Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Creep mode feels stronger after hot starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:34 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Creep mode feels stronger after hot starting

hi guys,

not sure if you guys noticed this. but those of us with ASM1 which has the creep mode function. have you noticed that the creep feels stronger after hot starting the car? like for example when you cold start in the morning, it feels fine. but when you stop at a gas station to fill up, and start it back up (hot start), and when you pull away from the gas station, the creep mode feels a lot stronger, like the car just wants to punch off the line when you lift off the brakes. but after about 10 mins of driving, it smooths out and becomes normal again. and if you happen to give it a bit of gas while creep is about to lock, it gives you that lurch.

Last edited by howzz1854; 07-20-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:07 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Actually. Mine seems stronger when it's cold...I have a new clutch work less than 2000 miles on it

Old 07-20-2019, 03:11 PM
mine sometimes when it's cold also seems stronger. i guess basically, it seems like right after you start the car, it always seems stronger. but after 10 mins or so driving it becomes normal.

is it because it runs rich when you first start the car i wonder. that's the only reason i can think of.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:14 PM
does yours kick when under 6mph just when the creep is supposed to LOCK the clutch and you give it gas? the twin plate made that smoother, but wondering if there's a way to make it completely go away. it's like you either have to wait for the creep to lock, or engage the throttle before the creep to avoid that kick sometimes.

Last edited by howzz1854; 07-20-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
My guess is you need to have the clutch life checked at the dealer as it may be at the end of its life. Or you need to search about clutch learn on cold starts if it's ok. Do you have information on last replacement of the clutch or if it has ever had software updated in the last few years. You are under the mercy of a computer that does the work and if the throttle or brake switch has a fault it could change between hot/cold also.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
My guess is you need to have the clutch life checked at the dealer as it may be at the end of its life. Or you need to search about clutch learn on cold starts if it's ok. Do you have information on last replacement of the clutch or if it has ever had software updated in the last few years. You are under the mercy of a computer that does the work and if the throttle or brake switch has a fault it could change between hot/cold also.
it's a brand new twin plate clutch with 4K miles on it. i noticed this even with the old single plate clutch before it was changed out. it's like the creep is strong when the car first starts, and clutch tends to be grabby, so jerky when you step on the gas just when it's about to lock.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Sounds like it's not the clutch it's self could be a brake switch adjustment needs checking if you have been good doing clutch learn on cold starts.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 PM
yeah i've been doing daily clutch learns EVERYTIME it starts. the car shifts fast and eager, hypershifts at redline as well, much better than the old single plate clutch. just the creep is strong when first starts up.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Maybe I'll bring it by the dealer sometime and have the tech do a drivability test. Vantages are supposed to be jerky at low speeds due to the creep mode but I just don't known if mine is extra jerky or just normal jerky.

You guys never have the jerkiness when the car is hovering around or below 6mph?

Old 07-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Maybe you are just expecting too much, sounds like it might just be normal if it did it before the clutch replacement. It's not the best feature since it changed with the updated gearbox.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Maybe you are just expecting too much, sounds like it might just be normal if it did it before the clutch replacement. It's not the best feature since it changed with the updated gearbox.
Thanks for your input. So your experience was purely with ASM II then? Becasue that's when they took the creep mode away.

Yes as I said I noticed this even with the old single plate. But single plate being single plate, the effect felt more dramatic. With the twin plate at least everything is smoother and it's just a slight jerk not a kick in the butt kinda jerk.

Guess it's part of the charm