6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Aston Martin Warranty Issue (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/431457-aston-martin-warranty-issue.html)

Prefurbia 05-20-2019 12:09 PM

Aston Martin Warranty Issue

I recently traded in my pristine 2015 V12S at Ogara Aston Martin of Beverly Hills for a 2017 V12S - I may write about the dealer experience later on, but when I got the car, the crystal keys did not start the car, they work in accessory mode, but pressing the keys fully does not start the car, the plastic key worked, so I thought no big deal, it's a new car, and certainly Aston Martin would cover inoperative keys under warranty, so I would wait until I brought the car to Morries Aston Martin for other work last Friday to program the keys. Illya, the regional Aston Martin rep refused to cover the programming under warranty and I was told to pay $220! Is Aston Martin that broke that they would penny pinch on something that without question any car manufacturer would cover as a warranty issue? The car was used 'new' with 160 miles on it, timeless certified with 2 1/2 years left on the factory warranty, and another year I purchased at the sale. Obviously nobody used the crystal keys as the car sat on the dealers lot, and the keys never did fully work. Ogara I'm sure will reimburse me, but it's pitiful that Aston treat a customer of a $145K purchase this way, and that now I have to deal with getting reimbursed by Ogara, and not them handling it behind the scenes. Shame on you Aston Martin Corporation.

BMW-North 05-20-2019 01:59 PM

Aston Martin & Dealer Warranty determination policy

2 Attachment(s)
The attached is the Warranty Policy that Aston Martin and the dealers are supposed to follow. It is an interesting read. I suspect that your issue falls into section F.2.3 - whereby the condition existed, known by and noted by the prior dealer. - they are responsible for the repair cost, not the second dealer nor Aston Martin. Be it dealer #1 or #2 or AML it is semantics for the customer - and probably not the best policy, but if you want a really good laugh read the process for determining a Goodwill repair - to me it reads like "How can we find a way out of this if you're not buying another Aston Martin?"

Edit: I find these two statements in the "Goodwill" section rather telling of AML's true Goodwill policy (What's in it for us?)

The objectives of customer satisfaction and retaining brand loyalty are clearly of benefit to all concerned and therefore Aston Martin expects that there will be occasions where dealers will contribute towards customer goodwill costs.
• Goodwill payments must be deemed to increase customer satisfaction and/or repurchase intention.

Prefurbia 05-20-2019 02:11 PM

Actually the condition was NOT known by the first dealer - so that would not apply. I suspect the car was delivered with the Glass Keys never used, so it actually does not apply because it left the factory that way. This is like saying the first dealer never used the Apple Car Play, and the owner from the second dealer used it for the first time since leaving the factory, to discover the defect. So, in that case, the first time someone accesses a function or feature that a dealer does not necessarily have to deal with, that should be the customers problem? I simply do not buy it.

Mathman85 05-20-2019 02:16 PM

If the dealership didn't have knowledge that the key didn't work, then how do they know that you didn't purchase a glass key independently and try to use the warranty to get it programmed?

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that this is probably their line of thought.

Ron Avery 05-20-2019 02:17 PM

This sort of ****, should be an issue on a car in this price bracket!! I agree with you, Aston Should cover the $. Especially since you’re a multi Aston Martin owner and/or purchaser. Let us know what happens.
Ron

Ron Avery 05-20-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mathman85 (Post 4783034)
If the dealership didn't have knowledge that the key didn't work, then how do they know that you didn't purchase a glass key independently and try to use the warranty to get it programmed?

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that this is probably their line of thought.

I would think, that the info about the keys and how many came with the car, or were purchased for the car and when. Would be in there computer database.
Ron

Prefurbia 05-20-2019 02:28 PM

The keys came with the car but were as new in the box like jewelry - the dealer did not have prior knowledge that the keys would not start the car - they tested it by inserting the keys and when the accessories all lit up like normal assumed that the keys would start the car - they were wrong, but what mechanic would assume otherwise - the keys were on the option list and window sticker - so they were part of the delivered car. It's pitiful that Aston Martin would hold a customer responsible... just pitiful for what $220?

BMW-North 05-20-2019 02:56 PM

I thought that you had acknowledged with the dealer that the crystal keys did not work and were resigned to having it attended to later with other work at a different dealer? Sorry if I misunderstood. Even so my point is that IMHO these should by covered under warranty in any regard & the cost paid for by AML or the Dealer while a vehicle is still under full warranty. Did you ask why it was not covered under warranty?

Do the crystal key fob contain a battery - does the complete discharge of the battery cause this condition? Is the key fob recharged from regular use in the vehicle (similar to BMW)? I'm trying to understand the reason for a warranty denial - if the aforementioned key fob battery characteristics are true I guess a dealer could argue "neglect" for warranty denial?

BMW tells owners to periodically use all keys to keep them from complete discharge.

Edit: to add, I do coding on vehicles - mostly BMW - to initialize a key fob takes about 30 secs and uses no consumable components or supplies. Given you are a demonstrated repeat buyer what does the regional AM rep not get?

Prefurbia 05-20-2019 04:34 PM

After the car was shipped to me and I received it the keys arrived in a box and appeared new - I checked the keys and they did not start the car but worked as 1/2 in for accessories - that is what was tested when Ogara got it, so they assumed all was OK when they did the certification inspection. I assume they did a real inspection, because they found the clutch to be bad and replaced it. The battery was not the issue, I assume they left the factory defective. Anyways, Morries ended up charging $179 for the programming which Ogara is covering by sending me a check. I don't think Ogara should cover what should have been a warranty issue - especially on a'new' delivery (a left over 2017 never sold other than to be listed as used for discounting). More irritating, is that Aston puts the customer in the middle - they should have delt with this matter behind the scenes directly with Ogara. It's just not right is all I'm saying - it's not about the money.

Mathman85 05-20-2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Avery (Post 4783039)
I would think, that the info about the keys and how many came with the car, or were purchased for the car and when. Would be in there computer database.
Ron

Knowing that the car came with a crystal key doesn't guarantee to them that he didn't go buy a second crystal key and try to get it programmed for free. And I could be wrong, but I didn't see a unique serial number on my crystal key that would identify is at the one the car came with.

(Just playing devil's advocate.)

Yes, they should absolutely resolve this, and I'm surprised they didn't immediately offer to. I'd bet the dealership I take my car to (Napleton's Aston Martin of Chicago) would've taken care of it without any fuss at all. Sorry you're not having the same experience.

handyman2009 05-21-2019 05:55 AM

Can your Crystal key lock and unlock your doors??

Prefurbia 05-21-2019 05:57 AM

The crystal keys that came with the car from the factory did everything correctly - except actually start the car - the plastic key that came with the car was fine.

handyman2009 05-21-2019 06:02 AM

If you had a second plastic key that was programmed to your car you could get that Crystal key to start your car yourself but I assume you only have 1 plastic working and 1 crystal not working.

Prefurbia 05-21-2019 06:04 AM

No the car came with one plastic key and two crystal keys from the factory - that's how it was optioned on the window sticker. The plastic key worked fine - the crystal keys did everything but start the car. The car had no previous owners and 160 miles total on delivery.

handyman2009 05-21-2019 06:07 AM

Sorry I missed that you have 2 x Crystal keys that didn't work... Yeah you will have to get the dealer to add them to the car as they are no other way of doing it