Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brand of gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I use ethanol free when I can.
I'd like to know a bit more on why? Here in Florida ethanol free is only 89 ands not considered premium...i use it in my boat because of water absorption concerns and because my boat holds 200 gallons and I don't want phase separation...

did you notice a difference?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MRCW
I'd like to know a bit more on why? Here in Florida ethanol free is only 89 ands not considered premium...i use it in my boat because of water absorption concerns and because my boat holds 200 gallons and I don't want phase separation...

I only use 92 octane ethanol free, if it were between 89 e-free or 91 e10, I'd be choosing the e10. It's also a top tier additive package. Without these things, I'd suck it up and use the e10.

The energy content is higher so my cars probably do make a little more power and get better mileage, but that doesn't offset the added cost and that's not why I use it. It's very damp here in Seattle so I want to minimize moisture content in the tank and fuel lines to minimize corrosion. I don't go through a tank of gas very quickly and the cars are stored in the winter so the same gas is in the tank for a while, which is not only exposing everything to additional moisture, but also allowing the ethanol to accelerate the varnishing process of the gasoline. Also, although they say all the plastics/rubbers in the fuel system are resistant to ethanol in modern cars, I'm going to do all i can to extend the life of the materials in the system.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MRCW

when I was driving through Nebraska they pretty much only had ethanol free gas there and i got about 1 better highway MPG (22.5!) while cruising around 80-85mph but that could have been wind related or who knows... I don't think it makes much difference

Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I use ethanol free when I can.
where and what gas stations do you use. There are no ethanol free in my area (that I know off), Everett.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
Ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline. It actually reduces your horsepower output AND simultaneously gives you worse gas mileage. But it acts like a high octane gasoline in that it alleviates detonation and pinging.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
In addition to what Yorick shared - ethanol gas also breaks down faster than non-ethanol gas - so not great for 30+ day old gas. Ethanol being alcohol absorbs moisture in the air and the water and fuel can separate, Recommended approach with ethanol gas is to keep the tank as full as possible (less surface area absorbing moisture) as well as use an ethanol treatment in the fuel. Living in New York, I tend to not drive the AM as much during Dec - April, and want to avoid any degradation of the fuel system where I can. After a fair bit of "google" research, I started using Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment (
Amazon Amazon
)

Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM
also - exactly to what blue2000s shared - the plastic / rubber components of our modern cars (90s+) are not as affected by ethanol in the same way as the older cars where ethanol will destroy the piping / seals etc.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan

where and what gas stations do you use. There are no ethanol free in my area (that I know off), Everett.
Hey Dale,

When I lived in Lynnwood I would go up to the Snohomish Co-Op station in Snohomish. It was a bit of a drive so I wasn't using e-free every time, but as often as I could and always used it before putting the cars up for winter. Now the Grange CoOp is just down the street from my house in Issaquah so it's very convenient.

For anyone who wants to find e-free in your area, here's a decent site that seems to stay updated

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
In today's world with strict government regulations for refining gasoline it turns out there's no difference between most brands of gas. In fact other than octane rating there isn't much difference between regular and premium other than the extra profit to the refinery and service station.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
i have a CONOCO station right around the corner from me and they have all octane ratings in ethanol-free. i used to also run that fuel in my '67 GTO, but have since sold that car.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by astonChap
In addition to what Yorick shared - ethanol gas also breaks down faster than non-ethanol gas - so not great for 30+ day old gas. Ethanol being alcohol absorbs moisture in the air and the water and fuel can separate, Recommended approach with ethanol gas is to keep the tank as full as possible (less surface area absorbing moisture) as well as use an ethanol treatment in the fuel. Living in New York, I tend to not drive the AM as much during Dec - April, and want to avoid any degradation of the fuel system where I can. After a fair bit of "google" research, I started using Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014419UQ/)
Ethanol does not breakdown in 30 days, it starts at about 6-7 months according to straightdope.com, geez it sits in gas stations tanks for a week or two in less busy stations.

As far as the gas itself is concerned, all stations in your area get their gas from the same place. The only difference is the detergent.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM
randyb - granted, I'm no scientist and go based on reading from various sources, appreciate your insight, however, there is other information out there that contradicts ethanol lasting 7 months.

This was one of the articles that informed my understanding of how to handle ethanol fuel http://www.fuel-testers.com/expirati...hanol_gas.html

To each their own, I prefer to play it on the safe side.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM
superuser is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gene G
I go to Shell. When we shop for groceries at Publix they sell a $50 Shell gift card for $40 with a $50 grocery purchase and a coupon. They will let you buy as many as you want for every $50 in groceries. It is like getting a 20% discount on gas.
WOW, I did not know this, thanks so much for the tip.

-d

Old 01-13-2019, 01:24 PM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
I would never let ethanol touch the Princess' lips. It has lower energy density, higher moisture content, and degrades faster in the tank. It's a fuel that can't be piped due to it taking on moisture and degrading, which is why it needs to be trucked everywhere. It's an environmental, technical, and policy disaster.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I try to only fill up at Shell stations because I love the heritage colors from their race cars back in the day..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brand of gas