6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Can you self service the CGT ? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/156185-can-you-self-service-cgt.html)

pigcorn 12-28-2008 02:30 PM

Can you self service the CGT ?

I own a Porsche and do simple oil changes to save on the $600 oil change the dealer wants to charge me for. Then I take my $199 duratech tool and reset the service light. Also do my own brakes and filters, the easy stuff.

Can these be done on a CGT for the "home" mechanic.

Looking at a 2005\2006 but no matter what financial situation I am in I hate to pay $2k for service I can do myself.

Neilkf 12-30-2008 01:02 AM

I too prefer to do my own servicing. Problem is, how do you value that stamp in your service record handbook. And how much will potential buyers value it when you come to sell the car. There's nothing much on the schedule that's outside the scope of a competent home mechanic except perhaps resetting the service warnings. I've yet to find a GT service manual available anywhere but I managed to get a VW Phaeton one on CD - it's gotta be close. Paying £200 for oil when I know I can get it for less than £70 smells rip-off to me.

SAFE4NOW 12-30-2008 05:17 PM

my .03 worth

Originally Posted by pigcorn (Post 2191236)
I own a Porsche and do simple oil changes to save on the $600 oil change the dealer wants to charge me for. Then I take my $199 duratech tool and reset the service light. Also do my own brakes and filters, the easy stuff.

Can these be done on a CGT for the "home" mechanic.

Looking at a 2005\2006 but no matter what financial situation I am in I hate to pay $2k for service I can do myself.

I am quite sure that you can physically do the work yourself. But you are getting more than just an oil change when you take it to the dealership. When it comes to the CGT, you paid how many hundred thousand dollars for the car, why skimp on the service? There are checks and balances, they are looking for and could possibly find something that needs attention before it becomes a larger problem.

These are assumptions, but again, its your car. Be caeful... right?!? LOL

Steve

p.s. $600 for an oil service is 3 times what it cost here... I'd make sure you aren't getting hosed there too...

dinorocz 12-31-2008 08:01 AM

I do all the work on my Pcar, but the Bentley is a much tougher car to work on. Oil changes arent an issue but brakes for example are a problem, for one the parts are approx, $2000 alone, but to remove the rear pads you need a their scanner to release the rear caliper. Without that you cant do the rear brakes. I too hate to get ripped by a dealer and I happen to own several repair shops so I do everything on all my cars...but the Bentley is not worth it, many things under the hood also require taking many things apart and its just not that convenient without the correct "special Bentley" tools.

ExoticCarDriver 12-31-2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by dinorocz (Post 2194895)
I do all the work on my Pcar, but the Bentley is a much tougher car to work on. Oil changes arent an issue but brakes for example are a problem, for one the parts are approx, $2000 alone, but to remove the rear pads you need a their scanner to release the rear caliper. Without that you cant do the rear brakes. I too hate to get ripped by a dealer and I happen to own several repair shops so I do everything on all my cars...but the Bentley is not worth it, many things under the hood also require taking many things apart and its just not that convenient without the correct "special Bentley" tools.

That's some good info to know. This is a great board!! :cool:

Here is a pic of the caliper...
http://www.britishcarpartsco.com/images/gtbrakes.JPG

DeAd-EyE 01-01-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Neilkf (Post 2193267)
I've yet to find a GT service manual available anywhere but I managed to get a VW Phaeton one on CD - it's gotta be close.

did you try www.workshopmanuals.co.uk

their service was amazing when i ordered my porsche stuff and i'm on the other side of the pond.

pigcorn 05-25-2009 11:17 AM

I think this thread is worth bringing up again as 2005 Bentley GT's are hovering around the high 70k's...as looking more and more tempting vs spending that on a 997.

I see the workshop manuals on ebay for $275, anyone know where to buy the bentley tools (brake scanner? mentioned above) and anyone know of a reset tool.

Come on guys the internet is all about finding ways to do things yourself without bringing it to the dealer for a "stamp".
On my Cayenne I do all the oil changes, brakes, and have the Durametric reset tool. I hear you with the "service stamp" but I don't look to sell my cars

blitzo 05-27-2009 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dinorocz (Post 2194895)

so it is impossible to remove the rear calipers without a bentley technician? :(

rog2961 05-28-2009 12:01 PM

not impossible

Its not impossible. The underpinnings of a CGT is a modifed version of the A8. I've worked on it before and altho it is tought it is possible to do. You need this software and tool to connect to your car. Its called Vag-Com. Maybe some of you have heard of it from the VW world. Its basically a replica of the tools VW/Audi use. Don't try and purchase the Ebay knock off vag coms they dont work period.

lucky6600 05-29-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by pigcorn (Post 2398235)
I think this thread is worth bringing up again as 2005 Bentley GT's are hovering around the high 70k's...as looking more and more tempting vs spending that on a 997.

I see the workshop manuals on ebay for $275, anyone know where to buy the bentley tools (brake scanner? mentioned above) and anyone know of a reset tool.

Come on guys the internet is all about finding ways to do things yourself without bringing it to the dealer for a "stamp".
On my Cayenne I do all the oil changes, brakes, and have the Durametric reset tool. I hear you with the "service stamp" but I don't look to sell my cars

You are so right about the prices. You can buy so many cars with 70K those days. CGT is one of my long time favor, but a 70K CGT must likely will be out of the warranty. That is a big cons and dangerous.

John V. 12-31-2009 12:26 AM

So it was time to do the brakes on my Flying Spur. Must say the fronts were pretty tuff. Nothing like the 6 & 8 piston calipers on Porsche's & Benz's where you can just pull the pins out to slide the pads in & out. For it you have to unbolt the whole caliper and pop the pads in & out.

Now for the rears I read that you need a "Vag-Com" computer to do them. Just for the hell of it I tried to do it anyway and let me tell ya you can't. Tried every possible way with running the car and turning the E brake on it off with a C clamp on the caliper & it just would not compress. Almost thought that I was gonna have to get the car towed cause afterwards it wouldn't even go back on over the old pads. Finally I got it to compress just enough. Does any know how much a Vag-Com costs and where I can get 1 from? Also what other functions can you do with it?

rog2961 12-31-2009 10:37 AM

http://www.ross-tech.com/ these guys have it

John V. 12-31-2009 11:28 PM

Shoot. I hope this will do the trick, I just ordered it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370240674208&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dm39%26_nkw%3D370240674208%26_fvi%3D1 &_rdc=1#ht_3664wt_941

SigFan229 01-01-2010 07:32 AM

For me, the idea is you can..... but would you want to? when you are dealing with a 60k+ car (figure that was a 180K car) why skimp on service? not to mention these cars have alot of bespoke parts and need specific tools, so the aggravation and hassle it will create is not worth it. Also when considering a car I always consider service of sed car as part of the cost. I mean there are some cars that yea I can just do some minor service to myself, (did my AMG's brakes the other day) but also figure if something goes wrong while doing the service the dealer has to take care of it (say if the brake something) while if you brake it... well you are SOL. If you cant afford the services of such a vehicle, then that vehicle might not be for you. There is another thread in the Ferrari forum and he asked me if its necessary to service a F430 at a ferrari dealer. Considering the F1 servo alone is close to 2K yeaa i would want to. As for the CGT im more inclined to do some services due to it being underpinned with a A8, Honestly its just knowing what you can do and when to throw in the towel and go to a dealer.

John V. 01-01-2010 05:30 PM

Affording the service from the dealer is not an issue. Myself and I'm sure many others enjoy working on there own vehicles whatever they may be. It's always fun and challenging doing your own work. What a perfect excuse to get out of the house and have a few cold 1's with friends.

SigFan229 01-01-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by John V. (Post 2673347)
Affording the service from the dealer is not an issue. Myself and I'm sure many others enjoy working on there own vehicles whatever they may be. It's always fun and challenging doing your own work. What a perfect excuse to get out of the house and have a few cold 1's with friends.

And I do see that pleasure, but for me I work on vehicles I know i can do work on. Im planning on building a 32 Ford Coupe, but with a Bentley (where you have more parts, more complex components (and computers) it makes it riskier IMO.

John V. 01-01-2010 11:16 PM

Electronics are not really that big of a problem. Just have to understand how it all works. When should the spark plugs be changed? Got 42,000 kms. Has anyone here done it and how hard is it?

SigFan229 01-05-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by hijk005 (Post 2677164)

me thinks your gonna get your @ss banned lol hilarious

bentley621 01-07-2010 05:08 PM

Spark plugs should be changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles. Not really difficult to do but you have to take the air boxes out and take the upper intake off. Don't know what year your car is but there is currently a campaign on coils. Most dealers will will offer to replace your sparks when doing this if there are close to being due because they are already in their.

Firesun_2001 01-08-2010 09:58 AM

I enjoy reading that some people do and want to work on their own cars.
Its not the matter of how expensive the car is. It is the idea of DIY and finishing the job. Very satisfying to know that not everything have to be given to the dealer to work on. But as for the service records, buyers should just get the PPI done on the car when buying it.

MoeMonney 01-08-2010 11:05 AM

I know a Doctor who has many very rare cars including a Jaguar XJ220. He bought all the tools and works on them himself stating that then he knows that the job is being done well and with extra care. He is very meticulous and it shows with the condition of his cars. I can also comment that I know a former Air Force pilot who told me he met some Russian pilots who worked on their own jets if needed. If you have the tools, patience, instructions and are mechanically inclined why would you not be able to do a good job?

John V. 01-13-2010 08:47 PM

So I just got that little hand scanner tool. Trying to fiquire out how to release the parking brake. When I go to the Parking Brake option a symbol comes up on the dash saying the brake is disabled. Is that sufficient enuff to compress the caliper or is there an option to click on?

Devin1205 01-22-2010 03:42 PM

I've been a long time BMW tech and while I don't know the answer to your question I can tell you that most techs are willing to spend a little time with their customers and tell them stuff for a small show of good faith. If you ask a tech to fix your car outside of work he'll prob say no but if you buy him/her a case of beer or something and ask a few questions most will do that.

bonfire 02-12-2010 10:15 AM

Glad to hear of a fellow canuck working on his own cars. I had never imagined that people on this board with cars such as Flying Spurs, would be working on their own cars.

If you are a doctor, trust me, you can fix a car, this isn't brain surgery.

As stated before, Time, Mechanical inclination, patience, rough guidelines, anything can be accomplished.

medici78 02-13-2010 02:10 PM

Does a VW dealer VAG-Com work on Bentley?

Geo3 06-20-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by medici78 (Post 2725957)
Does a VW dealer VAG-Com work on Bentley?

Would love to know the answer to this question also.....Geo.

Geo3 06-20-2010 04:49 PM

Further on this thread, is it possible to develop a cross-reference of alternative Bentley parts sources?

Just for example, I have found that the similarly, Audi-derived Lamborghini Gallardo, uses Brembo brakes, where pads can be purchased at hundreds of dollars cheaper through Audi, etc.

For example, Gallardo front pads are from Audi RS6 or EBC #DP31513C, while rear pads are from Dodge Viper front or EBC #DP31470C.

Is there are equivalent for Bentley GT/GTC/Flying Spur?

Arpad 06-26-2010 02:18 PM

This may help....http://www.import-car.com/Article/73..._calipers.aspx

Arpad 06-26-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Geo3 (Post 2881409)
Further on this thread, is it possible to develop a cross-reference of alternative Bentley parts sources?

Just for example, I have found that the similarly, Audi-derived Lamborghini Gallardo, uses Brembo brakes, where pads can be purchased at hundreds of dollars cheaper through Audi, etc.

For example, Gallardo front pads are from Audi RS6 or EBC #DP31513C, while rear pads are from Dodge Viper front or EBC #DP31470C.

Is there are equivalent for Bentley GT/GTC/Flying Spur?

==============

Not sure about pads but there isn't anything I can think of in Audi's lineup that runs a 16+" rotor other then maybe the RS6 V10 with ceramics. A8's run either a 14.2" rotor or a 15.2" rotor. The 15.2" rotors are on the W12 and S8's only.

bentley621 07-06-2010 04:41 PM

Yes vagcom will work on all conti. On arnage, azure, brooklands it will work on some stuff. Most control modules are audi, volkswagen. Vag com is a great tool, personally i think it is better than the factory scan tool.

Geo3 07-23-2010 01:32 PM

Do you think there may be a GT/GTC owner/enthusiast out there, who may set up a site devoted to DIY maintenance of the these models?

It would be great to see and read "how to" articles, etc. on those wonderful machines.

speedy1wrc 03-19-2012 09:15 PM

I'll try and answer a few questions here.

VAG-Com will work on Bentley, yes. It covers all* VAG lines including VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/Lamborghini/Bentley...

You need a VAG-Com or similar for the rear calipers to retract the pistons. The applies to the Audi A6/A8 and Continental. They all use a similar brake setup. Looking at the front suspension you will see that they share a whole lot more too.

You can never use a C-clamp on rear calipers whether a VAG product or not. Rear calipers must be screwed in no just pushed in. Not to worry as any decent brake caliper tool will assist with this.

The dealer may use a VAS 5054 or VAG-Com. Most likely the VAS 5054 since it talks to VAG central for things like radio coding and key coding too. It also interfaces with their parts system.

So for DIY you most certainly can do much yourself. However some things are less DIY than others.

An oil change is easy. However removing the belly oan while on stands of some sort is a chore. There are 6 torx screw in each fender well, 6 across the front and then 6 others in the middle. Then you need to support the belly pan and extract it too. The filter isn't bad you only need a large socket to loosen it then hand turn to finish removing it. I would recommend re-orienting the air hose clamp slightly otherwise re-installing the filter is awkward. Loosening the clamp then turning it slightly upward can give you just enough clearance to get the filter aligned and back in place. Getting the belly pan reaigned and in place while on your back is...fun. Leaving it to someone with a lift might not be a wholly bad idea.

I believe i saw someone post a cost of $200 to have it done and that's not outrageous. Even on a lift working at a comfortable pace it's about a 1.5 - 2 hr job. synthetic oil at around $7/qt plus the labor will put you in that ball park. I just did one today for a good customer and barely broke even at $150. Oh and don't forget a new crush washer for the drain plug!

For anything diagnotic VAG-Com is the way to go The cheapest entry level setup is a few hundred dollars so it isn't for everyone. You'll need it for rear brakes and reading any mfg specific codes. Other than the basic powertrain codes that a generic reader gives you, VAG-Com will allow you to read measuring blocks for every module rather than just 0 that standard readers give you.

I probably missed a few posts here and there, but hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

You can also contact me directly. I don't always get a lot of time to answer specific emails, but I try!

Mark
Wetzel's Imports & Exotics
716-508-0878
mark@wetzelsracing.com