6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Hot Make a Bentley GT Perform Like a GT Super Sport (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/218127-hot-make-bentley-gt-perform-like-gt-super-sport.html)

farris 07-24-2010 06:05 PM

How To Make a Bentley GT Perform Like a GT Super Sport

Ok Guys,

I am amazed at the performance of the GT Super Sport, but don't know how they got so much more power out of it with the same engine. I know they cut some weight and remaped the ECU, but WOW!

So put it simply, how can I mod a normal GT, in the most cost effective way, to make it perform like a Super Sport?

Please list the most highly recommended mods, the estimated performance gains of each to the wheels and the approximate cost for each.

I am aiming for it to beat my F430 in straight line performance :D

stevenrmusic 07-24-2010 06:28 PM

GIAC chip.

farris 07-24-2010 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic (Post 2920766)
GIAC chip.

Surely that isn't enough to get the car into the sub 4 second 0-60s, or is it? :confused:

Intake and exhaust.... are not needed?

stevenrmusic 07-24-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by farris (Post 2920768)
Surely that isn't enough to get the car into the sub 4 second 0-60s, or is it? :confused:
Intake and exhaust.... are not needed?

If you want sub 4 seconds, yes other mods plus remove as much weight as possible. Strip out the entire interior, remove the AC system, remove the spare tire (if installed), remove the radio, remove the car speakers/amplifiers... if you are extreme have a new car body made from carbon fiber, etc and add in a driver CF/Kevlar race seat and 4 or 6 point race harness.

Perhaps the better question may be, how fast do want to afford to go and what sacrifices are you willing to make to achieve it?

farris 07-25-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic (Post 2920784)
If you want sub 4 seconds, yes other mods plus remove as much weight as possible. Strip out the entire interior, remove the AC system, remove the spare tire (if installed), remove the radio, remove the car speakers/amplifiers... if you are extreme have a new car body made from carbon fiber, etc and add in a driver CF/Kevlar race seat and 4 or 6 point race harness.

Perhaps the better question may be, how fast do want to afford to go and what sacrifices are you willing to make to achieve it?

I want to keep the car as luxurious as possible. I don't mind removing the spare, but I want to keep the leather, sat nav and all the other luxuries won would expect from a Bentely.... If the Super Sport can do 0 to 60 in 3.7 secs, then getting a GT with full leather, radio, ac... to do it 4 or 3.9 should be possible, no?

After all, the Super Sport still has full leather, Sat Nav... They did however strip out the back seats and put lighter front seats.

I am trying to establish if 4 secs or less can be achieved with mods and without stripping it out.

Could this not be achieved with:
- Intake
- Exhaust
- Remap of ECU
- Any other mods that wouldn't take away from the luxury

F430Spider 07-25-2010 03:25 PM

Best way it to try - ECU and Exhaust will make the immediate difference- and see how it feels from there - I wouldnt start stripping anything - thats idiotic - if you wanted a stripped down car buy a mustang - I think with those two things it will make an incredible difference compared to a stock SS

stevenrmusic 07-25-2010 05:10 PM

Agreed, try the chip and exhaust first, plus if someone offers a more free flowing intake. That should get you close enough and agree stripping out a Bentley is idiotic. My comments went to the extreme to then see where he was in the 'middle ground'.

cheez80 07-25-2010 05:25 PM

you also might want to try removing unsprung weight -- while it may not affect acceleration as much, it'll pay massive dividends in handling and braking. iirc the supersports has the lightest wheel/brake package available on the continental from the factory

F430Spider 07-25-2010 09:07 PM

Does anyone know what those ss wheels weigh? I wonder what a set of one pec forged wheels would weigh in comparision

PCH 07-28-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by cheez80 (Post 2921642)
you also might want to try removing unsprung weight -- while it may not affect acceleration as much, it'll pay massive dividends in handling and braking. iirc the supersports has the lightest wheel/brake package available on the continental from the factory

I don't believe the wheels are interchangeable. The SS has a wider track.

medici78 07-29-2010 12:14 AM

Evomsit tune and Fabspeed exhaust will get it to run as fast or maybe faster than the Supersports. The speed part is actually easy. However, it will still feel like a boat.

F430Spider 07-29-2010 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by medici78 (Post 2925191)
Evomsit tune and Fabspeed exhaust will get it to run as fast or maybe faster than the Supersports. The speed part is actually easy. However, it will still feel like a boat.

Don't they all? Driving an SS didn't feel that much different to me

stevenrmusic 07-29-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by F430Spider (Post 2925201)
Don't they all <feel like a boat>? Driving an SS didn't feel that much different to me

100% agree. Unless you can get the weight down to around 3k lbs (or lower) imho adding some speed is nice, yet at ~4k lbs the handling is what it is. The other problem is that even if you get it down to 3k lbs, the internal computer fly by wire/handling system MIGHT not do well due to the highly lightened system. Remember, the computer controlled handling system and springs/sway/etc system was tuned for the higher ~4k lbs weight. If Farris rally wants a track 'weapon' like car then the Bentley in any flavor is the wrong tool (like bringing a knife to a gun fight).

And yes, Farris said he wanted a GT to be like the SS and a few mods should do it. Please allow me to 'Soap Box' for a moment here.

Don't get me wrong, yet no way the SS or any current flavor production Bentley would compete with a mere $35k F2000 car on a road course track (other than the main straight where the Bentley has an advantage). At the $80k level a Formula Atlantic (FA) would eat the Bentley alive all around... yet of course these track weapons are not street legal. The again such cars lack any real semblance of creature comforts, no great audio system, no smoothness in their handling like a luxury road car, no space for storing groceries, etc.

So my point is that if you want a true top-notch luxury grand touring street legal automobile with power the Bentley is truly amazing. Best car for DRIVERS who also desire all day luxury and of course GRAND Touring. If you want a track car then there are other options (or even a Ferrari CS and Ferrari 360 can be had for $75k folks but you can forget all those nice Bentley amenities and lower total cost of ownership of the Bentley versus that italian price tag for servicing). The middle ground is a unique zone that i have been down the road with (per se) by highly modding an exotic Italian car with the aid of various highly qualified engineers. In the end i regret modding the Italian car, it was a great lesson in engineering and compromise, yet in hindsight it was stupid in that it ruined the relative smoothness of public road driving while still being less than optimal on road course tracks because i wanted a faster car.

Of course to each their own and am simply sharing my experience. i DO realize this is a bit OT, yet wanted to share my thoughts. Your goals and desires are your wish and truly do hope the original poster Farris seeks what he wants to achieve, which seem like a bit more power versus redoing the suspension with harder Energy Suspension bushings, bigger anti-roll bars, etc.

Fabspeed Motorsport 08-01-2010 09:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0HHlQb9hzw

08Turbotip 08-07-2010 06:48 PM

With Evoms ecu and RSC exhaust in my 06 GT, we smoked a F430 Spider repeatedly 0-110. Prob would of held him off to 120-125 or soo.. The GT has an awesome launch. On VBOX with 3 people in it we recorded 0-60 in 4 sec flat, and 12.90 in the 1/4.