6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Buying a V12 Vantage (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/428693-buying-v12-vantage.html)

ssaa77 02-10-2019 10:55 AM

Buying a V12 Vantage

Looking to pull the trigger on a V12 Vantage. Had a V8 Vantage before and test drove the V12 once a few years back. Should have bought it, but wasn't the right time. Any advice from existing/past owners on what to watch out for and what must-have options I should look for?

Prefurbia 02-10-2019 02:16 PM

I went from a V8 (actually had a 2007 6 speed, a 2009 Sportshift and a 2015 GT Sportshift) to a V12S.
I found the V8's a bit more enjoyable to drive in everyday traffic, and the GT sounded great on the inside. Part of the 'enjoyment' part is that you can drive the V8's a bit aggressively without the tires breaking loose. The V12S drive it the same way and its constant war between traction control and power, to me a bit irritating if I want to hear that engine sound. The handling is different from the extra weight. That's the negative. The first thing you'll notice that the car seems like a bit more attention to detail and quality seems a bit better in the V12S - maybe because i went from the GT which standard leather is a bit lower grade than an 'S', but the V12S just seems here and there it's more polished.

The carbon brakes I had not realized were sooo much better till I switched cars with a V8 on a ride - then I noticed a big difference. The carbon brakes means being extremely careful on cleaning the car because they can be destroyed so easily. The ride is better and the ability to control the suspension much better. The sportshift III is great compared to earlier versions.

The current pricing on a V12S is incredibly low especially considering some V8' of same 2015 year are as much!

The first V12S I bought was a deceptive sale - a Timeless Certified car that was not disclosed that most of it's 22,000 miles had been tracked. Aston caught in the deception traded me with an 8,000 mile local one owner car serviced locally. Lesson - Timeless Certified means buyer beware, so don't ask - demand to have a guarantee that it was not a press, corporate, or tracked car. That said, a V12S could be previously owned by someone who beat the crap out of the car - like any exotic used, buyer beware. The more you know about past ownership and service records, the better off you will be. My original car in the past two years has has both headlights fail, a new engine, just about every computer, two new clutches, the knob electronic section of the dash replaced.

My current V12S (the replacement) has zero issues in the past 18 months I've owned it - absolutely nothing.

You will pay more for insurance, and if driving it semi aggressively like most Aston owners get about 12MPG.

Warranty extensions are just few hundred dollars more than a V8, so no issues there.

The hood vents, and popping the hood open to impress is priceless. Compare that to the sea of plastic on the new V8 at twice the price.

I find it a lot more 'special' than the V8, even though I had more fun in some ways driving my past V8's - no regrets on the V12S. Given a choice of a new DB11 or the new Vantage, I think my V12S is light years better than both in every way. You can get a V12S for half the price of the new Vantage - I'm surprised most are on the market for a while before selling.

Lastly if you are going to keep the car a while its more likely to be a collector and have high prices.

ssaa77 02-10-2019 02:55 PM

Thanks for the wealth of information. I've seen your replies on other threads - appreciate the passion you have for the Vantage!

I'm looking more specifically for a 2011 or 2012 V12 Vantage (non-S) in manual. It is interesting that you brought up the V12VS option though as it is one that I have been considering. I don't think the SSIII transmission is as bad as the media reviews, but it is a bit "lurch-y" and the auto is really a guessing game on when it'll shift. I could get used to it quickly but your point about usability is valid - I found myself north of 100mph just trying to find the redline and hear the engine.

So my preference is a 2011 or 2012 V12 Vantage manual, but will consider the V12VS with sportshift since they are pretty much priced the same. A lot of 2015 V12VS examples coming back on lease returns and I've seen then trading hands as low as low $90s. To your point, that's a hellavu lot of car for 90 large. There's always the 2017 V12VS dogleg, but it's a lot more money and they are too hard to find.

Prefurbia 02-10-2019 03:36 PM

Of the 4 Vantages I've had with a Sportshift the D button had never been pressed - it's not a car you want to ever use in Auto mode. The early Sportshifts operation of the clutch was not bad, the one in the V12S better. I wish the car did not have a D and people would be properly trained on how the car was intended to be driven, then it would have been appreciated more. Mine's not lurchy. You have to wait for the clutch 'kiss' procedure before putting it in gear, without that wait it's quirky. The later Sportshifts indicate the procedure is done, on the early ones I just waited about 10 seconds.

spinecho 02-10-2019 04:31 PM

^^^ Prefurbia has covered much of the difference between the V12V and the S.

Although not as powerful, the original 6 sp is a more visceral car, with less ability to put down the torque (its non-adjustable suspension is roughly equivalent to, or slightly firmer than the sport setting in the S), and heavier steering with a slightly slower rack. And, of course, a manual.

In terms of "must have" options, I can't really think of any. The limited options list was mostly cosmetic; there is no power pack, uprated sports suspension, uprated braking or any other option making a meaningful performance difference, so it's all about finding a car with the trim and colour combination that you like. Plenty has been written on this forum about the B&O versus premium (Alpine) stereo; just do a search. IMO the B&O isn't worth the money new, but used it shouldn't be as much of a pricing factor. FWIW I think the Premium sounds better (and it was a lot cheaper, go figure).

I won't say much about SSIII; it's been covered in so much detail and you either like it or you don't. IMO you should look at it like a manual without a clutch pedal - if that appeals to you, great. If you expect it to behave like a torque converter or a dual clutch, forget about it.

ssaa77 02-10-2019 05:10 PM

Yep - don't want to create another SSIII thread. I don't hate it, but would love to get a manual if a clean example presents itself. It's my first preference. Otherwise, I like the V12VS option with SSIII. There are many popping up as lease returns, so you can be patient for the right spec. Appreciate the input guys.

And yeah, i'm just a geek for rising tweeters :-) - the Alpine system isn't a deal breaker for me.

3rdpedalrequired 02-10-2019 09:29 PM

Here’s a beautiful V12V in a 6 speed:

https://www.themarkmotors.com/vehicl...tx-id-27372765

ssaa77 02-10-2019 10:13 PM

Saw that one but mileage is so low I’d fee guilt pricing and the price reflects that. This was also a corporate car, so worried it might have been a press car.

V12Vin 02-11-2019 02:09 AM

Definitely get a manual V12 regardless 2011/12 or 2017. I was tempted with the V12S SIII but got a dogleg instead.

​​​​​​There's something magical about rowing through the gears with a voluptuous V12.

Ron Avery 02-11-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ssaa77 (Post 4765605)
Saw that one but mileage is so low I’d fee guilt pricing and the price reflects that. This was also a corporate car, so worried it might have been a press car.

I would not worry about a low milage car, if it checks out. The dealer or Aston Martin will tell you if it was a press car. My 2016 Vantage GT was the east coast press car, then shipped out to the west coast, and sold through Galpin Aston Martin.
There are different types of press cars, the Road test cars, and like mine, the Auto show press cars.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...6c628b733f.jpg
It had 2800 miles on it when I purchased it. I was able to negotiate a full three year factory warranty. Even though the car was a year old.
Like others have said, the manual is such a sweet way to go. in my option. good luck with your search. If you like a black Vantage , then the one in the link in the other post is what I would go for, what a fresh still new looking car. I would go look at it in person and drive it. and get it checked out.
'Ron

3rdpedalrequired 02-11-2019 09:07 AM

I live very close to Mark Motors so if you want me to view it in person for you, I'm happy to do so. It's a matter of personal preference, but I do wish that car carried the yellow calipers over to the inside with yellow stitching, etc. But, it's beautiful nonetheless.

Ron Avery 02-11-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 3rdpedalrequired (Post 4765626)
I live very close to Mark Motors so if you want me to view it in person for you, I'm happy to do so. It's a matter of personal preference, but I do wish that car carried the yellow calipers over to the inside with yellow stitching, etc. But, it's beautiful nonetheless.

That is what my GT has, he could just get the steering wheel and floor matts done, to adda bit of color.
Ron
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...cd7067beeb.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...3ebd117334.jpg

Prefurbia 02-11-2019 01:17 PM

Aloro green is a great color

ssaa77 02-12-2019 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the input and help! A few folks have reached out based on this post, so thinking I might have good lines on a few from private owners. Hopefully, I’ll be driving one of these beasts soon!

Prefurbia 02-13-2019 10:43 AM

A few thoughts. My 13,000 mile still under warranty V12S with zero issues, no accidents, never abused, showroom condition V12S would get $80K on a trade on another Aston Martin, and you know the dealer would turn around the next day to market the car between $105K and $110K. Assuming the V12S's on the market are bought at similar $ - you can probably get a very nice 2015 V12S for under $90K, or at least a Certified V12S below $100K with a few years extra warranty and shipping thrown in. Thats V8 vantage 2014-2016 Vantage S or GT pricing! Yes you'd have the SportShift, but if used as intended is a nice involving thing.