6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   DBS- power pack upgrade headers/ cats with quicksilver exhaust— too loud, advice? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/430494-dbs-power-pack-upgrade-headers-cats-quicksilver-exhaust-too-loud-advice.html)

Liilpa09 04-12-2019 12:42 PM

DBS- power pack upgrade headers/ cats with quicksilver exhaust— too loud, advice?

Got my DBS back today. Great work by Steel Wings shop getting my work list knocked out which also included VAP springs, spacers, air box deletes, clear turn signal markers, LEDs, and yearly maintenance work.

Velocity AP did a great job designing everything and the tune seemed very responsive for the 30 or so miles I drove it.

Heres the issue though the car is just way too loud. The headers and high flow cats coupled with the Quicksilver Supersport muffler are too much for me (and is imagine most others).

I have two options (and open to others if people have them or experience):
1) Go back to factory headers and secondary cats
2) Install a different muffler, potentially either Velocity AP or even factory (I don’t have the factory muffler wasn’t included when I bought the car so would have to find one).

I am trying to make it sound like it did with just the quicksilver super sport muffler. It sounded incredible and was just the right volume. As stated removing the cats on the headers and higher flowing secondaries has made it too loud.

Any advice on how to get it back to that sound is greatly appreciated without just putting the factory parts back on so I can take advantage of the added power and peace of mind not having to worry about primary car ingestion.

thanks in advance for the replies

V12AM 04-13-2019 07:18 AM

Hi, I had exactly the same reaction after fitting the Velocity AP system to my DBS. Even with the option of resonators fitted behind the secondary CATs, it was still too loud and a bit pitchy for my taste.

I fitted a DB9 rear box which helped slightly but still didn’t reduce the tone much.

I have now managed to get somewhere close by fabricating twin H crossovers in the middle section of the exhaust (as per a DB11). The pitch has reduced slightly and it’s quietened things down to the point where I could reinstall the original DBS rear box.

My only other option was to start again and go for the hollowed out, Primary CATs set-up which would (in theory) get back towards the original tone and also give peace of mind with regards CAT ingestion.

I my opinion the characteristic AM V12 road car sound comes from the unequal length of the headers.

Liilpa09 04-13-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by V12AM (Post 4776834)
Hi, I had exactly the same reaction after fitting the Velocity AP system to my DBS. Even with the option of resonators fitted behind the secondary CATs, it was still too loud and a bit pitchy for my taste.

I fitted a DB9 rear box which helped slightly but still didn’t reduce the tone much.

I have now managed to get somewhere close by fabricating twin H crossovers in the middle section of the exhaust (as per a DB11). The pitch has reduced slightly and it’s quietened things down to the point where I could reinstall the original DBS rear box.

My only other option was to start again and go for the hollowed out, Primary CATs set-up which would (in theory) get back towards the original tone and also give peace of mind with regards CAT ingestion.

I my opinion the characteristic AM V12 road car sound comes from the unequal length of the headers.

thanks for the detailed response. So is the car now close to factory sound level with the H pipe, resonators, and factory back box? Seems like a lot of work 🤦*♂️

Im okay if it’s louder than stock as my Quicksilver supersport back box on its own was pretty loud. It’s just currently unbearable and I need to tone it down

are you still using the valves with the factory back box? Set up on oem configuration or with a switch?

V12AM 04-13-2019 01:13 PM

With the current setup the volume is slightly louder than factory. I use a three way switch wired into the valve circuit, giving the option of them being permanently open / closed / standard. With the valves closed the system is very quiet. The tone/pitch is still on the high side. It’s hard to judge but I would say, half way between standard and the original Velocity installation.