on my face every time I drive it

Old 11-26-2018, 03:21 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The ownership experience includes the dealership. I like to think in a perfect world, owning these cars is a partnership of sorts with the dealer. We need each other to have the best outcome.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Still, suggest writing to Andy. I am sure you'll receive a response. It is also for other customers that are restricted to that dealership. Sorry to hear the grief. No fun for a passionate enthusiast.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:03 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
@captain Greg another +1 on writing to Andy. Even better, tweet to him. He reads.

Also, did you say the manager knows you? Perhaps a misunderstanding somewhere.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Managers are not at the same dealership for life. Maybe something will change at the dealer? My AM dealer is quick to sell any part, car, service, clothing, merchandise.... They're open for business.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:53 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
My service writer Christy just quit to go to Subaru corporate, retirement, pension, better benefits. She has been my rock and has had my back at every turn, nobody could have done more than she has. I will sorely miss her, went up to see her on her last day, but I'll take her to an Eagles game every year from now on. In fact she gets first pick! Met her replacement and he's a good guy, but he's got some very big shoes to fill!

I bring my own filters in, the last case of the white ones, and they change the oil for me.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by captain Greg

I feel approaching the head of the co to moan about a small thing (in this case a filter) is not going to get me the good feelings I have had with AM, when I purchased mine it was special to me a token of achievement ( in SA when I purchased my car one could have purchased a small family home, for similar money) to put it into perspective

if the local dealer is now bullied into providing me a part that as they say goes against their company ethos and business plan then our relationship will be tarnished and I would always wonder how will they look after me with my new Vantage and possibly my last as I'm not getting younger and my working (read income years are limited)

Toby Venter sells 100's of Porsche cars per year in SA, mabye it's time I went to the dark side because after all people buy from people not corporations and I'm right frustrated trying to get a oil filter for a car that is paid and the local dealer has profited from in the past yet they have tea time rules.....no Sir a Vantage locally sells for ZAR 3 million and this is a huge amount of cash.
Possibly a new brand is more hungry? More prepared to just make a plan for a customer...?
i will keep my old one and will now send it to Crosly and Webb if it needs heavy maintenance that I can't do, my relationship with the local dealer is over we have seen their true colors.

one thing the local manager knows me and knows I was keen and knows I have the coin saved for this last splurge before I settle down to full retirement let him remember that when discussing his sales targets.

will I miss the brand ( the new addition) I'm not sure I have had reservations about it being a Mercedes and not a pure AM at heart.

in saying that I was privleaged last week to give my wife her final car we think,.. it is a A class Mercedes and I must say the fit and finish is superb and a 6 year full motor plan included.
things happen in life for a reason and I'm sure as I calm down and dust settles things will be more in focus

in my comments on the new Vantage in other threads I did comment that I felt it's a car that can be driven hard with its merc drive train, something I have been uncomfortable with regarding my 6 speed manual and the weak OEM clutch (locally the agent would not fit an aftermarket clutch) at the time

for you you guys who own the 2019 and who are getting enjoy it ....don't let my comments cloud the waters
Can't really help you out on the dealer frustration, made my choice to leave the dealer life 3 months ago.

Just a heads up..I'm with VAP now, Stuart and I could get you OEM filters, drain plugs, washer..etc if needed.

If you wanted an aftermarket oil filter, might want to check out a MANN-Filter W713/29, believe that was the same.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-27-2018, 05:00 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Irish07@VelocityAP
Can't really help you out on the dealer frustration, made my choice to leave the dealer life 3 months ago.

Just a heads up..I'm with VAP now, Stuart and I could get you OEM filters, drain plugs, washer..etc if needed.

If you wanted an aftermarket oil filter, might want to check out a MANN-Filter W713/29, believe that was the same.
This is the first time I've seen a legit suggestion for an alternative filter. Irish - what's your experience with this Mann filter? Does it match the factory bypass pressure rating?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston lost a client today