Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Winter Storage....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:43 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Winter Storage....

Hi all-

I hope those in the North East are enjoying their winter period. I'm not sure how others are making out, but I'm getting "loopy" just watching my Aston sitting there as I wait out the cold season.

I have one question, for those who store their cars over the winter, do you start occasional start the car as a precautionary measure? I haven't started mine since I put it on the trickle charger.

Regards
TAC

Last edited by terminal_ac; 02-18-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Hi all-

I hope those in the North East are enjoying there winter period. I'm not sure how others are making out, but I'm getting "loopy" just watching my Aston sitting there as I wait out the cold season.

I have one question, for those who store their cars over the winter, do you start occasional start the car as a precautionary measure? I haven't started mine since I put it on the trickle charger.

Regards
TAC
TAC,
Not sure how your car is stored. I am in the freezing northeast with my Aston sealed inside a car bag in my garage all winter. I do have a battery tender connected to the car battery but I wait until spring to start the car. The procedure at that time is to push the throttle fully to the floor and push the start button to crank the engine until you get oil pressure. With the throttle fully depressed, the engine will turn over but will not start. This pre-oils the engine. Once oil pressure is up, take your foot off the the throttle and then start it normally. (See the owner's manual). I think more harm can come from periodic restarting of a cold dry engine over the winter.

On my E-Type Jag, I pull the spark plugs in the spring and add oil into the spark plug holes before cranking it with the ignition disabled. Once I get oil pressure, I add ignition and start the car. Same idea.

Long term storage allows the engine to drain down the oil that would ordinarily remain on the bearings and cylinder walls. The spring startup procedure re-oils these surfaces before starting the engine.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly what Jagman70 said for me

Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 AM
zypher84 is on a distinguished road
couldn't wait any longer.... i have my car hooked up to a trickle charger, and occasionally just start it in the garage (maybe drive it around the block on a good day)

took it to be detailed as soon as the weather got nice last week (before it snowed) and then got it back this weekend. took a few days but 3x ceramic coating, a full detail, and she's ready for some spring driving!

Old 02-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I have an office warehouse and the Aston's (I've had 8 over the past 30 years) sits next to my desk. Over the winters I have them under storage insurance which saves me a ton over the winters. Until recently I'd start the cars on occasion, and the rare Minnesota winter days when the roads are dry and not covered with chemicals I'd take a short drive around the block. Now I don't start till spring. Question, the hold the pedal to the floor to prime the oil - that works for the V12S?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
It only works with a Ford ECU. Pretty sure V12S uses Bosch engine management.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yvr
It only works with a Ford ECU. Pretty sure V12S uses Bosch engine management.
I will defer to YVR on V12s. You certainly don't want to fully rev a cold dry engine. The procedure for my 09 V8 is in the owner's manual.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:46 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I used to remove the fuel pump fuse.
But it really doesn’t matter as oil does not get all through the engine. Now, just start after long storage, idle a bit before slow driving as it gets to op temp.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I drive it during the winter... it's not a garage queen. I just don't take it out on salty roads.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
You definitely don't have the same winter condition as me up north...

Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
The winters are new for me! I just moved from Seattle area to Cleveland... it is sad to see it just sitting in the garage while my other cars are covered in salt. Can't wait for spring! I did use the proceedure as stated above with pushing the throttle to the floor to get oil pressure after 30 days of sitting. I was curious about the same thing, if its better to start occassionally and take a short drive, or just let it sit on the batt tender for 5 months...

Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Hi all-

I hope those in the North East are enjoying their winter period. I'm not sure how others are making out, but I'm getting "loopy" just watching my Aston sitting there as I wait out the cold season.

Regards
TAC
I daily drive mine... lol today was quite the adventure, roads were basically a sheet of ice...

Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BDubbs
The winters are new for me! I just moved from Seattle area to Cleveland... it is sad to see it just sitting in the garage while my other cars are covered in salt. Can't wait for spring! I did use the proceedure as stated above with pushing the throttle to the floor to get oil pressure after 30 days of sitting. I was curious about the same thing, if its better to start occassionally and take a short drive, or just let it sit on the batt tender for 5 months...
I let mine sit after oil change and brake fluid flush for months. It is probably best to drive for 30 minutes getting to full operating temp and then put back in storage. But we're talking in a "coffee conversation" minor degrees of what's best, imo. Never start, let idle, as never get to operating temp and may cause unnecessary condensation inside the engine.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Pretty sure myself and Handyman can attest quite well to winter storage seeing as our cars are many months in storage .
All my cars are in the shop with heat set for 40f setpoint . I only turn it up if I go in there to tinker with something .
My cars get parked as soon as the weather turns to snow . Usually early November ish .
They all get cleaned top to bottom , detailed , oil changed etc and any other work I deem required by how much I drove them in the summer .
Trickle chargers(battery conditioner) on , car covers on and thats it see you in the spring . No tire over pressurizing or those flat spot thingys you see advertized .
When I start them in the spring they get left to idle for maybe 10mins while I check the tire pressures etc before being carefully and calmy driven for the first trip out to ease there joints etc .
Once they reach full operating temp they get driven like ya stole em

Last edited by Vantagelvr; 02-19-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
You may want to put rat/mouse poison. Mice love to hid and chew. They also want a nice safe place to go to for the winter. Traps are nice but unless you are where the car is stored to reset the traps daily traps aren't the best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage....