6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Re-mapping the drive-by-wire system (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/431370-re-mapping-drive-wire-system.html)

PaperBoy 05-15-2019 04:55 PM

Re-mapping the drive-by-wire system

was on the fence about an entire ecu upgrade because i dont plan to add many mods to justify one of the awesome ecu upgrades available. My main goal is to improve the throttle response and be able to select a custom map on the fly.

I should be done testing by the weekend...i hope :p
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...a95a8f62d3.jpg

blue2000s 05-15-2019 08:40 PM

What is that thing? The ECU upgrade is worth the money alone. No supporting modifications are required.

PaperBoy 05-15-2019 10:06 PM

custom Diagnostic tool to read/map and control (+/-) throttle response in "real" time.
An ecu tune would put the car in an aggressive (fun) state at all times. but i want something that allows me to adjust the settings as needed..

I just had the car out to test the "valet mode", "letting a friend drive mode", hilarious on up to the "aggressive mode" setting and "full race" mode, but its a bit too wet. hopefully the weather clears up nicely this weekend, so that i can finish and move on to this dated GPS setup in the car

MRCW 05-16-2019 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by PaperBoy (Post 4782387)
custom Diagnostic tool to read/map and control (+/-) throttle response in "real" time.
An ecu tune would put the car in an aggressive (fun) state at all times. but i want something that allows me to adjust the settings as needed..

I just had the car out to test the "valet mode", "letting a friend drive mode", hilarious on up to the "aggressive mode" setting and "full race" mode, but its a bit too wet. hopefully the weather clears up nicely this weekend, so that i can finish and move on to this dated GPS setup in the car

This is very interesting...I have had tunes for other cars...(most recently a JB4 tune on BMW) that you could switch in the fly...

I like mods like this... planning to do a right up?

I looked at upgrading the tired GPS and decided it wasn't worth it and I never turn it on. I opted for a video monitor in rear view mirror and front and back cameras. I use my galaxy note 8 phone with Alexa for all my streaming music and navigation needs.

Interested in how you're project turns out

Prefurbia 05-16-2019 11:23 AM

My SLK55 had a throttle mapping Sprintbooster - a world of difference

PaperBoy 05-16-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MRCW (Post 4782408)
This is very interesting...I have had tunes for other cars...(most recently a JB4 tune on BMW) that you could switch in the fly...

I like mods like this... planning to do a right up?

I looked at upgrading the tired GPS and decided it wasn't worth it and I never turn it on. I opted for a video monitor in rear view mirror and front and back cameras. I use my galaxy note 8 phone with Alexa for all my streaming music and navigation needs.

Interested in how you're project turns out

yes, ill shoot a video this week.

yeah, youre right about the GPS....I think ill just "mirror" my cell phone into the stock screen. would be a lot easier.

where did u mount your rear cam?

PaperBoy 05-16-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4782469)
My SLK55 had a throttle mapping Sprintbooster - a world of difference

yes, will be the same. it will be plug n play as well :)

I thought about this last night...with my GF telling me that ill want more out of the car if its readily available via a full ecu tune. I'll be able to "dumb down" the throttle response for valets or kick it up a few notches

I think i may put in an order with Velocity AP for their ecu...

Im all over the place with this car. LOVE it so far!!!

Dalecannavan 05-16-2019 06:48 PM

I can’t wait to see this in person. Maybe at Exotics at Redmond town center.

PaperBoy 05-16-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dalecannavan (Post 4782558)
I can’t wait to see this in person. Maybe at Exotics at Redmond town center.

I should have it finished and running for the next event :)

Zettinger 05-17-2019 02:07 PM

That sounds great!! I'm excited if that works.

Why would you need an ECU from VelocityAP if you got it working on the stock ECU?

MRCW 05-17-2019 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by PaperBoy (Post 4782477)
yes, ill shoot a video this week.

yeah, youre right about the GPS....I think ill just "mirror" my cell phone into the stock screen. would be a lot easier.

where did u mount your rear cam?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...82b4aa3a7e.jpg
just above the license plate

PaperBoy 05-17-2019 08:53 PM

nice! looks "clean" :)

Irish07@VelocityAP 05-21-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zettinger (Post 4782686)
That sounds great!! I'm excited if that works.

Why would you need an ECU from VelocityAP if you got it working on the stock ECU?

From what the OP posted for a pic, that looks to be a throttle pedal booster. It'll multiply OR reduce the demand from the throttle pedal (depends on settings). It provides the ability to limit throttle, or make it more touchy to act like its removing the throttle delay. It works off voltage, it won't be able to demand more voltage to try and unlock power(that would just put the vehicle into limp mode). Therefor it won't be able to demand more BHP/TQ than whats already present, it just re-scales how you press the throttle pedal.

When we do a ECU tuning file for that Vantage, there's more things altered/edited involving timing, AFR, catalyst enrichment, throttle pedal "torque" rescale..etc (I can scale normal / sport / revers..that way when in reverse it's not over touchy) , even things like the exhaust bypass can be altered(anything your engine ecu controls, can be altered by a tuning file). Something that I don't encourage is creating a separate file for Valet mode, simply because you would have to flash this file every-time you wanted it active..thus if you had an early model it would also wipe out your misfire correction factors. However by using one of these Throttle Pedal Boosters, you would be able to activate the Valet mode and limit the throttle demand on the fly, regardless of throttle position being WOT.

By applying a VAP tuning file, would equal more overall power (limits in stock file raised and your custom demands applied , like removing throttle delay)
By applying this throttle pedal booster would allow you the ability to control how you want the power delivered...although limited to what the file in the ecu has for available power.