6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Brand of gas (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/427771-brand-gas.html)

lovingit 01-08-2019 06:37 PM

Brand of gas

I’ve read so many reviews that say Chevron is the best or Arco is the worst. Some say Coscto brand is fine. In the end, I’m not really sure it matters. What’s everyone’s opinion here? Do you religiously only get 91 gas at certain gas stations? Do you line up at Costco to save some money?

XJRS Owner 01-08-2019 09:14 PM

You're not serious, are you? Did you have a car before your Aston? Where'd you buy gas? Go there.

V12Vin 01-09-2019 12:13 AM

AM is a special car that requires scottish highland cow's gas.

astonChap 01-09-2019 05:10 AM

No preference on petrol brand here, though I find myself sticking with stations that have good lighting so I can see my car as I fill up 😂 In all seriousness, ethanol content and octane are what I prioritize - though it’s rare to find any ethanol free gas near me (north of manhattan, NY) it’s easier to make sure 91+ octane (93 most of the time).

As far as ethanol - i’m about to add some ethanol fuel treatment to the tank - especially as I’m not using the car while there’s salt and ****e on the roads.

MRCW 01-09-2019 08:59 AM

Add a bottle of single malt scotch every 1,000 miles... for the Aston, 93 at Costco for me. .I always get into discussions with folks who never seen an Aston Martin... always fun showing off cars

sonies 01-09-2019 10:15 AM

its... gas man... just buy premium or whatever and fill er up... not much thought goes into it

lovingit 01-09-2019 10:21 AM

I usually just get 91 Costco. You wouldn’t believe how many of my neighbors with exotics believe Chevron is the only gas they put in.

brightoncorgi 01-09-2019 10:49 AM

I use a gas station that has the most level entry & egress, and secondly offers a free bottle of water with 8 gallon or more purchase.

astonChap 01-09-2019 02:44 PM

MRCW I love the idea of a good single malt every 1000 miles lol - hopefully not at the petrol station 😂

Gene G 01-09-2019 04:30 PM

I go to Shell. When we shop for groceries at Publix they sell a $50 Shell gift card for $40 with a $50 grocery purchase and a coupon. They will let you buy as many as you want for every $50 in groceries. It is like getting a 20% discount on gas.

Mathman85 01-09-2019 04:50 PM

There is some variation in gasoline quality, but not much. On my hybrid, I collected enough data to conclude that I did get statistically significantly better fuel mileage with Speedway fuel, compared to Thornton's; and calculated that, even when accounting for the price premium and the slight further distance I'd have to drive to Speedway vs. Thornton's from my house, I'd save money going to Speedway. But I was purely concerned with it from a cost perspective, there. The reality is that, as long as you're getting your gasoline from one of the larger companies, the quality control will be high enough that you won't have anything to worry about.

Yorick 01-09-2019 05:52 PM

An important point that's being missed so far: The detergency of the gasoline is just as important, if not more so, as the the actual quality of untreated gasoline. In every locale everybody's gasoline gasoline is supplied from the same place. What distinguishes Shell from Chevron from Costco is the additive formulation added before being delivered to the gas station. Otherwise know as top tier gasolines. Top Tier specifies requirements for performance specifications and trademarks designed and is supported by several major automakers.
See https://www.toptiergas.com/
My wife is Dutch so she makes me use Shell.

HabitualOffender 01-09-2019 07:12 PM

The only top tier station I have close enough, Sunoco. Everything else is Lukeoil and Wawa, wherever that stuff comes from.

Before they put a new engine in it I wasn't as picky but if you start with clean I'm trying to keep it clean.

NoRush 01-09-2019 07:24 PM

Shell or BP for my cars.

blue2000s 01-09-2019 09:36 PM

I use ethanol free when I can.