Location (State):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

How do you buy car from private party and drive it home?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:37 AM
gjpearce is on a distinguished road
How do you buy car from private party and drive it home?

Year: 2001
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Price: $1
Mileage: 100
Color: white
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): TX
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

I am about to close a deal from a private party- car is in Texas and I live in Florida. I am thinking about driving car home. What to do about license plate??? Florida will not issue plate/tag without visual inspection of vehicle. How do i drive the car thru 5 states without my name on tag- do i ask seller to lend me tag or do I get loaner dealer plate from someone/anyone...what to do?
I promise that I will not drive this 700HP modded 911TT more than 5 miles over speed limit.......until I get home and car is put in my name!
Help me please....

Old 11-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor
JWrightPNH is infamous around these parts
You should be able to leave the current plates on the car and be fine as long as you can show a bill of sale from the owner and provide current insurance on the car should you be pulled over. I hope this helps..
Good luck and keep the shiny side up!

John

Old 11-14-2015, 01:42 PM
PorscheEnthusiast is on a distinguished road
As stated above all you need is a bill of sale stating that the registered owner has sold the car to you. Have a copy of the registration with the sellers name with this bill of sale and a copy of up to date insurance.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:29 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
OMG bought "that" 700HP Turbo...Congrat! I am envy!

if was me I would have her transported to FL. Legally the seller can remove the license plate once sale is final.

Good luck with the trip if decided to venture.

Last edited by tphan; 11-14-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:54 PM
HTA_EVO8 is on a distinguished road
You can get a temp plate from TX DMV but that means standing in line...
If you're not in a hurry it wouldn't be a bad idea, the must have paperworks are already stated above, bill of sale, signed title, copy of seller drivers license, proof of insurance
A couple mos ago I went to LA from Kansas City MO to pick up an Exige, went to get a temp tag from LA DMV cause the seller talked me into it. It was pouring outside and there's really not a good spot to affix the paper tag on an Exige so I end up not putting it on and just left it in the car with other docs.
Drove thru TX with TX state troopers giving me the thumbs up.
As long as you don't speed they usually don't stop you, this is the first time I've gotten a temp tag usually I just have the other docs on hand

Old 11-14-2015, 03:39 PM
PorscheEnthusiast is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HTA_EVO8
As long as you don't speed they usually don't stop you
Easier said than done

Old 11-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Dave1442397 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HTA_EVO8
You can get a temp plate from TX DMV but that means standing in line...
I sold a car to a guy from VA and didn't know him, so didn't want to let him drive away with my plates. He was able to use the VIN to get a temporary tag from the VA DMV to drive the car home.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
temp tag from tx and bill of sale and title. have your insurance print out a form with coverage and buy a ticket one way. enjoy the trip home!

Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
a borrowed dealer's plate or temp tag will both do and will be a lot of fun for ya OP, i'll be more worried about the mechanical condition of the car otherwise the fun trip could turn into a nightmare, it's a looooong trip.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Tremelune is on a distinguished road
Unless you go the DMV with paperwork beforehand, it's illegal. If I were a seller, I would not lend a buyer my plates and I would cancel the insurance immediately.

That said, it's common. Get it insured, put your own plates on it, have the title and bill of sale (don't leave them in the car), and go with the flow of traffic all the way home.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:26 AM
saintv90 is on a distinguished road
I got a temp tag from my bank. Did a wire transfer when I picked up the car. Easiest car purchase ever.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
ship it

Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 AM
JRHorne is on a distinguished road
I've bought my last 4 cars out of state and drove them back with NO plates (temp or otherwise). One I drove from Pittsburgh, one from Philadelphia, one from Fredricksburg, and one from Richmond all back to NC.

I was pulled over once in PA on my way back because of no tag. Showed the Highway patrol the title and my insurance, he told me enjoy the drive back and that he loved my car, and his wife really wanted one (CTS-V). I was also doing about 12 over when he saw me, never said a word about it.

Drive smart, have your proof of insurance and bill of sale or title. You'll be fine.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
I just pull the plate from a current vehicle and use that. Keep it cool on the way home. Rather do that then get hassled for temp plate verification or get stopped with NO plate.

I also loaned my plate to the guy that bought our 944 and drove it back to San Diego. He was a good dude and trusted he wouldn't rob any banks on the way. :-) He mailed the plate back immediately. Good karma.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 AM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
Either drive it home with the plate on the vehicle and mail it back. Or you can get a temp tag in the state of the vehicle to drive it home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you buy car from private party and drive it home?