6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Can you self service the CGT ? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/156185-can-you-self-service-cgt.html)

SigFan229 01-01-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by John V. (Post 2673347)
Affording the service from the dealer is not an issue. Myself and I'm sure many others enjoy working on there own vehicles whatever they may be. It's always fun and challenging doing your own work. What a perfect excuse to get out of the house and have a few cold 1's with friends.

And I do see that pleasure, but for me I work on vehicles I know i can do work on. Im planning on building a 32 Ford Coupe, but with a Bentley (where you have more parts, more complex components (and computers) it makes it riskier IMO.

John V. 01-01-2010 11:16 PM

Electronics are not really that big of a problem. Just have to understand how it all works. When should the spark plugs be changed? Got 42,000 kms. Has anyone here done it and how hard is it?

SigFan229 01-05-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by hijk005 (Post 2677164)

me thinks your gonna get your @ss banned lol hilarious

bentley621 01-07-2010 05:08 PM

Spark plugs should be changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles. Not really difficult to do but you have to take the air boxes out and take the upper intake off. Don't know what year your car is but there is currently a campaign on coils. Most dealers will will offer to replace your sparks when doing this if there are close to being due because they are already in their.

Firesun_2001 01-08-2010 09:58 AM

I enjoy reading that some people do and want to work on their own cars.
Its not the matter of how expensive the car is. It is the idea of DIY and finishing the job. Very satisfying to know that not everything have to be given to the dealer to work on. But as for the service records, buyers should just get the PPI done on the car when buying it.

MoeMonney 01-08-2010 11:05 AM

I know a Doctor who has many very rare cars including a Jaguar XJ220. He bought all the tools and works on them himself stating that then he knows that the job is being done well and with extra care. He is very meticulous and it shows with the condition of his cars. I can also comment that I know a former Air Force pilot who told me he met some Russian pilots who worked on their own jets if needed. If you have the tools, patience, instructions and are mechanically inclined why would you not be able to do a good job?

John V. 01-13-2010 08:47 PM

So I just got that little hand scanner tool. Trying to fiquire out how to release the parking brake. When I go to the Parking Brake option a symbol comes up on the dash saying the brake is disabled. Is that sufficient enuff to compress the caliper or is there an option to click on?

Devin1205 01-22-2010 03:42 PM

I've been a long time BMW tech and while I don't know the answer to your question I can tell you that most techs are willing to spend a little time with their customers and tell them stuff for a small show of good faith. If you ask a tech to fix your car outside of work he'll prob say no but if you buy him/her a case of beer or something and ask a few questions most will do that.

bonfire 02-12-2010 10:15 AM

Glad to hear of a fellow canuck working on his own cars. I had never imagined that people on this board with cars such as Flying Spurs, would be working on their own cars.

If you are a doctor, trust me, you can fix a car, this isn't brain surgery.

As stated before, Time, Mechanical inclination, patience, rough guidelines, anything can be accomplished.

medici78 02-13-2010 02:10 PM

Does a VW dealer VAG-Com work on Bentley?

Geo3 06-20-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by medici78 (Post 2725957)
Does a VW dealer VAG-Com work on Bentley?

Would love to know the answer to this question also.....Geo.

Geo3 06-20-2010 04:49 PM

Further on this thread, is it possible to develop a cross-reference of alternative Bentley parts sources?

Just for example, I have found that the similarly, Audi-derived Lamborghini Gallardo, uses Brembo brakes, where pads can be purchased at hundreds of dollars cheaper through Audi, etc.

For example, Gallardo front pads are from Audi RS6 or EBC #DP31513C, while rear pads are from Dodge Viper front or EBC #DP31470C.

Is there are equivalent for Bentley GT/GTC/Flying Spur?

Arpad 06-26-2010 02:18 PM

This may help....http://www.import-car.com/Article/73..._calipers.aspx

Arpad 06-26-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Geo3 (Post 2881409)
Further on this thread, is it possible to develop a cross-reference of alternative Bentley parts sources?

Just for example, I have found that the similarly, Audi-derived Lamborghini Gallardo, uses Brembo brakes, where pads can be purchased at hundreds of dollars cheaper through Audi, etc.

For example, Gallardo front pads are from Audi RS6 or EBC #DP31513C, while rear pads are from Dodge Viper front or EBC #DP31470C.

Is there are equivalent for Bentley GT/GTC/Flying Spur?

==============

Not sure about pads but there isn't anything I can think of in Audi's lineup that runs a 16+" rotor other then maybe the RS6 V10 with ceramics. A8's run either a 14.2" rotor or a 15.2" rotor. The 15.2" rotors are on the W12 and S8's only.

bentley621 07-06-2010 04:41 PM

Yes vagcom will work on all conti. On arnage, azure, brooklands it will work on some stuff. Most control modules are audi, volkswagen. Vag com is a great tool, personally i think it is better than the factory scan tool.