Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Chipped the Bentley GT with the GIAC chip..... WOW!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
From what I understand, they always had plenty of power; however the engine was slow to respond due to multiple factors. 2008 model changes included a change in the turbos along with changes in air flow; thus the 2008 models seem to react quicker to throttle input so they seemed faster.
The speed also got some internal changes along with the other changes which apparently gains most of its power due to increases in efficiency. The boost increase is quite small comparable to total gain. I have driven an 05 and it seems sum what sluggish unless you put your foot down and held it. The speed I drove seems somewhat the same way with transmission in normal mode. While it is vary linear, the power output only goes up a little for the first half of the movement. Once you switch to sport mode, all seems to change.
Further evaluation and reflection revealed that it allows the car to act as a luxury car with little sense of a sporting character when driven easily. Change transmission setting and add some extra throttle and the whole car seems to switch character.
My guess is that the chipping of pre 08 cars may make them act much more like the speed, only with still more power output.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
My guess is that the chipping of pre 08 cars may make them act much more like the speed, only with still more power output. [/quote]

That is exactly the way I feel!!!!!

Ice

Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Apparently the software upgrade yields what Bentley would like to sell but for overall sales and possibly some liability they tend to make it a bit more docile.

It could also be that they want to stay w/in EPA mileage guidelines so the car appears more fuel efficient.

Whatever it is apparently it really makes the car screw!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Apparently the software upgrade yields what Bentley would like to sell but for overall sales and possibly some liability they tend to make it a bit more docile.

It could also be that they want to stay w/in EPA mileage guidelines so the car appears more fuel efficient.

Whatever it is apparently it really makes the car screw!

I am not sure that the Bentley boys are that concerned with fuel economy. I think it has more to do with a balancing act between luxury cruiser and back street terror.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
That makes sense but I think it's mostly fuel mileage standards to appease the Congress!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Sezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to behold
Am I asking for trouble if I chip my 2005? (15,000 miles)

Anyone know anyone on the East Coast ho has a reliable chip-set?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
That makes sense but I think it's mostly fuel mileage standards to appease the Congress!
F**k Congress.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
F**k Congress.
Well, tell us how you really feel!

While I agree that approach does not necessarily help sell cars here, and with high fuel prices car makers of big luxury cars need all the friends they can get!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry, I thought I was holding back. It does go much deeper because of my engineering and finance background.
I fully agree with you actually. Many companies have to be political and politically correct even if it is wrong. It’s a shame that total honesty doesn’t seem to fly very well anymore in larger businesses. I am not that old, but old enough to know that honesty and integrity are some of our most valuable values with I will continue to live by and cherish.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
---I am not that old, but old enough to know that honesty and integrity are some of our most valuable values with I will continue to live by and cherish.
I fully agree with this.

No better way to be.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 PM
rjh58 is on a distinguished road
must say, a bently with a chip must be bad ***

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Could the statement be interpreted to now mean that when one owns a Bentley he is in the "chip"s?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Ice, whats up man? How is the insurance affected by the GIAC chip? KIDDING!

So hows about a picture or two of the car to go with the story? I know id love to see it

Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Ice, whats up man? How is the insurance affected by the GIAC chip? KIDDING!

So hows about a picture or two of the car to go with the story? I know id love to see it

Will put some pictures up in a few days.

I have been busy with work and all the other BS.

Hope things are well with you.

Ice

Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM
PHIL2 is on a distinguished road
Vids?