Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

‘15 V12 Vantage S transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Andynj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thinking of buying a ‘15 V12 Vantage S Roadster. Have not driven one yet but reviews really kill the transmission. Anybody have one/driven one? Is it really that bad? Deal breaker?

Old 12-29-2018, 02:37 PM
mick996r is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had my 2014 V12S Roadster for 14 months and the SS transmission is fine. I had a F430 F1 before that for 3 years and the transmissions are similar. There is no way I want to be pushing on a clutch pedal, the SS trans is more than adequate. People say not to use the auto button as it can be jerky but I use it some times with no real adverse effects. However I do usually use the paddle shifts and they are very good. For putting the car into my garage (tight fit) I usually use the auto button as it feels like I use less rev's to get the car moving. Give one a try I do not think you will be disappointed.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:52 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
If you like driving a manual you will not be happy. I have owned both and now only have the six speed in both my Aston's. If you are not a manual person then you should be ok. Go drive it and see what you think.
The point to remember is its not a manual and its not an automatic. You may like it and you may not. Be sure and take it for a long test drive. Around the block is not near long enough.
Micks point about driving it in heavy traffic is valid. A manual is not pleasant in that circumstance. Your resale value and clutch wear will also be worse with the sport shift.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Not worried about a manual - had a Mc 650S , F 458 and L Huracan before so all double clutch. Wondering if the single is a problem (and it was panned by the press)

Old 12-30-2018, 05:59 AM
I have had several dual clutches as well. If your question is how does the single clutch compare to the dual clutch the answer is it doesn't. Old technology versus new. There is no comparison.
You won't be happy with the sport shift.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I have a V12S - I think the SSIII is light years above an automatic as it's involving yet eliminates the clutch - you still modulate the gas as if your shifting manually (which you are)... no issues at all. The only thing as a caution - I know a few V12S owners who beat the crap out of the car, and a few who drive normally (as normal as you can with a V12S) - My first V12S was a 'certified' Aston Martin car - turns out 'certified' meant it was tracked - so we settled out of court and they replaced the car. The second owner (after me) already had a new engine, several new computers replaced, and two new clutches - in the past year alone. So if it's certified used, demand the pedigree and in writing it was not a previous Aston Martin owned car. My new one has had zero issues, but I'm still going to extend the warranty until I can't anymore (12 years since first registered). If you need any other advce feel free to PM me... I've had 5 Vantages over the past 11 years.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
How does the sportshift lll compared to the sportshift in a 2009 V8Vantage. I had a 2009 V8Vantage with the sportshift and really didn’t like it. Hopefully the sportshift lll is much better.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:30 PM
And how about in “auto” mode rather than paddling?

Old 12-30-2018, 04:27 PM
SS III is better than the SS I in an 09. Auto is still jerky compared to an automatic. They don't make the SS anymore. Enough said.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The Auto mode on all Sportshifts are pretty pathetic - the V12S less so. I also had a 2009 Sportshift - and a 2015 V8 GT Sportshift. I really don't understand the logic Aston had by not including the Sportshift III on all Vantages V8's and V12's... they had to know about the market disadvantage of the older Sportshift's, but the 2015 Sportshift II and the III are better than earlier versions. However, my V8 GT had two warranty issues (both $5k) on failed computers that affected the sportshift, whereas the Sportshift III seems to be solid (so far) with 13,000 miles on it. My 2009 went 45,000 miles on the original clutch before it needed replacement. When it test drove the 2019 Vantage automatic I felt helpless as the transmission held onto gears and seemed more 'jerky' to me than my sportshift III in automode (my wife drives it in Automode), and I felt much less in control - I've spoken to some Aston sales reps who have felt the same.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:12 AM
perfect (I will pm you when my 5 days and 5 posts are up) My wife would only drive in auto and when I am feeling very lazy so will I. Trying to find a sweetspot on depreciation/cost. In the past I have had 2 Mclarens , a 458 Spider and a Huracan Spider. I have a habit of changing every year or so and the $230-$250k outlay then the 20-30k depreciation is getting a bit tough to swallow. The ‘15 V12S Roadsters looked like a great alternative - theres always depreciation but they seem to be trading at around 1/2 of msrp with less than 10k miles so I wonder if the big it has already happened. Just want to hear some thoughts before I move further down the road.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:16 AM
If the auto mode is a complete disaster that would not necessarily be a deal killer for me. Would just mean being less lazy and that the wife won’t drive it (actually that may be a positive!)

Old 01-02-2019, 08:12 AM
branjk is an unknown quantity at this point
V12s

i have a 2015 v12s for about 8 months and love it. SSS3 is in between manual and automatic/dual clutch. Older tech is true. I have read that Aston choose this because the size of the engine and with the trans in the back of the car they only had so much room. Apparently a manual was larger and heavier and dual clutch to big. Regardless the semi-manual trans is different. If you truly love the clutch aspect of driving than you won’t want this option. For me it was not a deal breaker. After driving the v12 I loved the sound, which is what sealed the deal for me. The key when driving it is to think of it as a manual without the clutch. A slight lift of the gas pedal when shifting smooths it out but honestly it is not critical. The auto or D mode is worthless, never use it.
FWIW I had same approach about the depreciation of the V12s. Right now I think it is in a sweet spot. A lot of car for the money.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by branjk
i have a 2015 v12s for about 8 months and love it. SSS3 is in between manual and automatic/dual clutch. Older tech is true. I have read that Aston choose this because the size of the engine and with the trans in the back of the car they only had so much room. Apparently a manual was larger and heavier and dual clutch to big. Regardless the semi-manual trans is different. If you truly love the clutch aspect of driving than you won’t want this option. For me it was not a deal breaker. After driving the v12 I loved the sound, which is what sealed the deal for me. The key when driving it is to think of it as a manual without the clutch. A slight lift of the gas pedal when shifting smooths it out but honestly it is not critical. The auto or D mode is worthless, never use it.
FWIW I had same approach about the depreciation of the V12s. Right now I think it is in a sweet spot. A lot of car for the money.
thats great - thanks for the input