6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Strange noise, ASM from Reverse to 1st (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/430843-strange-noise-asm-reverse-1st.html)

howzz1854 04-24-2019 01:19 PM

Strange noise, ASM from Reverse to 1st

is it just me or do you guys notice that sometimes when going from Reverse to 1st you hear that click and feel that vibration from the gear box. it's happened a few times since i've had the car for the past year. it's almost the same feeling you get when driving an Automatic and you get that sometimes too when going from Reverse to Drive and the gearbox does that BAM! kind of Jerk with noise.

MRCW 04-25-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by howzz1854 (Post 4778948)
is it just me or do you guys notice that sometimes when going from Reverse to 1st you hear that click and feel that vibration from the gear box. it's happened a few times since i've had the car for the past year. it's almost the same feeling you get when driving an Automatic and you get that sometimes too when going from Reverse to Drive and the gearbox does that BAM! kind of Jerk with noise.

I get some drivetrain noise from my 2009 ASM. I just had clutch changed 1500 miles ago and no change. I don't think it's much to worry about. At least I don't worry about it

sonies 04-25-2019 08:39 AM

is it like the clunk you get when putting it in first gear?

howzz1854 04-25-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sonies (Post 4779078)
is it like the clunk you get when putting it in first gear?

YES! I guess you could describe it as a clunk. Yeah probably clunk is more like it than click. But you can feel the jerk too tho. Just what is that? When it does it I just imagine maybe the gear latching onto each other and the teeth sliding into place.

J doubleU 04-25-2019 02:57 PM

When it stops making the noise, that's when you worry.

howzz1854 04-25-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by J doubleU (Post 4779153)
When it stops making the noise, that's when you worry.

LOL... funny.

i swear this car is so sentimental and organic, i get so nervous and worked up sometimes. other than the electrical gremlins that we all experience from time to time, you definitely hear all kinds of sound from the drivetrain. you feel the gear shift, and sometimes hear it, and hear some kind of click when changing from Neutral to 1st, and from reverse to 1st you sometimes get this clunk with a jerk. and if you're hovering around 5mph, which is what i call it the chuckwagon zone, sometimes the clutch slams with a kick when you step on it. sometimes i feel like i am driving a flint stone rocket!. coming from a long time of automatic and dual clutch, where everything was smooth and quiet, this is definitely a bit nerve wrecking for me sometimes.

but i do have to say, the twin plate clutch is much lighter and and faster as well. still don't get why Aston dropped the ball on going with the single plate. what a shame and disgrace.