Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Dash material

Old 03-07-2019, 01:12 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Dash material

Does anyone know if part 13 (dash) is plastic or is it painted black?
I've asked this question to the parts managers at a couple of dealers and no one knows.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:43 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
From memory I think it is black plastic not painted

Old 03-08-2019, 08:27 AM
I’ve still been unable to get the tint shop owner to pay for a replacement part for the dash he scratched upon installing the tint. To replace, AM Newport Beach quoted $4500. $1700 for the part and $2800 for labor. This has been going on unresolved since Dec 2018.

He wants to repaint it. I want a replacement. I don’t know why he is wanting to repaint a plastic piece other than the fact that Galpin AM told him that owners who have scratched their dash have gone the repair route before. Problem is, we cannot find any certified AM body shops in southern CA that are willing to take the job because no one wants to deal with removing and reinstalling the windshield. AM told me the windshield has a 70% chance of breaking upon removal and it’s a $4000 replacement. No one wants that liability. Tint shop owner doesn’t feel like it’s his responsibility for the windshield. He wants to cut me a check for $1200 which is the quote he received from European Motor Cars to repaint the dash. Unfortunately, this shop is singing a different tune and doesn’t want to take the job due to the windshield liability. I feel that a $1200 payout is unacceptable because I can’t do anything with that. Hiring an attorney would probably cost more than $4500 to replace it. We are at an impasse. What would you guys do?

Last edited by lovingit; 03-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lovingit
I’ve still been unable to get the tint shop owner to pay for a replacement part for the dash he scratched upon installing the tint. To replace, AM Newport Beach quoted $4500. $1700 for the part and $2800 for labor. This has been going on unresolved since Dec 2018.

He wants to repaint it. I want a replacement. I don’t know why he is wanting to repaint a plastic piece other than the fact that Galpin AM told him that owners who have scratched their dash have gone the repair route before. Problem is, we cannot find any certified AM body shops in southern CA that are willing to take the job because no one wants to deal with removing and reinstalling the windshield. AM told me the windshield has a 70% chance of breaking upon removal and it’s a $4000 replacement. No one wants that liability. Tint shop owner doesn’t feel like it’s his responsibility for the windshield. He wants to cut me a check for $1200 which is the quote he received from European Motor Cars to repaint the dash. Unfortunately, this shop is singing a different tune and doesn’t want to take the job due to the windshield liability. I feel that a $1200 payout is unacceptable because I can’t do anything with that. Hiring an attorney would probably cost more than $4500 to replace it. We are at an impasse. What would you guys do?
how about a picture of the scratches

Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM

They are a little hard to see but they are there.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:35 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I'd take $1,200 and buy a nice bottle of single malt scotch and nice dinner and forget about scratches and enjoy my car

Old 03-08-2019, 09:42 AM
Would you not want $4500 to replace it? Would you actually settle for $1200? Why?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
The question is how do they scratch that trim if they tinted your windows?? they didn't tint your windshield ??

Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 AM
They tinted the entire car including the windshield. They didn’t do it right the first time so they removed the windshield tint. They scratched the dash upon removal of the windshield tint. The area up there is pretty tight.

No, I guess I’m just pretty upset because to me, I paid him a lot of money to do a job and they ended up scratching my car. And they don’t want to replace it. They want to repaint it but they don’t want to be liable for the windshield and none of the body shops want to be liable for the windshield removal either so I’m kind of stuck. Why would you paint a plastic part?

Last edited by lovingit; 03-08-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:22 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MRCW
I'd take $1,200 and buy a nice bottle of single malt scotch and nice dinner and forget about scratches and enjoy my car
+1

And some cigars.

OP, take the bloody $1,200. Sell this car. Get another. Problem solved.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:17 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
If you have the time, I'd take him to small claim court. Most likely you'll will win the case, because you have estimate to replace that damage piece. Or tell him to give you half of the $4500 and forget about the court. Go to art store, get a nice little brush & plastic paint to match, touch it up & drive the freaking car.... And yes, to all drinking & smoking.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:31 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
You are between a rock and a hard place.
Small claims court is probably your only alternative. That said I believe there is a limit on how much you can sue for in that court.
I wish I had an answer for you. As others have said, you might have to take the 1200 and figure some way to hide the scratches.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by embdenb
You are between a rock and a hard place.
Small claims court is probably your only alternative. That said I believe there is a limit on how much you can sue for in that court.
I wish I had an answer for you. As others have said, you might have to take the 1200 and figure some way to hide the scratches.
This is what I don’t understand. I’ve talk to someone who works at a body shop and he said that the windshield should not be an issue. All the tint shop owner has to do, instead of calling around trying to get different quotes, is to call the autobody shop of my choice, given them his open claim number and they’ll work it into the deal. All he has to do is pay his deductible, so it shouldn’t matter if it’s $4500 or $1200. Replacement should cost the same as repainting it with the windshield liability, when it’s all said and done.

Last edited by lovingit; 03-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by lovingit

This is what I don’t understand. I’ve talk to someone who works at a body shop and he said that the windshield should not be an issue. All the tint shop owner has to do, instead of calling around trying to get different quotes, is to call the autobody shop of my choice, given them his open claim number and they’ll work it into the deal. All he has to do is pay his deductible, so it shouldn’t matter if it’s $4500 or $1200. Replacement should cost the same as repainting it with the windshield liability, when it’s all said and done.
Wow... Are you a small business owner? ever? Its not so simple to just "pay a deductible" for something minor like this... Likely his deductible is at least $1,000 or even $5,000... it's not like car insurance. As a small business owner myself, Often you pay out of pocket to avoid dealing with insurance company because it's such a PITA

Besides, it is so not noticeable...As you noted, its bearly visible in your pictures

Sure, you know its there, his fault, yada yada yada but really, Your going to take a guy to court over this? I think its classless. My opinion, of course

Old 03-08-2019, 04:14 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I know it looks worse than the photos show, but yes this is a tough situation to be in. I had my old Lexus messed up a few times by tint shops (they cut the rubber strips!) and was lucky to get new door panel strips put in but it was never the same.

I would just sell the car

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dash material