Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Got T-boned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:14 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Values:

2016 V8 Vantage GTS models:

Retail for coupes with 12k or less models you are looking at values from 75k to 85k max. One was just sold here in Washington DC with 2k miles and for 75k.

Carfax ding due to accident: IF the vehicle CAN BE certified by Aston then the diminished value would be LOW wholesale minus 5-10k.

If the vehicle CANNOT be certified by Aston for extended warranty under thier certified pre-owned program, then the vehicle most likely would be worth 40-45k.

Most any dealer should provide somewhere around these numbers.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:40 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Values:

2016 V8 Vantage GTS models:

Retail for coupes with 12k or less models you are looking at values from 75k to 85k max. One was just sold here in Washington DC with 2k miles and for 75k.

Carfax ding due to accident: IF the vehicle CAN BE certified by Aston then the diminished value would be LOW wholesale minus 5-10k.

If the vehicle CANNOT be certified by Aston for extended warranty under thier certified pre-owned program, then the vehicle most likely would be worth 40-45k.

Most any dealer should provide somewhere around these numbers.
Thank you. Is this for a base model? Does the fact that mine has all the expensive options make a difference? I have just less than 12k miles

Anyway, appreciate the tip to tweet Dr. Palmer. He responded right away, but I also called my insurance and called the shop and another shop to see what the issue was. Strangely enough, I got an estimate a few hours later. A little over $40k

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 AM
bolteon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rohnin

Thank you. Is this for a base model? Does the fact that mine has all the expensive options make a difference? I have just less than 12k miles

Anyway, appreciate the tip to tweet Dr. Palmer. He responded right away, but I also called my insurance and called the shop and another shop to see what the issue was. Strangely enough, I got an estimate a few hours later. A little over $40k
$40k doesn't sound unreasonable considering everything. Did they spec a timeframe to do the work?

Old 03-26-2019, 05:00 PM
Update.

The shop called today and my car will be totaled.

Work had already started and parts had arrived but the costs kept adding up. A new door was already put on, too.

I need advice on what to do now. I still owe about $60k on the car, I bought it new for $170k, and I’m waiting for them to give me a number. Do I need a lawyer? What about loss of use/car rental reimbursement for this whole time (3 months)? I’m assuming diminished value is no longer a consideration or no?

Also, I will need to sell some parts. I had just received a brand new pair of black surround clear tails I was going to put on the car, I don’t think RedPants takes returns so I’ll just let them go what I paid for them, hopefully locally. I also have (brand new):

AM battery tender
Front and rear black wings badges
AM tire valve stem caps
AM trunk carpet (black with wings embroidery, not new but mint)
AM trunk umbrella
Cream truffle ECU leather case
Black with yellow stitching ECU leather case
Black armrest leather square (not new but mint)

This was my 3rd and last Bez-era Vantage, still I think the most beautiful modern car ever made. I guess it’s not meant to be, but it was fun while it lasted I guess

Last edited by rohnin; 03-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:38 PM
bolteon is an unknown quantity at this point
That sucks, but it's for the better.

The car would never be the same regardless of how much work would go into it (at least anything less than shipping it to Gaydon and rebuilding it from scratch).

As for the money, you should get a check for how much the car is worth 3 months ago. Up to you (or a lawyer) to fight for what the number is. Since it was such a new car, I would imagine you're owed a good deal over 60k.

PM me what you want on the umbrella, you don't have front floor mats by chance?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear they are totaling your GTS. The whole story sucks and there are too few GTS' to have this happen. Hopefully insurance takes care of you.

PM'd you about some of the parts you listed.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:01 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 007JB
I'm sorry to see that. I think I met you in one of the Rusnak's cars & coffee show in Pasadena. You have a beautiful car. Such a shame , but main thing is that you're ok. I know it's very stressful & dealing with insurance co is never fun, because they will "nickle & dime" you all the possible ways. Like some of suggested, I'd recommend to settle up with insurance before any repairs. I Live & work in Pasadena(repair service shop), if you ever need anything just PM me I'll share my number. There is exotic car repair shop in Burbank,( DC Autocraft) don't take your car there. I had lot of issues with them, when they're repairing my wife's car.
In any case , you can always get another car, like you already thinking about dark red car.
Good Luck.

Avo
I spoke to the general manager at DC Autocraft. I wouldn’t use those guys. They have terrible communication skills and did not give me a sense they were competent or passionate about their work.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
It's probably the best case for you. As mentioned the car would never be the same.

What's next?

Old 03-27-2019, 08:03 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
@rohnin What do you think it was worth (trade in value) before the accident? Granted trade in value is on the low side, but that what I suspect they'll use. If they offer a check in that range, I don't see the need for a lawyer. Hard part is with a car like that, determining "trade in value" is not so easy. What does your local AM dealer think it was worth before the accident? If you can get some written pre accident valuations statements that would be good to have on hand for insurance.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Zettinger
It's probably the best case for you. As mentioned the car would never be the same.

What's next?
Nothing. I’m tired of losing money and getting headaches over cars. I’m happy with the new Mazda3 I just bought a few weeks ago. It’s comfortable and has everything I need. It’s my first automatic car!

Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
@rohnin What do you think it was worth (trade in value) before the accident? Granted trade in value is on the low side, but that what I suspect they'll use. If they offer a check in that range, I don't see the need for a lawyer. Hard part is with a car like that, determining "trade in value" is not so easy. What does your local AM dealer think it was worth before the accident? If you can get some written pre accident valuations statements that would be good to have on hand for insurance.
I’m waiting for them to give me their number for my car’s value, perhaps by the end of the week. But I doubt they’ll include rental car/loss of use and that can add up over three months (I didn’t rent a car). I know these cars lose a lot of value but it’s irreplaceable as a fully-loaded custom order so idk if that means anything to them. I wish I had an appraisal before all this happened

Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Might I add, your insurance policy should have the value of your car. That value on your policy is what you get, i.e., retail (not wholesale). Depending on how you insured the vehicle, you should be paid a significant sum for your car.

Hopefully, you should have insured your car for replacement value.

This is heartbreaking. In truth, I'm coming to find out not too many people custom built their Vantages and typically just took dealer stock. As gorgeous as these cars already were/are, they are even more amazing when personalized via the custom build program.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Hopefully, you should have insured your car for replacement value.
Replacement or agreed value insurance policies are very rare in my state at least. I can't speak for other states.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
@terminal_ac Why would his insurance pay out for the car? He was hit by an insured driver.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Well, I have no idea what my insurance felt my car was worth, but they offered 85k + tax today. I see GTS for sale around 85-100k, none of which are optioned out like mine. But I guess that’s all I have to work with.

My attorney doesn’t want to help with the payout, only the loss of use claim against the other driver’s insurance

Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 AM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't give up

Don't give up. Provide them with documentation showing the options on your car and the cost of the options. And ask them to add the options cost to their offer. There must be something like a BBB for insurance companies. Look that up. I've had a lot of success with dealing with difficult companies by reporting to the BBB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got T-boned