6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Automobiles For Sale (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale-29/)
-   -   WTB: Torn between a Gallardo, GT3, or Audi R8 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/177811-wtb-torn-between-gallardo-gt3-audi-r8.html)

roro 07-05-2009 12:01 AM

WTB: Torn between a Gallardo, GT3, or Audi R8

Hi all,

I haven't been on here in a while but I'm getting the itch again to buy another exotic. I had the yellow gallardo and sold it early this year.

I was going to get a 2003-04 Murci but after much thinking, I really want to buy a more low-profile car that I don't have to stress over when it comes to attention...that car is just born for "breaking necks" wherever it goes. I guess if I find a deal I can't turn down, I'll seriously consider it...it IS a Murci!

Anyways, question for all you experts:

I’m debating about getting another Gallardo, Porche GT3, or Audi R8.

Kind of leaning towards the GT3 or R8...maybe back to a Gallardo

QUESTIONS:

1) What’s difference between the 997 Turbo vs. GT2 vs. GT3?
2) What do you think about the 2008 R8 and the prices….I can get one for $105-108K white/black. There is a V10 version coming out though so not sure what the prices of these in the next few months.

Any input provided is appreciated Thanks!

huy 07-05-2009 12:17 AM

turbo = awd
gt = track tuned
2 = 2wd turbo + more power
3 = 2wd non turbo

r8 is a great daily driver exotic. maintenance is relatively cheap, rides nice, great visibility, reliable, lots of creature comforts. prices are fair, i'd say. v10 is nice, but is less than Gallardo.

if you can get a murcielago, then why not?! you'll be breaking necks and drawing crowds everywhere you go with these other choices...

Targa Tim 07-05-2009 12:30 AM

not sure how to respond to your post without knowing how much time you spent road vs track, and what other cars are in your garage.

out of your 3 choices, GT3 all the way for me, I'm never interested in your other 2 choices.

roro 07-05-2009 12:34 AM

Thanks for the info Huy!

So is a Turbo (not-GT2) is still faster than a GT3, correct? Other differences are cosmetic?

roro 07-05-2009 12:37 AM

Tim,

I don't really go to the track. I just use this for highway driving and weekend stuff.

I got rid of my F360 last year and a Gallardo earlier this year. I also had a 2002 996 Porsche Turbo about two years ago. Right now, I only have my family cars...a MB SUV and a Range Rover Sport. ...feeling the need for something fast again....maybe early signs of a mid-life crisis at 33 years old.

villains_turbo 07-05-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by roro (Post 2451108)
Thanks for the info Huy!

So is a Turbo (not-GT2) is still faster than a GT3, correct? Other differences are cosmetic?

Are these questions serious? Not the type of questions I would expect to hear from a guy that previously owned a G and is even in the market for one of these others you mention.

To answer you (i guess), is NO - the differences between a GT3 and a Turbo are extensive. Yes - the Turbo is a little 'faster' depending on who is driving it and where.

roro 07-05-2009 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by villains_turbo (Post 2451257)
Are these questions serious? Not the type of questions I would expect to hear from a guy that previously owned a G and is even in the market for one of these others you mention.

To answer you (i guess), is NO - the differences between a GT3 and a Turbo are extensive. Yes - the Turbo is a little 'faster' depending on who is driving it and where.

Yes, of course these questions are real. I love cars but I'm not like a total gear head that knows all about cars. Porsches are the least I know about. I had my 996TT for only like 6 months. I mainly get them for what they look like. I don't go the track ot race etc. I am a serious buyer and in the market to get one.

Anyways, thanks for the answer. I'll do some more research on the GT3 as that is what I like over the Turbo from what I see.

However, I keep going back to a Gallardo...looking for orange or white. I had yellow before.

huy 07-05-2009 10:45 AM

yes, turbo is faster than GT3. probably more suited for the non-track enthusiast. AWD is far safer for your average joe. the turbo is fast... like gallardo fast.

Dr_jitsu 07-05-2009 12:36 PM

Gallardo fast is a misnomer...

Ro, do you want something that can hang in the Houston roll on scene? If so, I would go for a GT2 w/ 24/18's and some other upgrades. That would be a car w/ looks and serious performance. I could help you w/ the power upgrade options and we have some very good mechanics here in town.

However if you just want a pretty and luxurious cruiser then I would go w/ an F or L car. Of course there is a proven TT kit for the L car now available if you want to break the bank.

One thing is for sure, there are incredible deals out there.

roro 07-05-2009 03:23 PM

Is this Sean?!

Hey man, how have you been?

I'm looking for something that looks good more than how fast it is at this time. I'm not really into the racing more than taking it out for a cruise on a weekend or dinner somewhere nice or driving daily. I work too much to race :)

I do like the gt3 and maybe do some minor aesthetic mods to it as well as some performance.

I don't want another F car right now. I like Gallardos but already had it ...still swayed to that side since I like the car.

I had a 2002 996 turbo that i loved so that's why I thought about the GT3 since I havent had that.

The R8 looks cool but since a V8 is coming out...dont know how bad that will affect prices later if I buy now?"

I need to decide quick!

porsche.tay 07-05-2009 03:50 PM

Gt3 MKII

If you can wait, i would suggest to consider the GT3 MkII.

Dr_jitsu 07-05-2009 04:02 PM

Yes, this is Sean. I would only get a GT3 if I wanted a hard core track car. Sounds like a Lambo or Audi is the car for you.

PAULIEWALNUTS 07-05-2009 04:51 PM

I'm looking for something that looks good more than how fast it is at this time. I'm not really into the racing more than taking it out for a cruise on a weekend or dinner somewhere nice or driving daily. I work too much to race :)

Roro the Gallardo seems like the right choice,from what you have described.

ps I am sorry you have to admit that you know Sean.:D

BOOMER7 07-05-2009 05:02 PM

Get the White Gallardo and you will be very happy:D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...T/untitled.jpg

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/BOOMBAHBULLET/

erubin 07-05-2009 08:16 PM

I love the orange Gallardo and it seems like the right choice. The R8 is also a great car and will be less expensive to maintain.