6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   2019 Vantage Brakes very touchy (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/429800-2019-vantage-brakes-very-touchy.html)

diononiz 03-20-2019 09:15 AM

2019 Vantage Brakes very touchy

I am considering the new 2019 Vantage as I really love the way the car looks and am enjoying the drive. Have any of you driven the car and feel the brakes are "grabby" The car I drove is new which got me wondering if there was any way the brakes can be adjusted. Please let me know if any of you have had experience getting the brakes adjusted from the Aston service department.

Thanks

sonies 03-20-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by diononiz (Post 4772501)
I am considering the new 2019 Vantage as I really love the way the car looks and am enjoying the drive. Have any of you driven the car and feel the brakes are "grabby" The car I drove is new which got me wondering if there was any way the brakes can be adjusted. Please let me know if any of you have had experience getting the brakes adjusted from the Aston service department.

Thanks

To be honest after the first 30 seconds of test driving I got used to it

spinecho 03-20-2019 10:56 AM

First off I will say I have not driven the new Vantage.

There are way too many variables at play to address your specific complaint with the brakes, least of all the subjective factor. It would be helpful to know a number of things:

- did the car you drove have cast iron or carbon ceramic brakes?
- did the car you drove have a lot of mileage? If so, how old are the pads?
- independent of mileage, what sort of treatment has the car you drove been subjected to? Harsh use of the brakes on test drives? Gentle use?

As for the brakes being adjustable, there is no such thing. You can clean and service callipers, replace or resurface cast iron discs, replace carbon ceramic discs, and change pads. You can also bed in pads, which is a good idea on any car. But the brakes have no adjustability per se. If the problem is indeed suspected to be intrinsic to the vehicle (not due to improperly maintained or abused brakes) then your best bet is probably to experiment with different pad compounds, but I have no idea if anyone makes them for the new Vantage, and you would have to buy the vehicle having blind faith that this would address your concerns.

V12V 03-20-2019 10:58 AM

2019 Vantage

I am driving the 19 Friday. Will let you know what I think.

diononiz 03-20-2019 11:30 AM

The car had the cast iron brakes.
Car has about 400 miles
Regular test drives so I would guess it is a bit of both.

Thank you for the insight. Coming from a Porsche 911 turbo where you have to really push on the brakes for firm bite, the Aston requires you touch the brakes lightly.
Right now it is difficult to come to a stop without being really "jerky"

spinecho 03-20-2019 01:51 PM

My guess is the pad compound, assuming the new Vantage isn't brake by wire (that can also create the 'grabby' feel - perfect example is the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio). Will be interested to see what V12V has to say, and if anyone else who has driven a new Vantage will weigh in.

Ironic if this is intrinsic to the new model, as the original Gaydon V8V was the exact opposite and could be unnerving to those used to more sensitive brakes. You really had to lean into the pedal but the stopping power was there if you pushed hard enough, and was proportional to the effort. Reputedly, this brake feel was quite deliberately decided on by Chris Porritt (when still at Aston) and Dr. Bez. That was a good thing IMO. I also dislike the modern trend towards brakes that provide disproportionately high deceleration on initial pedal application.

programmatore 03-20-2019 10:59 PM

I have the steel brakes and they are pretty grabby but you get used to it after about several days of seat time. The brakes squeal too. It's the compound they use.

diononiz 03-21-2019 08:19 AM

Thank you for the info. The dealer says they get less grabby after the car has been broken in. Do you feel like the brake feel has changed? Also have you done any investigation into different pads?

I am struggling with coming to a complete stop without my passengers hitting their heads on their knees :)

Jagman70 03-27-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by diononiz (Post 4772663)
Thank you for the info. The dealer says they get less grabby after the car has been broken in. Do you feel like the brake feel has changed? Also have you done any investigation into different pads?

I am struggling with coming to a complete stop without my passengers hitting their heads on their knees :)

I had the opportunity to test drive a new Vantage a couple of weeks ago. I did not experience any issues with the braking and found the 503 HP to be a very nice improvement from my 4.7 Vantage. However, the new styling is just not for me.

FR500GT 03-28-2019 11:19 AM

It feels the same way on the new DBS and Superleggera!

diononiz 03-28-2019 11:36 AM

From what I have heard, it seems the brakes get better over time (slightly) but most drivers seem to get used to the brakes.

Michael_s 03-28-2019 12:48 PM

They are definitely a bit grabby. Plus it takes off with just a little gas. But I love the car. Well I love my loaner mines not running :(

Gene G 03-28-2019 01:59 PM

I have a DB11 and I find that the brakes are a bit grabby. I suppose that it was the only car I drive I would get used to them. Having several cars it takes a few miles of driving to get used to it. I still find my 2008 Vantage to be one of the best driving and looking cars.

ncamv8 03-28-2019 08:04 PM

I find the brakes grabbing at very low speed. Trying to creep in traffic, for example.
Once underway they very progressive and linear. I have the cast iron rotors.

Mine now had about 5k miles and they only marginally changed over that time. I agree with the others you adapt to the car rather than the other way around.

popspin 04-02-2019 03:05 PM

Yes! The brakes are grabby. Tough to be smooth in stop and go traffic but it can be done. Much different feel than my 911 had. But really great under all other conditions.
Squealing went away by 500 miles. The brake grabbing also eases up a bit with some miles but not as much as I’d like. I would think a software change could address this.
popspin