6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Audi (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/audi-51/)
-   -   S8 incredible offer??? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/audi/202460-s8-incredible-offer.html)

kabbanid 02-21-2010 05:54 AM

S8 incredible offer???

The Audi dealer where I live is selling a brand new 2008 S8 (in fact 6 of them) with no mileage at an incredible discount. The original asking price was USD 130,000 and the price is now USD 85,000.

The car has every imaginable option including the ceramic breaks and the B&O sound system.

Pros:
1- Incredible car to own and drive:cool:

Cons:
1- Still a lot of money for a 2008 model
2- New 2011 A8 will have a very different interior and exterior
3- No resale value and I predict at 45% depreciation the minute it leaves the showroom
4- The car has been sitting in the dust and sand in very hot weather for two years under a covered shade.:mad:

Who thinks it is a good bargain and who thinks it is not?

djantlive 02-21-2010 07:11 AM

price seems like a good value. as u said, they'll depreciate more. are you considering buying bc you actually need or want one? or just bc its a good deal? if its the latter, i'd not pull the trigger. so many times have i thought of buying a bargain. each time, i end up only realizing that's not what i really want or need.

kosmo69 02-21-2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 2735857)
price seems like a good value. as u said, they'll depreciate more. are you considering buying bc you actually need or want one? or just bc its a good deal? if its the latter, i'd not pull the trigger. so many times have i thought of buying a bargain. each time, i end up only realizing that's not what i really want or need.

+1. Dont buy something just cuz its a good deal. $130k seem high. does it have dealer installed options and or dealer markups?

kabbanid 02-21-2010 08:06 AM

Well djantlive, I am at a point in my life where I need to reward myself with a car that I love driving. I am currently driving a XC70 that I bought not only because I like it, but also because I can move the family around. Since my wife has Merc. ML and she drives the kids around most of the time, I thought of getting myself an enjoyable drive, something to keep me smiling after a long hard day at work, while driving back to the house.

My mind was set on a 911S and there was nothing in the world that could have changed my mind....until I saw and test drove the S8. The power and luxury made me think that I could have the best of both worlds. The power and handeling of a 911 and the luxury of a Mercedes at a very attractive price.

But again like every emotional buy, one sometimes stops and thinks. The depreciation on a 911 will not be as much as it will be on the S8, plus the S8 is a 2008 model whereas I would get a 2010 911. Agree the 911S (the one that I have in mind is more expensive than the S8 by 17,000USD) but I know I will not loose as much as when I resell the 911S compared to reselling the S8.

Choices, choices;)

kabbanid 02-21-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kosmo69 (Post 2735889)
+1. Dont buy something just cuz its a good deal. $130k seem high. does it have dealer installed options and or dealer markups?

kosmo69, the original price was $130k, selling price is $82k!

kabbanid 02-21-2010 08:11 AM

oh and yes, the dealer is offering warranty for three years from the date of purchase and 5 year free service!!

The car has every option you could imagine kosmo69

RocC4S 02-21-2010 10:40 AM

If you are in love with the car, and intend to keep for a few years, sounds too good to pass up.

euro400 02-21-2010 11:49 AM

This sounds like a great deal. By the way could you let me know which dealer this is?

UMADBRO 02-21-2010 12:20 PM

It is a good deal, but as said before you shouldn't buy a car based entirely on price. I'm just not a big fan of the heavy S8, despite the intoxicating V-10 exhaust note it's lethargic, and handles like a tank compared to MB, BMW etc.

lig 02-21-2010 12:29 PM

I love the S8. I just don't need a car that large. Personally I like the looks of the outgoing S8 better than the new A8s.

I fail to see any correlation between the driving dynamics of a 911 to the S8 however. A huge front engine AWD car vs a rear engined GT?

kabbanid 02-21-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by lig (Post 2736187)
I fail to see any correlation between the driving dynamics of a 911 to the S8 however. A huge front engine AWD car vs a rear engined GT?

You have to drive it to feel it. I agree they come from two different world, but the sensation of driving a long big car that has the reaction and turning feeling of a small coupe is truly impressive.

timedk 02-22-2010 01:00 AM

That sounds like a incredible deal. I have not seen a single S8 optioned with the Ceramic Brakes. You mentioned they have 6 of these? Any chance you can post up / PM where. I am interested as well. Thanks

cohenfive 02-22-2010 08:07 AM

as far as depreciation goes, if your entry point is on the low side that will take some of the sting out of the depreciation. that being said, just for yucks i just ran a 2008 s8 on kelly blue book with 1000 miles in 'excellent' condition. take it with a grain of salt, but the 'private party value' was $81k....that might indicate that the dealer pricing is on target rather than super cheap...but if it's a car you really want, maybe you just go for it! on the warranty, if the car is new shouldn't it come with the normal full factory warranty and probably audicare as well?

colt45 02-22-2010 08:18 AM

sounds like a good deal if they still have full warranty.

kabbanid 02-22-2010 09:13 AM

cohenfive I agree, it is basically being sold at the price of a used 2008 in excellent condition. The warranty will start from the date of purchase for three years and there is a free service package for 5 years.

On the other side, since these cars were (and still are) parked for 2.5 years in the sun, I guess I need to ask them to change the tyres and battery. I saw the car today, it is very dusty and needs to be polished, but the dealer assured me that it will look like new after they clean it.

Could there be any hidden problems as a result of the cars sitting out with all the dust and sand getting all over the place? I guess the rubbers would all be dried out and potentially lead to cracks and leaks. I agree they would be covered by the warranty, but the hassle of going to the workshop and waiting for the repair is something to consider too.