6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Audi (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/audi-51/)
-   -   Are Audi's WAY overpriced? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/audi/139375-audis-way-overpriced.html)

996TTDave 08-01-2008 10:37 PM

Are Audi's WAY overpriced?

[edited_ ]

Pipper6speed 08-02-2008 12:41 AM

All luxury brands are. I don't think Audis are too overpriced. A fully loaded 3er goes for $55K. A fully loaded S5 goes for about the same or a little more. Fully loaded new M3 is $70K+. RS4 is similar to the M3 price. RS6 isn't that much more than an M6. However, I'll guarantee that you'll see way less RS4's, S5's, RS6's, and R8's than any BMW, Mercedes, or whatever else. I guess, in a sense, you do get some exclusiveness with that price, which is nice. The S5's have long waits and there are hardly any at the dealers. The BMW dealership my friend was just at had 10 M3's and they weren't moving.

Where did you read about a $70K TT? I highly doubt it will cost that much.

KareemA4 08-02-2008 10:56 AM

^^^ you read my mind about Audis exclusiveness
lol
You dont see that many high performance Audis on the street.
count how many M3s you see daily, and then how many RS4s you see.....

lig 08-02-2008 11:22 AM

I agree with the above poster - all of these marques are overpriced.

You want to talk about depreciation - look at your former cars in your sig list (I never really understand why people do that but that's beside the point - at least it's better than how some guys list their daddy's cars :D )

Turbo S - mass depreciator

E55 - same thing

Try and find an R8 or S5 @ MSRP. Tough to do. That would indicate to me that the market is saying they are fairly priced at the moment.

JP-S-St.Louis 08-02-2008 08:48 PM

I looked at the TT S-line a while ago and thought it was a great car for 15-20K less then they were asking. If you look at resale on those things you will never buy one new.

996TTDave 08-02-2008 10:53 PM

[edited_ ]

KareemA4 08-04-2008 07:32 AM

I went to my dealer today and I saw a 3.2 TT S-Line Convertable for $51k
That wasn't a bad deal
It was also fully loaded.

invncble 08-04-2008 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 996TTDave (Post 1979027)
I was reading about the new TTS only to find it's going to cost around 70k... for a TT? I was dumbfounded, imo, this car is about 15-20k overpriced and have found that most higher performance Audi's are about 10-15k overpriced

S5, 10k overpriced - same if not lesser performance as e46 M3, which was priced at 45k when it debuted

I think they are crazy overpriced and suffer large depreciation due to it

The 70K for the TTS was derived from the conversion of euros to dollars. It's MSRP should be much less than that.

Pipper6speed 08-04-2008 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by invncble (Post 1982463)
The 70K for the TTS was derived from the conversion of euros to dollars. It's MSRP should be much less than that.

Yeah, you can't do that. Audis sell more or less relative. If it was 45K euros, expect $45K dollars, maybe a tad more, but not much.

AntonioDestiny 08-04-2008 05:55 PM

70k for a Audi TT they can definatley stick it up you know where :D

AUDIHenry 08-05-2008 01:40 AM

No, that's a common mistake people make with pounds and dollars conversions.

Anyway, Audis were always priced lower than Mercedes and BMW and consequently had a "bargain" image for a long time. A while back they decided to up their prices just to give people the impression that they are on equal footing.

I find it amazing that it seems to have work. Here people are talking about exclusivity and everything!

cohenfive 08-06-2008 07:26 AM

i think it depends on the car...the s5 to me is pretty fairly priced for its segment at about $60k loaded (but i wish it had a real sunroof!!). that puts it cheaper than the new m3 by about 10% based on msrp (but the m3 is being discounted while the s5 is not). the r8 is a unique animal so its pricing is solely based on supply/demand, and demand is still ahead. the rest of the audi lineup seems to me to be priced on the high side but there are discounts around on most of them, and the normal depreciation which puts them about where they should be imo...

2ndGen.rocket 08-13-2008 10:10 PM

All I know is, I love mine. With the Stasis Challenge makeover it is about to get, I'm sure I'll love it even more. As an all-around package, it blew away any 3 Series, IS, or Benz that I drove.

AussieRS 08-13-2008 11:31 PM

You'll see a fraction of RS4's on the road compared to M3s. Audi is more about being exclusive when it comes to their high end vehicles. This exclusivity will cause an increase in price. Also stated above, the A5/S5 is currently being sold above MSRP, ~$10K above, let alone the R8 way above MSRP, ~$50K above.

Also, I read earlier that the TTS would be around $55-60K. Considering the TT MSRP is between 35-45K, depending on engine, I don't see how a $10-20K mark up is anything unexpected or to be considered overpriced.

Audi's are not overpriced, you get what you pay for.

HRD SEL 08-14-2008 05:06 AM

I think they are a bit overpriced for what you are actually getting. Two examples:

- MSRP of an Audi S5 vs. MB C63.......Roughly the same, C63 the choice without question

- RS4 Cab with a ~$84k MSRP and limited production. You can pick up one with a couple thousand for mid-high 60s. I really don't think the car is worth $84k new; its far more than its direct competitors.