6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Would you ever bring your Vantage to a regular shop? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/429472-would-you-ever-bring-your-vantage-regular-shop.html)

MrRobot 03-08-2019 03:39 PM

Would you ever bring your Vantage to a regular shop?

I know Astons have fairly specific smaller jack/lift points. I don't imagine many shops have small plugs or even hockey pucks to use. Do you ever trust a regular shop to do something like a state inspection on your car? I'm curious how bad the damage would be from a standard lift pad at a shop if they need to lift it.

I have a state inspection coming up this weekend and trying to figure out if I should risk a nearby shop lifting the car up, or if I need to make a trek to a dealer to get it done. Do you guys ever go to a regular shop for the small stuff?

Yorick 03-08-2019 04:05 PM

I bought a set of jacking pads from VelocityAP and keep them in the boot.
I've owned my 2009 V8V for over 6 years now. I live in a small town and found a very competent mechanic who can do everything other than more complex jobs like a clutch replacement. I've only taken the car to a dealer once in western Canada. I talked with the service manager and in a space of 5 minutes he lied to me 3 times about maintenance. I've never done business with them again and never will in the future. Finding a good mechanic is a godsend regardless of what brand of car you own. Dealer service departments should be avoided whenever at all possible.

rohnin 03-08-2019 04:16 PM

I have a brand new set of Velocity AP jack pads I’ll probably never use...

MrRobot 03-08-2019 04:38 PM

I'll pm you about them ;)

Mathman85 03-08-2019 05:30 PM

Fun fact: you can still safely lift the car without the jack pads...

SheriffDep 03-08-2019 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mathman85 (Post 4770504)
Fun fact: you can still safely lift the car without the jack pads...

I have a set of Jack Pads for my DB9. I also have a QuickJack. Its been on the QJ for 4 weeks now without the jack pads. I use the rubber blocks and just align those where the holes are for the jack pads. Many others on here do the same.

Most shops have some sort of rubber blocks they can use or the tops of lift points are rubber. If those are aligned directly under the holes for jacking your fine. But the JP's definitely help.

In NY, do they have to lift it??? Not seen that done before for State Inspections.

DonRW2007 03-09-2019 06:47 PM

Some of you may think I’m nuts, but I’ve actually had minor maintenance on my V8V (balance/install tires, state inspection, etc.) performed at my local Meineke dealer... The owner’s son, Matt, has been working on (and loving) cars since the days of carburetors. I personally watched him take 30 minutes to reason out how to lift the car safely (and no, I didn’t pay labor for this). He may not be an AM certified mechanic, but he knows his trade, and his limitations with specialty cars.

I’ve had him do similar maintenance on a Maserati Spyder, and he’s currently refurbishing the entire suspension on my 75 Bricklin (AMC stuff I know, but how many mechanics have serviced a 70’s Gremlin lately)?

I still take my cars to a local trusted Indy shop for anything out of the norm. But it’s nice to have a shop and trusted mechanic for “everyday” maintenance I can’t (or don’t want to) deal with myself.

Now, if I had a lift...

DRW

Argus 03-09-2019 07:35 PM

There was a post a number of months ago about this topic. The guy was getting tires put on and the place did something to the frame that totaled/damaged the car. He was fighting with the insurance over diminished value. Just a FYI.

DonRW2007 03-09-2019 07:42 PM

Understood. Let the buyer beware...

I happened to find and form a relationship with a mechanic I trust. Probably wouldn’t let him replace the clutch, or even the oil...

SheriffDep 03-09-2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Argus (Post 4770631)
There was a post a number of months ago about this topic. The guy was getting tires put on and the place did something to the frame that totaled/damaged the car. He was fighting with the insurance over diminished value. Just a FYI.

Yes there was, but link the thread or give total info so it does'nt cause someone to make decisions on non complete information.

1. Firestone was the place. The manager was a friend of the owner.
2. The tire guys jacked one side of the vehicle up ONLY in ONE place. That was the center of the frame rail which is aluminum. So, all that weight dented in the frame rail a tiny bit. But, due to placement of it, Galpin AM could NOT guarantee the safety of the vehicle. Therefore totaled even thought most likely it was just fine. I believe in that thread others mentioned that they have seen similar on other AMs up on racks at dealers. Not that its ok, but that is exactly what happened.

So as long as you know it supposed to be only on those jack points, and you watch the lift guy, everything should be just fine.

I get my oil done at a local shop. I stand there and walk the tech through the process. For 35$ its worth it to not have to deal with the oil. I bring all parts and oil.

Scottiejo 03-10-2019 01:11 PM

A competent mechanic is just that, doesn't matter who they work for. It's an AM but there's not too many proprietary secrets that we cant figure out...except if you need AMDS.
I took my car to Rick (09DBS) and one of the first things he asked was if I had the jacking pucks; I did. His shop does work on a variety of cars but he and his crew chief did a great job researching and even contacting AM with my VIN to find out specific needs of the car. After replacing my clutch with the VAP upgrade he took it to AM for a software update. That is what thorough mechanics do regardless of the logo on the invoice.

Jagman70 03-11-2019 04:18 PM

I have routine annual oil/filter changes done on my 09 Vantage at a competent independent shop. I get the oil change package from Repants and keep jack pads (hsm precision) in the boot. I will have the same garage do a gear oil change and brake flush this spring. I'm right there with them when they put the jacks pads in place and raise the car on the lift. I have also done oil/ filter changes myself in the past.
For routine service there is no need to use an Aston dealer. I used them once and found out the following year that the oil filter was put on far too tight and was very difficult to remove. In my view, dealers are fine for things like a clutch change but not necessary for routine maintenance - especially for what they charge. One of the reasons I decided to purchase a Vantage was that it is easy relatively inexpensive to service, Just find a reliable shop to do your work.

brightoncorgi 03-12-2019 06:54 AM

I had Monroe Muffler shop install the decats on my Vantage, but that's been the only non-dealer service I have done. I am not opposed to someone other than the dealer doing work, but Aston experience is few and far between in my locale. Own a Ferrari and you have a ton of indy choices for service. Cars do not go on the lift for Inspection in my state. 50% of the time I have dealer do the inspection. If not the dealer, I use the gas station I buy the most gas from for the Inspection. I double stick tape the front license on and hope my loyal patronage will mitigate the obvious skirting of the front plate mandate (the plate is attached at Inspection time FWIW).

For tires, the dealer meets TireRack prices.

hsm precision 03-12-2019 07:45 AM

Up front disclosure - I make jack pads, so have a somewhat biased view.

I would agree that for many of the cars, a generic rubber adapter can be used. (I've used BMW ones without issue). DB9, earlier V8 coupe, DBS and Vanquish all have large rectangular openings around the jack points that give clearance for whatever adapter is needed (hockey puck, whatever the lift has, etc). Where I really would worry is on the Vantage roadster, Vantage-s and V12 Vantage. The rear pad is very intricate, and with almost all adapter designs, you'd be pushing on the bodywork.

The other advantage of a jack adapter is that it's REALLY obvious where it fits - lifting from the wrong spot is almost impossible if jack adapters are used.

This is an image of a regular Vantage jack point - lots of room.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...85933c957d.jpg
V8V rear jack point

Compare to the roadster jack point.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...5ee07162a.jpeg
V8V roadster rear

Matt

DonRW2007 03-14-2019 07:30 PM

Sold - bought a set today.

DRW