6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Bad smell from exhaust (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/429594-bad-smell-exhaust.html)

captain Greg 03-13-2019 03:46 AM

Bad smell from exhaust

guys when I drive my V8 enthusiastically I get a rotten egg smell wafting through the air when I stop and it is detectable if the wind blows the gasses towards the car.
the car has the factory standard cat's

is this smell normal? My other cars don't give of a bad egg smell

embdenb 03-13-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 4771226)
guys when I drive my V8 enthusiastically I get a rotten egg smell wafting through the air when I stop and it is detectable if the wind blows the gasses towards the car.
the car has the factory standard cat's

is this smell normal? My other cars don't give of a bad egg smell

Typical catalytic exhaust smell usually due to improper air fuel mixture. Has the car been modified in any way?

captain Greg 03-13-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4771238)

Typical catalytic exhaust smell usually due to improper air fuel mixture. Has the car been modified in any way?

no modifications, but it also has not had the air intake removed or cleaned no codes on start up, itbis a bit heavy on fuel.

brightoncorgi 03-13-2019 08:52 AM

Try running some Techron on your next fill up. How old with is the air filter?

blue2000s 03-13-2019 09:52 AM

Hydrogen Sulfide.

-Your cats are on their way out
-The gas you're using has a high sulfur content
-You're engine is running lean or hot

captain Greg 03-13-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4771283)
Hydrogen Sulfide.

-Your cats are on their way out
-The gas you're using has a high sulfur content
-You're engine is running lean or hot

air filters are new, gas is standard 95 petrol no lead ?
can I pull the cats and just remove the honey comb?

blue2000s 03-14-2019 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 4771315)

air filters are new, gas is standard 95 petrol no lead ?
can I pull the cats and just remove the honey comb?

I could be the cats. But they're expensive and are just one possible sources of the problem so I can't tell you to gut them. That's up to you. If it were me, I'd do the non-destructive things first like change gas stations, clean injectors.

captain Greg 03-14-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4771464)
I could be the cats. But they're expensive and are just one possible sources of the problem so I can't tell you to gut them. That's up to you. If it were me, I'd do the non-destructive things first like change gas stations, clean injectors.

I would love to gut them! Can I cut them open and remove all the restrictive material? What will happen with the scensors will it need a resistor or something to stop a code and possibly the motor going into slow mode?

i can even make up a pipe and remove them completely but I'm concerned with codes and software issues, your advise here will be a great help.
will I see a noticeable difffrence in engine performance with out the cats? And will it be lighter on gas?

embdenb 03-14-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 4771466)

I would love to gut them! Can I cut them open and remove all the restrictive material? What will happen with the scensors will it need a resistor or something to stop a code and possibly the motor going into slow mode?

i can even make up a pipe and remove them completely but I'm concerned with codes and software issues, your advise here will be a great help.
will I see a noticeable difffrence in engine performance with out the cats? And will it be lighter on gas?

You can gut the cats. That said the car’s exhaust will be louder and the ecu will probably throw an emission code. I believe at least one oxygen sensor is downstream from the cats.

DonRW2007 03-14-2019 03:39 PM

Options

Consider cat deletes and a tune and you shouldn’t have to worry about throwing codes.

Dalecannavan 03-14-2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4771482)

You can gut the cats. That said the car’s exhaust will be louder and the ecu will probably throw an emission code. I believe at least one oxygen sensor is downstream from the cats.

it depends on the year of the car. The later cars, 2012 on I believe, have secondary cats with no sensor and can easily be removed without a tune as the sensors are in the primary cats.

captain Greg 03-15-2019 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by DonRW2007 (Post 4771547)
Consider cat deletes and a tune and you shouldn’t have to worry about throwing codes.

thank you for this what is a cat delete? Re the tune I live in SA we have no Aston Indy shops and the dealer is most unhelpful and will not offer any assistance other then normal maintenance they will not even sell us parts
in short we have no dealer support and certainly they do not entertain letting a client work or tinker on his car.
if I want to do a tune I will need to do it and I'm not sure what's involved?
Can you add any details here ?

captain Greg 03-15-2019 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by brightoncorgi (Post 4771263)
Try running some Techron on your next fill up. How old with is the air filter?

thanks BC what is Techron? We don't have that product here I could look for a fuel additive if you guide me on what to look for?

Aston40 03-15-2019 05:11 AM

Cut open the cat pipes remove the inside ****!
I installed the sensors again.
Get a cat delete file or just do what I do Every 4 months when the code comes up I delete the code with a OBD2 Reader.
Done. The car still look original underneath.

DonBond 03-16-2019 12:47 PM

From which exhaust? Yours or the car's?