Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 Vantage door lock issue / wing mirror folding issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:42 PM
anasu98 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Vantage door lock issue / wing mirror folding issue

Hi all,
Recently I bought 2007 V8 Vantage and have been trying to fix little issues myself such as E brake, tail lamps, struts for hood and trunk(doors are not done yet_expecting painful replacement), cabin filter, air filter, door & dashboard rattling, SRS reset, etc.
Still long list left to fix though.

The problem I'd like to ask you is about the door lock/wing mirror.

1) If I use the key fob, SOMETIMES the car doesn't lock, I had to press the lock/unlock button several times to make it work. (When every door is closed technically), What is the problem? Possible to DIY?
Also tried to lock the car with the key manually, the car locks BUT I could not pull out the key it got stuck and I had to pull it NICELY while rotating a bit gently. Any thought?

2) In the same case as (1) when I press the lock button, I found out the passenger door shows red light underneath the door(indicating the door is opened) & window DIDN'T go up to the right level(Normally when the door is closed, window goes up a bit, right?) ALTHOUGH it is closed visually. In this case, I had to close/open the passenger door several times until the light goes off and the window goes up. I assume that the door lock sensor(Not sure if there is even) cannot recognize the door is locked since the window doesn't go up. What should I replace? Possible to DIY?

3) I can fold the wing mirrors by pressing both mirror buttons together inside the car, but when I lock the car with the key fob it does NOT fold. Is it possible to let the mirror fold when I lock or is it supposed to be like that?

I hope I don't have to replace the whole door lock mechanism, please let me know if you guys have similar problems I have and fixed the issues above.

Thank you very much in advance. Looking forward to hearing~!!!

Last edited by anasu98; 01-22-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by anasu98
Hi all,
Recently I bought 2007 V8 Vantage and have been trying to fix little issues myself such as E brake, tail lamps, struts for hood and trunk(doors are not done yet_expecting painful replacement), cabin filter, air filter, door & dashboard rattling, SRS reset, etc.
Still long list left to fix though.

The problem I'd like to ask you is about the door lock/wing mirror.

1) If I use the key fob, SOMETIMES the car doesn't lock, I had to press the lock/unlock button several times to make it work. (When every door is closed technically), What is the problem? Possible to DIY?
Also tried to lock the car with the key manually, the car locks BUT I could not pull out the key it got stuck and I had to pull it NICELY while rotating a bit gently. Any thought?

2) In the same case as (1) when I press the lock button, I found out the passenger door shows red light underneath the door(indicating the door is opened) & window DIDN'T go up to the right level(Normally when the door is closed, window goes up a bit, right?) ALTHOUGH it is closed visually. In this case, I had to close/open the passenger door several times until the light goes off and the window goes up. I assume that the door lock sensor(Not sure if there is even) cannot recognize the door is locked since the window doesn't go up. What should I replace? Possible to DIY?

3) I can fold the wing mirrors by pressing both mirror buttons together inside the car, but when I lock the car with the key fob it does NOT fold. Is it possible to let the mirror fold when I lock or is it supposed to be like that?

I hope I don't have to replace the whole door lock mechanism, please let me know if you guys have similar problems I have and fixed the issues above.

Thank you very much in advance. Looking forward to hearing~!!!
i had this issue.. though, i didnt even know the mirrors would fold when locking.. anyway, it was the door window computers. one on each side. both need to be replaced, even if one is bad. you get the updated software and then everything will work. i do all myself too, but this one seemed to be a little messy with taking the doors apart. so, i had the dealer do it. about $1500 but, it has been the only real expense ive had over 5 years!

Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
The dumbest chap on the board here - hello.

1. What is the distance of the fob from the car when having issues with the signal? I’ve found at least with my crystal key fob it’s signal range isn’t that great - even after a new battery. (Compared to regular car key fobs). I do find my head acts as a great transponder signal booster - as well as a fantastic method of illiciting odd stares in the car park.

3. Have you checked the car settings to see if the mirror folding is something you enable when the car is locked? I believe it’s a setting in the DB9.

Someone else much smarter should provide better insight shortly.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by XWCGT
i had this issue.. though, i didnt even know the mirrors would fold when locking.. anyway, it was the door window computers. one on each side. both need to be replaced, even if one is bad. you get the updated software and then everything will work. i do all myself too, but this one seemed to be a little messy with taking the doors apart. so, i had the dealer do it. about $1500 but, it has been the only real expense ive had over 5 years!
Thank you very much for your answer.
If I take it to the dealer do it, the (1),(2) problems would be fixed by only replacing the door window computers?
Taking doors apart is what I can try since I did it when I fixed rattling. (Might be even more difficult to replace the door window computer though)
Since I have owned this car only for 2months I have to be careful to spend real expense at the dealer.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by astonChap
The dumbest chap on the board here - hello.

1. What is the distance of the fob from the car when having issues with the signal? I’ve found at least with my crystal key fob it’s signal range isn’t that great - even after a new battery. (Compared to regular car key fobs). I do find my head acts as a great transponder signal booster - as well as a fantastic method of illiciting odd stares in the car park.

3. Have you checked the car settings to see if the mirror folding is something you enable when the car is locked? I believe it’s a setting in the DB9.

Someone else much smarter should provide better insight shortly.
I have never locked it with fob from longer than 1meter since I had to go around to the passenger door if it is locked or not.

I have checked the car settings but there was no mirror folding option.

Thank you for your answer.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Lube your lock cylinders, light oil small amount. Then make sure both barrels lock/unlock freely so the spring tension returns the key to center position. Then try the power door locks. Take it to a dealer and have them enable exterior mirror fold on lock with their computer, it's the only way. If the battery is disconnected it loses the memory of that feature.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Lube your lock cylinders, light oil small amount. Then make sure both barrels lock/unlock freely so the spring tension returns the key to center position. Then try the power door locks. Take it to a dealer and have them enable exterior mirror fold on lock with their computer, it's the only way. If the battery is disconnected it loses the memory of that feature.
Thank you for your answer.
If I take it to a dealer for them to enable exterior mirror fold on lock, do you know how much they charge for that?
Also, do I have to do that every time I disconnect the battery?

Old 01-22-2019, 07:56 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Could be free, could be $100 call them and ask. It will loose this feature every time the battery is disconnected!

Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Could be free, could be $100 call them and ask. It will loose this feature every time the battery is disconnected!
Thanks a lot~!!