Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 V8S Manual Trans - Are they "Noisey" in 1st?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:51 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 V8S Manual Trans - Are they "Noisey" in 1st?

Evening All,

Picked my new to me car up today and am half way back to Atlanta from Houston. Quick question - Does anyone else's manual tranny make a noise when in 1st?

To be clear, its not a whine, it's not a throw out bearing rattle...it just when moving slow (around a gas station or pulling in to the hotel) and driving in 1st, I can hear the tranny working. It's not very loud (music on you cant hear anything), no weird vibrations or knocks... just sounds a little like a straight cut gearbox.

Noise is not the clutch throw bearing; no rattle or cease of rattle when foot on the clutch pedal...

It's been a while since i've had a manual car so it may be normal for this car. It shifts gears like butter, no clutch judder or slip at all....this is purely a very slow speed, 1st gear scenario.

Thanks all,

Goodnght, Matt.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
My two manuals don't. If a dealership is close have them take a listen.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 AM
Thanks. After more thought and some
sleep, the noise isn’t the Trans... it would be coming from the rear diff area.

Again, not loud at all...just a new to me car so I’m listening for anything...

Old 12-30-2018, 07:58 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I have a 13 6MT, no noise in 1st.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:40 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe it's just getting use to the rear transaxle style layout? Has the diff oil been replaced yet? I believe that is done every other year.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:00 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have had two V8Vantage cars and still have one. Neither of them made any noise from the transaxle. Look on the Redpants web site and you can get the fluid you need to change and a video on how to change it. Rich does a very good job of providing great products at a good cost a videos on how to work on your Aston.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:36 PM
ok....I've put about 1000 miles on the car since I purchased it 48hrs ago. I think all is good and I'm just over listening to the new car.

I did notice the parcel shelf was a bit loose and was causing a little vibration; fixed that and it seems to be less noisy.

I think its just me getting used to the car.

Love it!

Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Low speeds you will get a little bit of clutch chatter, kind of a groan, even my new stock clutch has it, the V12 clutch that was in it was 3 times as loud. The transaxle shouldn't make any noise besides the slight whirl of gears, under no load with clutch in the box will chatter, sometimes it chatters alot, it all depends on how loose it's getting. Mine has been grumbling since some violent tire shake and is getting pulled out tomorrow to take to MD to be broken down and diagnosed. Even the tone of the chatter changed so I don't know what they'll find but I'm hoping it's just something bearings related!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
mine makes all sorts of interesting sounds when its very cold out, usually around 25F here when I leave for work in the morning and i get an almost supercharger sounding whine from the front of the car when its cold... not all the time though and once its warm nothing... ALso the shifter can be a bit grindy and not smooth when its cold out, I think i need to have the area under the shifter knawb greased up a bit I also get the strange sound when im at low rpm in 2nd gear from the transaxle or drive shaft, I can't even really describe it, its really interesting but nothing to worry about I've been told and is "typical" from a transaxle car