6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Ctek battery tender with cig adapter (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/428334-ctek-battery-tender-cig-adapter.html)

lovingit 01-27-2019 01:32 AM

Ctek battery tender with cig adapter

So I’m debating between the ctek 56-959 (8 step) vs the ctek 56-158 (4 step). Not really sure the difference but I just need a basic plug and play for the car that is in the garage. There are also two cig adapters.

CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger
CTEK (56-959) MUS 4.3 TEST&CHARGE 12 Volt Fully Automatic Charger and Tester
CTEK (56-263) Comfort Connect Cig Plug
CTEK (56-870) Comfort Indicator Cig Plug
I’m not sure if the battery indicator on the cig adapter is necessary because I believe on the ctek unit itself, it tells you the charging progress.

Do you plug in one side of the ctek to a 120v wall outlet in the garage and connect the other side of the ctek to the comfort cig plug that then plugs into the 12v plug-in located in the trunk?

Do you need extension cord or is the ctek cord long enough to get to the wall outlet?

Does that 12v plug-in connect directly to the car battery that’s behind the passenger seat?

J doubleU 01-27-2019 06:54 AM

Just get the basic 4-step #3300 and the 12v adapter $10 one. The cord is fairly long, not knowing where your outlets are in the garage? Back the car in to use the rear 12v port. CTEK only has one connection to adapt. Direct to battery (supplied with unit) or the 12v power point connector. You can't make multiple connections at the same time.

NoRush 01-27-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by lovingit (Post 4762973)
So I’m debating between the ctek 56-959 (8 step) vs the ctek 56-158 (4 step). Not really sure the difference but I just need a basic plug and play for the car that is in the garage. There are also two cig adapters.

CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQBWCY..._rWwtCbG0CDS51

CTEK (56-959) MUS 4.3 TEST&CHARGE 12 Volt Fully Automatic Charger and Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GODGN9E..._SWwtCbQBY8ZGF

CTEK (56-263) Comfort Connect Cig Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LA5O8..._nRwtCbX8FSD7Y

CTEK (56-870) Comfort Indicator Cig Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K2QX0U..._SRwtCb8GEA40F

I’m not sure if the battery indicator on the cig adapter is necessary because I believe on the ctek unit itself, it tells you the charging progress.

Do you plug in one side of the ctek to a 120v wall outlet in the garage and connect the other side of the ctek to the comfort cig plug that then plugs into the 12v plug-in located in the trunk?

Do you need extension cord or is the ctek cord long enough to get to the wall outlet?

Does that 12v plug-in connect directly to the car battery that’s behind the passenger seat?

The plug can change based on the year of your AM. So make sure you get the right one to match up.
If you have questions, reach out to the guys at Woody's Custom Shop or read thru their site.

I did see that there is now a new 8 step 5.0 CTEK available. I went with the previous 8 step 4.3 as everything I read implied the 4 step charger was really just a battery maintainer and the 8 step was both a charger and maintainer that had the ability to bring back the battery if needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CTEK-MX...4AAOSwIQdZOFFj

lovingit 01-27-2019 09:44 AM

I have a 2013 v8 Vantage. There is a 12v cigarette plug-in that’s located in the trunk on the right side of the rear. Is the 12v plug-in socket “live” when the car is off? Meaning, does it charge the battery (is it connected directly to the battery) directly when you plug the ctek using the cig adapter automatically?

lovingit 01-27-2019 09:57 AM

The 40-206 MSX 5.0 is actually cheaper and newer than the 56-959 MUS 4.3?

It actually would be good to have a maintainer and a charger in case the battery gets old and needs to be brought back to life. Even though I heard once batteries start dying, you can’t really charge them back since they don’t hold a charge that well.

CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger
CTEK (56-959) MUS 4.3 TEST&CHARGE 12 Volt Fully Automatic Charger and Tester
There is also this one but I have no idea if it’s good but it’s the priciest one out of the three models.

CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger

J doubleU 01-27-2019 10:40 AM

Schumacher makes a line of maintainers with wifi and app to monitor your battery.
Schulink enabled.

mto 01-27-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by lovingit (Post 4763004)
I have a 2013 v8 Vantage. There is a 12v cigarette plug-in that’s located in the trunk on the right side of the rear. Is the 12v plug-in socket “live” when the car is off? Meaning, does it charge the battery (is it connected directly to the battery) directly when you plug the ctek using the cig adapter automatically?

Yes. It’s live all the time. Where I place mine - boot plug.

Can be be a little touchy if adapter becomes slightly ajar - like you touching cable, it will lose its connection. Best to check the maintainer pretty regularly to ensure connection.

J doubleU 01-27-2019 01:19 PM

All of these questions are in the owners book.

BMW-North 01-28-2019 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by lovingit (Post 4763004)

That's exactly where my CTEK 3300 is plugged in - using the CTEK supplied adapter - charges the battery perfectly - you can even close the boot lid as the rubber seal will absorb the cable. I have enough slack in the cable that my car cover fits over and the cable is coming out underneath to the charger.

lovingit 02-01-2019 06:50 PM

I tested the 12v cigarette plug inside the trunk today using a phone charger. I could not get it to stay live. It would turn on and turn off. I tried rotating it and pulling it halfway, pushing it all the way in, etc but nothing worked. I checked the wires behind it and it looks clean. Nothing looks damaged. Anyone have this problem?

mto 02-01-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by lovingit (Post 4764057)
I tested the 12v cigarette plug inside the trunk today using a phone charger. I could not get it to stay live. It would turn on and turn off. I tried rotating it and pulling it halfway, pushing it all the way in, etc but nothing worked. I checked the wires behind it and it looks clean. Nothing looks damaged. Anyone have this problem?

Check inside the boot cig receptacle. There may be debris or you cracked the tip of the CTEK. If all else fails, buy new CTEK cig adapter, or first try inside cig lighter. Or even connect direct to battery.

lovingit 02-01-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by mto (Post 4764060)

Check inside the boot cig receptacle. There may be debris or you cracked the tip of the CTEK. If all else fails, buy new CTEK cig adapter, or first try inside cig lighter. Or even connect direct to battery.

I was actually testing it with a phone charger. No cracks or debris. Is this common to have on and off connection?

mto 02-01-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by lovingit (Post 4764061)
I was actually testing it with a phone charger. No cracks or debris. Is this common to have on and off connection?

Not for me There is a little ball bearing in the center of connector. If may not be centered properly. Or this plastic holding it is cracked. Try the console cig lighter.

lovingit 02-01-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mto (Post 4764062)

Not for me There is a little ball bearing in the center of connector. If may not be centered properly. Or this plastic holding it is cracked. Try the console cig lighter.

Unfortunately, console cig lighter is doing the same.

I probably have to connect directly to the battery behind the passenger seat. For those that connect, to the battery directly, do you leave your passenger window down or do you just leave the door ajar?

englishmatt 02-02-2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by lovingit (Post 4764063)

Unfortunately, console cig lighter is doing the same.

I probably have to connect directly to the battery behind the passenger seat. For those that connect, to the battery directly, do you leave your passenger window down or do you just leave the door ajar?

If it was me and I had to do the direct battery thing, I would connect the battery directly and leave the dongle poking out a little from the battery cover/deck. Then purchase the ctek cable extension, connect to the dongle sticking out behind your passenger seat and then run the cable over the parcel shelf and still through the truck lid/seal. When you want to drive, just unplug the cable from ctek and and put the extension in the boot. End of story. Aint no way I'd be leaving the windows cracked the dust, pollen and general **** in the air in my garage (I have older motorcycles that share the space and don't seem to care about "clean air" when I fire them up.

That said, your electrical issue is a weird one. Like others in this thread, my ctek is plugged in via the rear boot 12v cig and is just fine.